Windows Phone Mango (beta) reviews

George P

I was going to post some of these as well, good stuff. I still get a kick out of some sites/people who say (it's nice but is it enough to keep up with iOS5 and whatever the next android version is, 2.4? meh. Give it a rest already, iOS5 is adding things that WP7 already has not bringing anything new or innovative. Mango will catch the others and even pass them in a few areas, like with the deep linking and updated live tiles etc. That's some real innovation right there.

Timan

Tell you one thing, multitasking looks 10x better than it does on my iOS5 device. Nice seeing ms not slacking with this update like they did with the last.

guru

i think this nails it..

The most odd thing about "Mango" is the lack of a "killer feature". That's not a put down either. What we mean is there are so many new things on board, that there can't be an agreed upon single "wow" feature. Instead, the user is allowed to pick and choose what they feel is the best. For myself? The performance improvements, IE9 and Bing are all amazing, with IE9 being ground-breaking. For others though, the tight social-network integration or Office improvements could be their killer feature. In short, there's something for everyone in this update.

and this

In our opinion, Microsoft has so far done a fantastic job with "Mango", delivering many new features, fixing complaints from users and expanding the usage of our smartphones way beyond what "NoDo" has given us. What makes "Mango" so interesting is nothing feels tacked on. It's not like Microsoft saw what the competition was doing and decided "we can do that too!", resulting in an OS that has features haphazardly slapped together, but nothing to unify them. The changes in Windows Phone 7.5, on the other hand, feel like an extension of a vision, of a philosophy of how our mobile phones should work. While Apple has simplicity down (just one button!) as their guiding force, Android seems to have a "throw the kitchen sink in there too" mindset, resulting in a more chaotic, inharmonious experience.

anf this one from pocketnow is contradictory with WPCentral

Holy cow there are a ton of new features in Windows Phone Mango! We didn't even get to try the Twitter integration since that's not working yet. We've been told that it's working on internal servers, but the public Windows Live servers will have to be upgraded before a wider rollout. We also haven't been able to try the app deep linking, background tasks for 3rd party apps, and in-app live tile pinning just yet, but from what we've seen in this preview build running on existing Samsung Focus hardware, there is a lot to look forward to. Many of these new features are mainly bringing Windows Phone up to speed with the competition, yet there are a number that are quite innovative and sure to make Windows Phone stand out above the crowd.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/the-ultimate-windows-phone-7-mango-preview

now if Nokia and other OEMs push out well designed handsets.. we'll see some nice competition for iOS and Android.

imagine this with WP7

nokia-n9-2011-06-21-0.jpg

greenwizard88

That's pretty cool. I personally am excited for WP7 1/2

George P

That liast line is something I agree with. No other platform has the deep link and new life tile system or anything close to it. In a more general sense it is up to par with the others but then there's those 1 or 2 little things that set it apart as well. This was also a beta build, I bet MS is still holding out on us and has some more things to show.

flexkeyboard

You have to say Holycow PocketNow! they know how to do a review huh!

guru

Gizmodo likes Mango *The end is near*

In the meantime, I'll say this: Pending some killer Nokia hardware or totally radical Android redesign, I think the choice this fall for all but the nerdiest of nerds is going to be very simple. iPhone or Windows Phone. Nothing else is that pleasant.

http://gizmodo.com/5813901/the-next-windows-phone-its-pretty-great

jakem1

Yeah, I was really surprised by Gizmodo's summary. I agree with what GP007 had to say but I'm sure Gizmodo must have found it really hard to say anything nice about Microsoft let alone recommend their product. I gave up on Gizmodo years ago when it became clear that they were competing with AppleInsider for the title of biggest Apple sycophants on the web.

guru

They have a point, most average phone users aren't tech geeks etc, they don't want to root their phone and all that stuff. WP works for them just fine.

agree. i was just surprised at Gizmodo liking Mango.

on a related note : no beta :/

downhillrider

i want a 4.5 screen!

XIII

Damn LOL, give me Mango already, god damn it :D. How come all the good thing in life always do not come right away ?

guru

Damn LOL, give me Mango already, god damn it :D. How come all the good thing in life always do not come right away ?

there was rumor that mango would be a public beta then MS decided not to (?) :/

George P

I think devs will get to update their registered phones soon, I mean the press got to play with it this week so a more "open" beta can't be that far behind I'd say.

BajiRav

i think this nails it..

and this

anf this one from pocketnow is contradictory with WPCentral

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/the-ultimate-windows-phone-7-mango-preview

now if Nokia and other OEMs push out well designed handsets.. we'll see some nice competition for iOS and Android.

imagine this with WP7

nokia-n9-2011-06-21-0.jpg

that looks like the original iPod nano? :laugh:

alexalex

They have a point, most average phone users aren't tech geeks etc, they don't want to root their phone and all that stuff. WP works for them just fine.

Most average phone users just don't look at a WP7. It's Android or iPhone. That is why WP7 just don'y sell.

Most Average users don't give a s*** about new OS updates/versions, that's why there are so many Androids with 1.6-2.1 OS versions still selling.

Rudy

What keeps me away from WP7 is the metro look :/

scumdogmillionaire

Mango looks awesome!!! So many useful things. Love my Samsung Focus!!!

What keeps me away from WP7 is the metro look :/

Have you used it? It grows on you and actually is very nice. I was never sold on the early screenshots, but wanted the functionality. Now, I love it!

jakem1

There's a new video of the touch focus feature out for those who wanna take a better look. To date only pocketnow showed it in their review, and it was quick.

http://wmpoweruser.com/touch-focus-on-windows-phone-7-mango-demoed/

I didn't know that was coming in Mango but it's good to see it return. It's such a sensible feature that I'm surprised they left it out in the first place.

Blah, blah, blah

:sleep:

George P

I didn't know that was coming in Mango but it's good to see it return. It's such a sensible feature that I'm surprised they left it out in the first place.

Yeah, this is good for one handed picture taking, being able to just tap on the screen instead of trying to hold down the button to focus and then take the pic is a plus.

Most average phone users just don't look at a WP7. It's Android or iPhone. That is why WP7 just don'y sell.

Most Average users don't give a s*** about new OS updates/versions, that's why there are so many Androids with 1.6-2.1 OS versions still selling.

Nice way to contradict yourself and yet again show that you have no clue. You say people don't look at WP7 and only care about Android and iPhone, yet then you say people don't care about OS versions or updates. So which is it? They don't care about what the phone is running so all it has to do is look good and work how they want, or they do care about which OS and want Android or iOS/iPhone specifically? You can't have it both ways.

Fact is people who are fine with a feature phone are just as fine with a WP7 device over an Android or a iPhone with it's old and tired PC usage concepts/UX. People who think of their phone as a phone and not a mini-PC see WP and like it once they've gotten a chance to use it.

WP7 not selling well has been shown to be a case of ****ty sales people, most of which are probably trying to flog that Android clone phone #23432243 for their spiff without even knowing jack about WP7, let alone using it.

• 2 weeks later...
guru

Microsoft's Mango Nails It

I've only seen pictures and videos, but I understand what the reviewers mean. Applications swing in and out of view as if you're opening and closing doors. Click an email thread, and it pops open. It gives the impression that when you navigate around the device, you're moving through a real space -- like some kind of ever-shifting funhouse.

It looks as if Microsoft has actually crafted an innovative product here. Instead of apps, the Start Screen features an improved version of the live tiles -- customizable boxes that change depending on the app they represent -- that were introduced in WP7. In addition to the obvious tiles -- email, messages, and the like -- you can assign a tile to display the weather or keep you up to date on your friends' Facebook and Twitter activities. You can also pin things such as apps, playlists, and pictures to the home screen for quick access.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/07/02/microsofts-mango-nails-it.aspx

i wish MS quit dragging its feet and release Mango as a public beta already