• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

rajputwarrior    280

has anyone here performed a clean install from USB or DVD?

mattmatik    74

Can anyone running GM confirm something for me: on my 2011 13" MBP, if I leave iTunes running and then shut the lid leaving it to sleep for ~1 hour, the computer has about a 10 second freeze when I open it again. Running 10.6.8. and iTunes 10.3.1. I didn't have this problem with my 2008 MBP so just want to make sure it's specific to the '11. There is a thread on Apple Support going about this also.

furyshinobi    4

has anyone here performed a clean install from USB or DVD?

Yup, and it's working well so far~ no problems =]

Timan    554

GM works great, loving it. My only problem is with Logitech Performace MX. I use the thumb button to show desktop but it doesn't work. I guess it needs new drivers.

Works here, side buttons are Mouse4, Mouse5, Mouse6 and Mouse9

Leonick    35

So, I am wondering, there were a lot of people annoyed by launchpad in earlier versions. How is it in the GM?

Elliott    235

So, I am wondering, there were a lot of people annoyed by launchpad in earlier versions. How is it in the GM?

Well, all I can say is that it works pretty much as advertised here. You can't be selective about which apps are on it, unfortunately.

rajputwarrior    280

Yup, and it's working well so far~ no problems =]

nice! just did it and restoring my time machine backup now from a clean install!

Elliott    235

I actually just upgraded my Snow Leopard install. It seemed to work perfectly (even with things like Homebrew and RVM installed).

rajputwarrior    280

I actually just upgraded my Snow Leopard install. It seemed to work perfectly (even with things like Homebrew and RVM installed).

i just don't like installing a new OS unless it's a clean install. old habits die hard i guess...

FlintyV    732

I'm intending to buy Lion of course but I've seen it popping up around ~3.5GB in size. It seems a little on the small side for an OS, is this how small we're expecting Lion to be?

instant.human    45

Obviously, the best bet would be a clean install but I guess I could get away nicely with an AppStore install aswell, like Apple intended it, right? Just asking, because I really like the idea of a fresh install (the last fresh install was when my harddrive died a year ago) but I also like the idea of just installing it via the AppStore and be good to go in a few minutes with everything in place...

Also, how exactly does that work now that Lion is family licensed by default (I know the single-licenses were installable on multiple machines aswell but I always rather bought the family license) if I want to let my wife install the Lion I bought? Does one of us have to do it via USB or DVD? Or does she need to validate her machine with my AppleID?

rajputwarrior    280

I'm intending to buy Lion of course but I've seen it popping up around ~3.5GB in size. It seems a little on the small side for an OS, is this how small we're expecting Lion to be?

it's all it is

They said in the keynote around '4GB' :).

Obviously, the best bet would be a clean install but I guess I could get away nicely with an AppStore install aswell, like Apple intended it, right? Just asking, because I really like the idea of a fresh install (the last fresh install was when my harddrive died a year ago) but I also like the idea of just installing it via the AppStore and be good to go in a few minutes with everything in place...

Also, how exactly does that work now that Lion is family licensed by default (I know the single-licenses were installable on multiple machines aswell but I always rather bought the family license) if I want to let my wife install the Lion I bought? Does one of us have to do it via USB or DVD? Or does she need to validate her machine with my AppleID?

You have to use the same Apple ID that you orginally bought Lion from.

celticpride678    11

It installs on top of Snow Leopard. Only the new and changed files get downloaded.

iKenndac    98

It installs on top of Snow Leopard. Only the new and changed files get downloaded.

Arrrrrrrgh. As mentioned many times in this thread, that's not the case - you can restore the disc image inside the installer to a USB stick or DVD and do a clean install.

How do I downrate a post?

Petvas    36

it's all it is

Lion's installer is exactly 3,76Gb.

PyX    140

Even the GM has to be tested for any show stopping bugs before releasing it to the general public. Two weeks to test it isn't exactly unreasonable.

I thought a Golden Master was the copy that was burnt on the DVD, thus the copy the customer receives and installs. At best the testing can only be done to release quick patches or 10.7.1 via Software Update?

I just installed this thing. LaunchPad is completely horrible. If I showed it to someone who doesn?t know crap about computers, he would never understand how the thing works. It?s so frustrating and? strange. I can?t believe Apple pulls it as their top 5 Lion features. It sucks so much that it doesn?t deserve to be even in top 20. Windows fanboys can take a good laugh at us now.

iKenndac    98

I thought a Golden Master was the copy that was burnt on the DVD, thus the copy the customer receives and installs. At best the testing can only be done to release quick patches or 10.7.1 via Software Update?

Well, Apple released multiple GMs of Xcode 4!

And, while most people will get it via the App Store, Apple still need to create CDs, install drives and images for the machines that'll ship with Lion when it's released. That takes time!

just installed this thing. LaunchPad is completely horrible. If I showed it to someone who doesn?t know crap about computers, he would never understand how the thing works. It?s so frustrating and? strange. I can?t believe Apple pulls it as their top 5 Lion features. It sucks so much that it doesn?t deserve to be even in top 20. Windows fanboys can take a good laugh at us now.

Hey! Windows fanboys! PyX doesn't like Launchpad, so that's it - we give in! Laugh away! :rolleyes:

BletchleyPark    2

I don't really plan to use any of the new features in Lion. I just want more stability, and better performance. Oddly right now it tends to lower a Geekbench score by about 100, but I'm assuming that thats due to immature drivers.

The very first thing that I did was disable the new features like autocorrect, Airdrop, Application save State, and did the best I could to turn Finder back to how it was in SL. While I appreciate trying to make things easier to use and perform, I feel like some of the Lion changes are just stupid and useless.

protocol7    545

It's smaller because it's missing Xcode.

chrispinto    12

The very first thing that I did was disable the new features like autocorrect, Airdrop, Application save State, and did the best I could to turn Finder back to how it was in SL. While I appreciate trying to make things easier to use and perform, I feel like some of the Lion changes are just stupid and useless.

Where do i disable autocorrect, app save state and airdrop?

BletchleyPark    2

It's smaller because it's missing Xcode.

Snow Leopard hasn't had xcode for a while.

Timan    554

Aww the little popup dictionary is gone? :( i used that alot

Screen_shot_2011-07-02_at_6.45.46_PM.png

PyX    140

PyX doesn't like Launchpad

Just me? I think you need to read a little more about the subject in the forums? Since day 1, Launchpad has been a mess, and nothing has been fixed.

Hey, just to tell ya, I?m deleting an app from the Mac App Store with it, and it comes back again and it becomes impossible to delete. Even if I throw it away in the Trash Can, it still shows up in Launchpad. That?s without saying how impossible it is to do a major cleanup in that thing. Just moving apps from page to page takes a while. At least, once it?s done, it?s done. Tell me when you?ve overwritten your official install of Snow Leopard, how good Launchpad is?

Aww the little popup dictionary is gone? :( i used that alot

Noooooo, there isn?t a way to make it come back? I also found myself using it a lot ?

chrispinto    12

Where do i disable autocorrect, app save state and airdrop?