Got Mango on Omnia 7

So I just did the non-official update way and success! I'm so excite to make this thread lol. I'll report in later with my impression and review. Check back later.

Sent from Windows Phone

I have had about a day worth of playing around with Mango beta 2 on my Omnia 7 now, and so far I'm delightfully enjoying it. Everything is working perfectly after a day of my Omnia 7 'adjusting' to it. I say that because after going through the update process the phone seem to be running extra tasks in the background to make the phone ease-in the new WP7.5 OS. It could have been updating databases and the registry perhaps. There were a couple problems at first where music files cannot sync from the Zune v4.8 for some strange reason. It is now working. Other than a couple starter hiccups, the new OS is working perfectly on my Omnia 7with no performance degrade.

I won't go into all the detail since reviews of it on are all over the web. I recommend people to check out the throughout review of Mango on pocketnow.com to see all the major changes. I will just talk about couple of the things that didn't get coverage around the web.

During updating process, the Zune software update the phone to build 74xx first and then the real Mango beta build 7661 as you can see below.

jje7z.jpg

One of the first things I wanted to check out is the list-item scrolling performance. The list-item scrolling was jerky pre-mango, but now it has been separated into different thread to keep the scrolling smooth while items are fetch from outside sources. Check out the smoothness below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXYKEfSZMEY

Zune player is now vastly improve with new features like podcast subscription and smart dj. The layout has several changes to menus and buttons location. The "Play" button is now moved into the appbar menu instead of to the left of the "Music" item pre-mango. Opening the drawer menu will reveal an additional item "search marketplace". Now in Mango, there is an option to enable artist picture in the lockscreen. If an song doesn't have artist picture that it could fetch from Zune database, it'll default to the nice lava flow background.

Qr15Q.jpgyfnBU.jpgu3Ery.jpg

The picture+video hub now show "camera roll" etc etc instead of "all" pre-mango. This eliminate extra tapping to get to your picture faster. Continuing with the drawer menu, it is now present in the first pivot of the picture+video hub. Opening it will reveal "choose background" "shuffle background" and "setting". Pre-mango, you have to tap+hold on the hubs to reveal these menu, which was of the the hidden gem that not a lot people knew about. This is now easier to access.

H7cxU.jpg

The marketplace is now much improve and load in faster than before. There is also the new "podcasts" item to let you search and subscribe to the podcasts selection on Zune. The podcast selection is excellent. most of the podcasts I listen to is available in the marketplace which I find amazing since some of it is rather specific. There is also a new search button in the appbar since the hardware button is default to the Bing app now.

qo7q7.jpg

The Calender is much improved in Mango. You can have multiple calenders for one account as oppose to only one calender per account pre-mango. As you can see there below, I have the US Holidays, personal calender, and birthday calender in my hotmail account listed below. This is one of the thing I appreciate most that is overlooked in the maintream blog (MSB).

V7NqJ.jpg

Xbox hub is probably covered thousand of time, but I just want to share this video. When shaking the avatar, it'll do more than just falling down. There are several actually, but this video is only showing one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xi25beEfPA

--------------------------

Well, that's some of the thing that I think was missed in the MSB and I wanted to cover. There are many more and I will post them when I get around to it. Now to stability issue and homebrew present in the beta that is affecting my Omnia 7 and perhaps others.

There is a new feature in the picture hub called "auto-fix", which does what it mean. Fixing contrast, level, etc. I actually found it quite handy and and it works. However, there are quite a few time when I use it and it would literally crash my Omnia 7 and reboot itself. I'm sure it will be fixed in the RTM.

8stNJ.jpg

Loopholes for side-loading and such are obviously closed by the windows phone team. However, I'll let you in an interesting fact. If you made any changes to things like color accents etc, it'll be carried over to the mango update. I though I would lose all my custom colors when I updated to mango but that was the case. As you can see below are my custom accent colors that I added in Nodo and now carried over to Mango. Tada!

b3mqF.jpg

That's it for now.

Very nice, I might wait for Mango to go RTM before upgrading my LG Optimus 7 to it though.

Me too. I'm tempted to update mine but I will wait until the official release.

Mango Beta 2 is buggy as crap. I've had it on my HTC Trophy for a while now, and whilst I love it, and wouldn't switch back I've noticed the following:

1) IE9 crashes a lot

2) When playing music, the app frequently freezes up. Pressing the start key makes the phone think its gone back to the main screen but it hasn't. Only way out is using multitasking to get out, and to get music to work again is a restart

3) Battery life is way less than it was before

I have more, but can't remember them right now. My point is, if you truly can't handle having a buggy phone, and having to restart every now and then... wait for the retail release.

Just sent my details through to Geotrust today. Hopefully they'll confirm that I'm me soon and I can load up Mango. Thank you Dreamspark.

FYI, you don't get Mango when Geotrust verified. Batches go out on a weekly basis. You'll be getting it next week, theoretically.

My point is, if you truly can't handle having a buggy phone, and having to restart every now and then... wait for the retail release.

Long story short: All the things one can expect from beta software.

Mango Beta 2 is buggy as crap. I've had it on my HTC Trophy for a while now, and whilst I love it, and wouldn't switch back I've noticed the following:

1) IE9 crashes a lot

2) When playing music, the app frequently freezes up. Pressing the start key makes the phone think its gone back to the main screen but it hasn't. Only way out is using multitasking to get out, and to get music to work again is a restart

3) Battery life is way less than it was before

I have more, but can't remember them right now. My point is, if you truly can't handle having a buggy phone, and having to restart every now and then... wait for the retail release.

1) Not once here.

2) Music, for some reason, has more bass and never had any freeze yet.

3) Battery life exactly the same, poor, but then I knew that before buying phone.

All in all, well worth the upgrade :)

I also tested my saved backup before installing, just to make sure ;)

FYI, you don't get Mango when Geotrust verified. Batches go out on a weekly basis. You'll be getting it next week, theoretically.

Hrm okay. I did get an invite to sign up for the program in Connect last week so I assume that's that (I just ran through it now and it says I can download it).

Hrm okay. I did get an invite to sign up for the program in Connect last week so I assume that's that (I just ran through it now and it says I can download it).

Nice, then you're sorted (Y)

2) Music, for some reason, has more bass and never had any freeze yet.

I noticed that too. Guess they tweaked the EQ or something.

Nice, then you're sorted (Y)

I noticed that too. Guess they tweaked the EQ or something.

Yup, I can attest to the noticeable improvement in audio quality. It can also sync with 3rd party calendar now. I finally can put my Android HD2 to rest :D