A few hamsters died [Update, some downtime]

Early this morning (in Europe) one of our database servers stopped responding, but because we are totally awesome this didn't actually bring down the whole site, because we split up the services across many of our server resources, it did however affect searching and the all important/can't live without (for some people) "My Content", which no longer works.

If you don't care about that, or site development (which is also affected) then you needn't worry yourself.

We have people looking into the issue, and hopefully our hardware isn't affected, which means normal service shall be resumed in due course.

Update: Well not site downtime, but it grabs your attention :p

One of our servers will be pulled from the rack later today (probably afternoon/evening EST) Stardock has kindly offered a spare ESXi server to host the two VM's that are on the server that needs looking at, and transfer of that will take anything up to 2 or 3 hours, after which our own server will be put through its paces. That server has failed twice since December and it's our newest server, so instead of kicking it like we did last time, we're going to see if there's a hardware issue.

This is to inform you that things could get slow again later for a period, but Stardock has resources to cover us while our server is out.

So, thanks Stardock!

"We have top men working on it right now."

"Who?"

"Top. Men."

alright, I always wondered where that quote was from every time I heard it on family guy, could someone explain it to me, I think I missed a movie reference somewhere or something :laugh:

I thought the whole site was being hosted in the US by Stardock :unsure:

We share the same datacenter, but Neowin LLC is it's own entity, meaning we pay for that privilege and the servers are ours :)

We share the same datacenter, but Neowin LLC is it's own entity, meaning we pay for that privilege and the servers are ours :)

do you guys have a Co-lo now or is it just one location?

the all important/can't live without (for some people) "My Content"

No need for sarcasm. It's a good feature, and yes, some people need it.

Should really use cats to be honest... Much more resilient to demanding work.

They are much lazier than hamsters :( They sleep about 95% of the time..

Besides, I think Swuzzlebum would be too addicted to Neowin and lose focus on her schooling if Neowin was run by cats.

do you guys have a Co-lo now or is it just one location?

Yes it's co-lo, one of the reasons it was moved from Chicago a while back.

Read that totally wrong, we are in one location but as I understand it we have more than one access point to the backbone, unlike in Chicago. So better connection, and closer to Stardock HQ (who manages our servers on-site).

Aside from being incredibly lazy, the negligible amount of time that they would work could easily be halted by a sudden movement like sneezing. Plus, they can't be replaced as easily and quickly as hamsters.

LOL @ the Swuzzlebum jokes :D So true!

Cats are definitely lazy, the server would be up for max 4hrs a day because the rest of the time the cats would take a break to go sleep for 2-3hrs for 1hr of work. LOL

They are much lazier than hamsters :( They sleep about 95% of the time..

Besides, I think Swuzzlebum would be too addicted to Neowin and lose focus on her schooling if Neowin was run by cats.

Aside from being incredibly lazy, the negligible amount of time that they would work could easily be halted by a sudden movement like sneezing. Plus, they can't be replaced as easily and quickly as hamsters.

LOL @ the Swuzzlebum jokes :D So true!

Cats are definitely lazy, the server would be up for max 4hrs a day because the rest of the time the cats would take a break to go sleep for 2-3hrs for 1hr of work. LOL

I retract my statement. Your comments combined with me noticing how little Anya actually moves during the day, has changed my answer.

I propose cats with laser beams. They tend to like those. On hamster wheels.

If that's too expensive, what about ants? They're hard workers.

I totally agree with that my good sir :yes:

And to those who're writing that cats are lozy ********, you're totally doing it wrong :)

If that's too expensive, what about ants? They're hard workers.

They would start a workers rights union immediately, like those pesky Apple Store workers have only thought of after ten years! :p

Weren't you going to replace the hamsters with gerbils?

We replaced them with genetically modified, non-union gerbils a long long time ago, Steve's just not up to date :p