Chevy S10 Average Life

I am looking at buying outright a 1998 Chevy S10 Pickup with 147K miles on it. The body is in great shape and the price is right on with the Kelly Blue Book if not a tad lower from the dealer.

Does anyone know what the average life of these is with regular maintenance?

I have read anywhere from 200k on up for miles, but wanted to know if anyone has any real life experience?

My '91 lasted until '09 but only had about 150K on it. It had a slight oil leak and one day the transmission just crapped itself (Might have been my fault, I didn't keep up with the fluids it needed often enough). The rest of the engine still ran great though. My friends have seen it driving around town since I sold it, so I guess someone put a new tranny in it and got it running again no problem.

my dad had a 94' s10 with a 2.2L that went to about 270k before he got rid of it. He replaced the head gasket once, had to get the tranny rebuilt twice. He only changed the oil every 6k miles. It still ran just fine when he got rid of it, he just wanted something better for the winter, it was two wheel drive.

2.2L 4 banger or 4.3L Vortec V6?

One of the first things to fail is the fuel pump. A good sign is if the fuel gauge jumps around erratically or reads full all the time.

I have a 98 S10 Blazer 171,500 miles which shares almost all the same parts as the pickup.

One thing I can say about them is they will nickel and dime your ass to death.

If it is a Chevy, I don't give it much more than 150,000 before the truck starts falling apart little by little (check post 5, 4, and 3).