"The government is dumbing down schools" says former Director of Ed

Laguna Loire

According to this woman who used to work for the United States government, the government officials who operate the United States education system, as well as other education systems, are deliberately dumbing down today's youth. I know that they do this to a certain extent in order to create docile workers, which is what school is basically for, creating a work force. However, I'm not sure it's to the extent that the woman is talking about. What do you guys think?

Solid Knight

There's also a lot more to know. My parent's college books look like my highschool textbooks.

Fred Derf

[Thread Moved from DP to It's a Conspiracy]

Brian Miller

Reasons to stay in school, kids...

Brian Miller

I actually see this in today's youth. As a recruter, I often find th0se below the age of 30 are very poorly educated, despite being highly educated.; the education they received is worthless.

It's very sad as I want to hire intelligent Americans for our business but they are few and far between, perhaps 1 in 10000 American resumes shows any hi-standard. What is more disturbing is that we are now forced to look elsewhere to offer these jobs, like India.

I know Bill Gates went to congress a few years ago to raise this exact issue.

Brandon

Our educational system is based on what grade you get, not what you learn.

If teachers/professors were able to teach information that is actually useful to students in ways where they learn the information rather than memorize it, we would be 100x better off.

Instead, student have to cram information that they either

A: don't care about

B: realize that they will not use it after the class is over

C: have too much to memorize at the same time that is unrelated

D: have no incentive to retain the information past the said test

Our educational system is too focused on "General Education" learning.

Five years later, I don't remember much of anything about my Calc, Geometry, Chem, Bio etc classes.

iamawesomewicked

If teachers/professors were able to teach information that is actually useful to students in ways where they learn the information rather than memorize it, we would be 100x better off.

Instead, student have to cram information that they either

A: don't care about

B: realize that they will not use it after the class is over

C: have too much to memorize at the same time that is unrelated

D: have no incentive to retain the information past the said test

Our educational system is too focused on "General Education" learning.

Five years later, I don't remember much of anything about my Calc, Geometry, Chem, Bio etc classes.

Then they go to University for 4 years, and end up working at McDonalds after they finish.

Brandon

Then they go to University for 4 years, and end up working at McDonalds after they finish.

A lot of that would be the fault of the students themselves though.

I'm going into my 4th year of college (senior year) and well over half of my friends have not held a real job or internship yet.

A few of my friends don't have a job at all; those that do work as a bagger at the local grocer, a waiter, summer camp etc. Only a handful of us have internships or research positions at various companies.

If you graduate from your college with no real-world experience, it doesn't say much.

+LogicalApex

I actually see this in today's youth. As a recruter, I often find th0se below the age of 30 are very poorly educated, despite being highly educated.; the education they received is worthless.

It's very sad as I want to hire intelligent Americans for our business but they are few and far between, perhaps 1 in 10000 American resumes shows any hi-standard. What is more disturbing is that we are now forced to look elsewhere to offer these jobs, like India.

I know Bill Gates went to congress a few years ago to raise this exact issue.

I don't disagree with you that a substantial proportion of students today lack basic skills, but I have to question your statement...

How can you know if a candidate has any intelligence from the resume alone? In my experience many people are "educated" paper wise, but once they open their mouth you see it very clearly.

Greatest example in my personal experience. I was talking to a friend of my brother who has a Masters degree in Business Administration (MBA) and she had no clue what Supply and Demand is in economic terms. Said she had never heard of it before...

On a resume you would see her, MBA, and me, BBA, and you wouldn't know that she knows less about business than me until you actually talked to us...

presence06

But the government is helping us live the "American Dream" right?

That's all that people care about. And that "Dream" is only that, it's what you make it. Sadly in today's world, even if you have 7 years of college/school behind you there's no guarantee that you'll have a successful job after graduation. You have a higher chance, but that's it. Just keep sending people to college and get raped by the universities and pay off your debt flipping burgers.

America, Home of the "free", land of the "stupid"

+LogicalApex

But the government is helping us live the "American Dream" right?

That's all that people care about. And that "Dream" is only that, it's what you make it. Sadly in today's world, even if you have 7 years of college/school behind you there's no guarantee that you'll have a successful job after graduation. You have a higher chance, but that's it. Just keep sending people to college and get raped by the universities and pay off your debt flipping burgers.

America, Home of the "free", land of the "stupid"

The only difference is now the government will pay off your debt while you flip burgers...

cork1958

I don't know about the government as a whole dumbing down students, but they sure are here in my area. Most of the teachers here don't even try to teach. They're just there for the pay check!

My kid has been a straight D (barely) student all the way through school until this past year when we basically told the school to kiss our a** and put him in the alternative section of the school. MUCH smaller classes and the teachers actually teach AND communicate with the parents. Lowest grade the kid received this entire past year was 1 B+!! Made the honor roll every marking period and was student of the month 3 times!! Will be going to the same alternative ed section of the school again next year and am hoping he can match that feat.

Doesn't help with dumb s**t sites like Facebook, Twitter and such where no one even tries to spell the whole word out either when typing stuff!! Yes, I blame todays ignorant youths on those socially diseased sites as much as parents handing everything under the sun to the kid, no questions asked or responsibilities expected.

And just think, my parents thought us members of the baby boomer generation would totally screw things up!! Well, maybe they were partially right if you consider those 2 stupid Bush's we had for Presidents as baby boomers!!

Fred Derf

If they take Philosophy and Sociology majors then yes. Some degrees are going to be a lot more practical than others. Far too many students choose their major for the wrong reasons.

DoctorD

I have been saying it for years, it's almost like the movie They Live but without the aliens and in broad daylight. Most youths today are taught to take a test and don't retain the information they are given. In my local school the kids use block schuldeing having only 2 core classes ( math,english,science,SS) per day for 80 minutes and 2 other elective classes for 80 minutes and they are every other day. The kicker is that they only have Phys Ed once a week, so not only are they bored in class they are not being challenged physically.

Growled

And that is the problem. Most people memorize enough to pass a test and finish the course, but they rarely learn the material. I've learned a million times more stuff since I've finished school than I ever did in school. We are graduating educated idiots.

Hum

And that is the problem. Most people memorize enough to pass a test and finish the course, but they rarely learn the material. We are graduating educated idiots.

^ Agreed.

But I guess it's either graduate them, or keep paying to keep them in school an extra 10 years. :laugh:

Charisma

I think people are going to be the way they always have been though--the more intelligent someone is, and the more they enjoy learning/want to learn, the more useful they will be, whether they even attend a school or not. Plenty of people get by just because they are autodidacts and/or have a natural talent for what they do, and even within an organised school system, the ones who do best are always the ones who take initiative themselves to learn and go deeper than what's presented.

Growled

I think this goes back to what I've said many times, not everyone is college material. The way our society functions now is if you don't go to college you are a loser. That's just wrong. The only ones who should go to college are those who need the education, like doctors and lawyers and engineers. The rest should go to work.

ahhell

Standardized testing is the problem.

Today, teachers only teach for the test and that's it.

Black Flash

I don't disagree with you that a substantial proportion of students today lack basic skills, but I have to question your statement...

How can you know if a candidate has any intelligence from the resume alone? In my experience many people are "educated" paper wise, but once they open their mouth you see it very clearly.

Greatest example in my personal experience. I was talking to a friend of my brother who has a Masters degree in Business Administration (MBA) and she had no clue what Supply and Demand is in economic terms. Said she had never heard of it before...

On a resume you would see her, MBA, and me, BBA, and you wouldn't know that she knows less about business than me until you actually talked to us...

.....How is that even possible? :huh:

Ci7

.....How is that even possible? :huh:

second that.

i learned that back then when i was in middle/high school

sound it is Business 101