Windows Phone Mango (beta) reviews

Not everything is wonderful though:

Suggested attractions are terribly far away (in the context of New York City). And a lot of the review sections are completely barren. Or take text-to-speech: Admittedly, my vocal range approximates a redneck gorilla after half a bottle of whiskey and four packs of cigarettes, but not a single one of the text messages I dictated, no matter how precise my diction, came out correctly. (Optical and audio search were far more successful, though.)

Maybe these things will be worked out by RTM. Of course I'd like to know what the success rate is on text-to-speech for iOS and Android. It really is dependent on how much your voice approximates the Midwestern accent.

i wish MS quit dragging its feet and release Mango as a public beta already

But unfortunately never going to happen due to the carrier based setup of Windows Phone devices - each individual carrier would have to test, customise it and allow it on their devices, and they're typically the people handling all the support and warranties for their customers. They don't want to waste the time and expense to do so, or cover the warranty problems with running an unfinished and not entirely tested OS build.

All the developers who have the Mango BETA have their carrier warranties voided right now (Microsoft is covering it for the BETA period), but I'm sure carriers wouldn't be best pleased with that setup if it was a public BETA (not least because all hteir other carrier customisation would be removed), and I doubt Microsoft would wish to cover warranties potentially for every single WP7 device out there.

One thing I don't want is the carriers fiddling with the UI. That's one reason I want nothing to do with Android.

Its not carriers, its the manufactures of the phone. Example HTC sense. Carriers might add apps...

The only thing a carrier can do is add tiles after the first default 4, phone, people, messaging and email? or is it IE? I forget since I moved things around. But that's it, which is fine really. If you don't like the apps you can unpin them and or uninstall them right away.

The only thing a carrier can do is add tiles after the first default 4, phone, people, messaging and email? or is it IE? I forget since I moved things around. But that's it, which is fine really. If you don't like the apps you can unpin them and or uninstall them right away.

That is one nice thing about Verizon's HTC Trophy. It only comes with Netflix, Shazam, and My Verizon preinstalled (outside of the default WP7 apps). All can be uninstalled, which is nice. On an Verizon Android phone, some apps can't be uninstalled without rooting it, and etc. Personally, I don't mind any of the apps that the phones come with as long as it's reasonable and useful. I've had the Droid Incredible, which has plenty of space for apps, and such. Still, didn't stop me from rooting it and installing CM7.