Spanking your kids is a Felony

Dude, I read through your posts, what is not sinking into your skull is that everyone is different. What works for some does not work for others. I have 6 kids, yes 6 and they are all different and require different levels of attention, end of story. One day when you have kids come back and read through your posts and you will want to bang your head on your desk.

PS, you can not know how to be a decent parent unless you are one. Just because I can do well on Gran Turismo doesn't mean I can drive NASCAR.

You misunderstand me then. I replied to Intrinsica before seeing this post and stated to him I'm aware that everyone is different. My point is this: Seeing as those nonviolent punishments worked on me, it's clear they work on some children; thus, they can be effective. Of course they will not be effective on all children, but neither will spanking. Even if nonviolent punishments aren't effective, violence is not the answer.

One could punch a child, and the child would be perfectly fine afterward and not be bruised. Does that mean that isn't child abuse? Of course it doesn't.

No. I spent hardly any of my day playing my Playstation, but I played on it regularly. When my mother confiscated it, I learnt my lesson and knew not to misbehave in the same way again.

Spanking also hurts. Grounding worked fine with me.

No, I'm not too soft. I just know how to be a decent parent.

Is punching and spanking the same?

I never relied so much on my nientendo.. If my parents took it away, I'd have some other toy or movie I could play with, or play outside. Never worked for me.

I don't know you, but I'd guess you are pretty soft. Judging by how you responded to me, you sound like you could be a whiney brat.

I agree with your signature but your parenting leaves much to be desired. Violence is left to the wicked, not your own children.

Violence is the intent to do harm, no parent intends to harm their child when spanking. If they wanted to harm the child they would. There is an easy and unmistakable line between spanking and trying to cause harm.

This PC stuff is getting us nowhere fast. Look at the crime rate, drug use, teenage pregnancies. For God's sake, I used to get spanked in School. Maybe now I can sue the Board of Education... :whistle:

Your morals are not others and you have no right to put them on anyone else.

Oh dear. What is with the replies of some people? Of course I'm aware of that; I have never stated I have a right to put my morals on others. I'm expressing my opinion; it's what these forums are for! Would you post such a reply to someone who is claiming that murder is wrong? I doubt you would. Spanking is against the law where this indicent took place, and I am commenting on the situation. What do you not understand about this?

You're judging people's actions on a whole area of life you know absolutely nothing about other than what you may have seen in movies or read. Unless you've babysat a 2 year old brat 24/7 for 2 years and potentially for the next 10-14 years, then you really have nothing else to say.

I don't have children, I'm sure as hell not going to tell a parent what they should or shouldn't do with their child or judge them on what they do other than the extremes. Spanking isn't one of them.

Most of this forum has no children, yet most of them are posting an opinion about what parents should do as we speak.

Judging people is natural and healthy. Most young people are foolish, but even older people act like children.

Healthy children are not overstimulated to the point of losing rational focus.

Have you ever seen children playing on a playground? You have totally lost any shred of credibility that you could have had on this forum with the totally moronic statements you have been spewing here. Welcome to my ignore filter, and likely the ignore filters of many other more intelligent and experienced posters here.

You misunderstand me then. I replied to Intrinsica before seeing this post and stated to him I'm aware that everyone is different. My point is this: Seeing as those nonviolent punishments worked on me, it's clear they work on some children; thus, they can be effective. Of course they will not be effective on all children, but neither will spanking. Even if nonviolent punishments aren't effective, violence is not the answer.

Worked on you how? Your definition of success is probably far different than mine. Based on your posts I am wiling to bet if someone yelled fire you would quickly run out of the building and call 911. I am also willing to bet my kids would run into the building and try and save people.

Is punching and spanking the same?

They're both physical harm.

I never relied so much on my nientendo.. If my parents took it away, I'd have some other toy or movie I could play with, or play outside. Never worked for me.

I'm talking about confiscating every single thing the child uses for entertainment, for a period of time, not just one thing.

I don't know you, but I'd guess you are pretty soft. Judging by how you responded to me, you sound like you could be a whiney brat.

I'm not soft at all. I don't take any ****; however, I don't agree with physically harming anyone.

Violence is the intent to do harm, no parent intends to harm their child when spanking. If they wanted to harm the child they would. There is an easy and unmistakable line between spanking and trying to cause harm.

Hitting kids, whether it's with an open hand to the side of the head or a baseball bat, is still hitting them. As they grow older, they will see violence as a means of resolving disputes, as well as hitting their own children.

Those kids should be taught to hurt only those who mean others harm, not to hurt those who need corrective measures.

Oh, Jesus. What is with people and their stupid replies?

No more stupid than your replies.

Let's make a deal: You let us know when you're going to be somewhere with your children that you 'strongly suggest' things to during their development so that the rest of us can avoid that place like the plague until you and your little demons are gone. Fair enough? Thanks!

Are you one now? Do you speak from experience? I am more willing to believe someone who has been there.

I'm not a parent currently, but I do speak from experience. I was a child who had a parent, as were both my sister and brother. I was there to witness how children reacted to different punishments, and how I reacted myself; therefore, I speak from great experience. 18 years of experience, in fact. Not only that, but one doesn't have to be a parent to know how to be a good one.

I used to get paddled in school. Big ass wooden paddle with holes in it. I broke that one day by putting batteries in my back pockets... that's how hard they would "paddle" us at school. It hurt like hell, but they stopped using the paddle after that day. Was a big victory for me :)

Hitting kids, whether it's with an open hand to the side of the head or a baseball bat, is still hitting them. As they grow older, they will see violence as a means of resolving disputes, as well as hitting their own children.

Those kids should be taught to hurt only those who mean others harm, not to hurt those who need corrective measures.

just a simple question, what country are you from? I just want to get an understanding for your ideals and where they came from

Have you ever seen children playing on a playground? You have totally lost any shred of credibility that you could have had on this forum with the totally moronic statements you have been spewing here. Welcome to my ignore filter, and likely the ignore filters of many other more intelligent and experienced posters here.

Most children in public schools and playgrounds are horrible, desensitized, unhealthy, maldeveloped, immoral, irrational, and repugnant people, just like their parents are.

just a simple question, what country are you from? I just want to get an understanding for your ideals and where they came from

California.

I used to get paddled in school. Big ass wooden paddle with holes in it. I broke that one day by putting batteries in my back pockets... that's how hard they would "paddle" us at school. It hurt like hell, but they stopped using the paddle after that day. Was a big victory for me :)

Clearly you were malnourished to not listen to reason.

They should be taught that as an adult when you throw a tantrum in a night club and start throwing stuff around, you're either going to be arrested and charged with crimes and/or beaten senseless by some bouncer.

Most children in public schools and playgrounds are horrible, desensitized, unhealthy, maldeveloped, immoral, irrational, and repugnant people, just like their parents are.

yeah, and I've seen far worse in private schools, where they go makes no difference

No more stupid than your replies.

Let's make a deal: You let us know when you're going to be somewhere with your children that you 'strongly suggest' things to during their development so that the rest of us can avoid that place like the plague until you and your little demons are gone. Fair enough? Thanks!

You call my replies stupid, yet you assume my children will misbehave just because I'll bring them up without physically harming them? I don't think I even need to reply to that. . . .

California.

didn't know California was a country ;) clearly you are unhealthy and maldeveloped not to answer such a simple question correctly :rofl:

Do you remember how your mom disciplined you when you were two? And do you honestly believe taking a toy from a 2/3-year old would work? In 90% of cases I've witnessed, it just makes them louder.

Worked on you how? Your definition of success is probably far different than mine. Based on your posts I am wiling to bet if someone yelled fire you would quickly run out of the building and call 911. I am also willing to bet my kids would run into the building and try and save people.

So even though I've stated I don't like people physically harming others, you assume I wouldn't try to help people in danger. You are very wrong, and I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion. It was only the other day I was telling one of my friends that I'd take a bullet for a stranger, if someone tried to hurt them, and I would. I'd always risk my life to save others.

It worked on me because I learnt to behave. It's as simple as that.

You call my replies stupid, yet you assume my children will misbehave just because I'll bring them up without physically harming them? I don't think I even need to reply to that. . . .

eh don't listen to what others say, you can parent a child perfectly and they could still act out, its a personality.... I've seen parents that spend every living minute with their kids teaching them, playing with them, being perfect parents, yet they still throw tantrums when they don't get stuff.... its programmed in our minds how to react to some stuff

Do you remember how your mom disciplined you when you were two? And do you honestly believe taking a toy from a 2/3-year old would work? In 90% of cases I've witnessed, it just makes them louder.

I've pointed out that confiscating things doesn't always work, but I've also said I don't believe violence is ever right. There will be ways to teach a 2 year old how to behave without physically harming it (I've not yet looked into those ways because I'm not expecting to be a parent any time soon; I just know there are ways).