OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

But at least the Start menu provides quick access to nearly everything on your computer. Not just your programs, but also your Control Panel settings, access to your network and printer settings, your most recently used documents, etc.

Apple should have integrated the Spotlight menu into Launchpad and allow for better managing.

• Like 2

Apple should have integrated the Spotlight menu into Launchpad and allow for better managing.

that's actually a solid idea. as in you bring up launchpad and if you like, there is a spotlight search box on the top there somewhere, pans down whatever icons are below and shows the result, ala google on android style. I like it.

See, I completely agree. The Launchpad would have been great if it completely virtualized the locations of apps, system preferences and other things.

Instead, it's like Apple was afraid to actually make it robust, because they assume (incorrectly, I think), that the average user will not know how to use Spotlight or even the Finder.

because launchpad is nothing more then a copy/paste job from iOS to OSX. well intentioned, terribly executed.

Agreed. They took something that works on iOS and slapped it onto a entirely different entity, Mac OS X, which operates in totally different ways since it's "open" and not bound to the App Store. Why Launchpad needs to be as restrictive as it is on iOS is completely beyond me, not to mention you run into serious issues simply because Mac OS X allows for more. Support apps being added to Launchpad as an example.

Launchpad works 100% as advertised as long as you stick to only downloading and installing apps through the App Store. It starts messing up things once you start installing apps manually.

I'll make no illusions that Launchpad will become anything more than it is right now while we're all still using Mac OS X Lion. I do hope Apple will come to their senses and at the very least allow for the hiding of unwanted apps. If only those you installed manually.

Mine doesn't - the snappily titled Kingston SV100S2.

No TRIM support here. 240GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD.

So will either of you be using the TRIM enabler to get it running? Or just going to use it as normal and hope performance doesn't drop?

So will either of you be using the TRIM enabler to get it running? Or just going to use it as normal and hope performance doesn't drop?

i read an article somewhere, sorry, totally forgot where, that argued OSX doesn't need TRIM and that it doesn't degrade performance, even in the long term. It stated that erasing the free disk space has the same effect.

edit: found it.

Results Analysis - Does OS X need TRIM?

Our test results appear just as conclusive as those in our original TRIM article: across the majority of our tests, there's very little difference between the clean SSD and the one that's been used. The random read tests are impossible to tell apart - there's no difference at all between the clean and dirty drive when you look at the random read speeds, with the two ending up in a dead heat. There are some differences when it comes to random writes: the two drives write 4KB files identically, but the clean drive writes 64KB files 1MB/sec quicker, and the larger 1,024KB files which the clean drive writes 9MB/sec faster.

if anything, you can say it kills the longevity of the drive, according to the article, not the actual performance.

I don't see what was ever wrong with having the Applications folder grid in the Dock to launch apps. Granted, I use Spotlight as well but if you go by Siracusa's review (which was very good, IMO) then you get all your apps in one spot with icons. Simple.

Thankfully you can pretty much never see Launchpad.

i read an article somewhere, sorry, totally forgot where, that argued OSX doesn't need TRIM and that it doesn't degrade performance, even in the long term. It stated that erasing the free disk space has the same effect.

edit: found it.

if anything, you can say it kills the longevity of the drive, according to the article, not the actual performance.

Fair enough, though I would think that 9MB/s is pretty significant considering it's just a 1,024KB file. What about larger files? The difference gap gets larger?

I do remember reading that OS X handles SSDs well even without TRIM, but if that's the case then why bother including TRIM for Apple-branded SSDs in the first place? Just makes things confusing.

Just finished installing Adobe CS5 Design Premium. :laugh: I think the best anyone can do is just install as much as possible, then trash the database file and manually add everything again.

post-128385-0-17699400-1311279034.png

i hate that you can't delete/remove things from launchpad. they are treating it as THE way to open all your apps, when all i want it to be is THE way to open my most frequent apps.

I understand the frustation, i have uninstallers and help files on there that cant be removed, hopefully apple will fix this in future updates.

It can still be used well with better organisation of the applications folder and removing all the crap to their own page, out of sight out of mind :)

I understand the frustation, i have uninstallers and help files on there that cant be removed, hopefully apple will fix this in future updates.

It can still be used well with better organisation of the applications folder and removing all the crap to their own page, out of sight out of mind :)

this is true, but i'm a computer geek, like most here, and we are too nit picky for that :p

Just finished installing Adobe CS5 Design Premium. :laugh: I think the best anyone can do is just install as much as possible, then trash the database file and manually add everything again.

Which is pointless since it just reloads everything again. *sigh*

You're obviously launching it wrong.

But seriously, Launchpad is easily the worst thought-out feature in Mac OS X. I, too, am having the same issues as you: It just wants to add literally anything that ends in ".app," even when it's an application that's designed to run inside another, usually the Adobe and Microsoft software updaters.

Nah. I've have an Intel SSD for three years that doesn't support TRIM and the performance it still absolutely fine for me.

It just wants to add literally anything that ends in ".app," even when it's an application that's designed to run inside another, usually the Adobe and Microsoft software updaters.

I'm not defending Launchpad (I don't like it, but simply don't use it - all my opinions have been expressed here by others so I don't feel the need to chime in), but how is it supposed to tell whether an application is a helper app or not? An application is an application - there's no "helper app" flag.

Has anyone experienced Wi-Fi drops on Lion when the computer goes to sleep? I never had a single Wi-Fi issue on Snow Leopard, but now every time I put my computer to sleep and then wake it back up, it has completely lost its Wi-Fi connection. It usually reconnects fine within a few seconds, but sometimes it doesn't. Is this a known issue?

I'm not defending Launchpad (I don't like it, but simply don't use it - all my opinions have been expressed here by others so I don't feel the need to chime in), but how is it supposed to tell whether an application is a helper app or not? An application is an application - there's no "helper app" flag.

I don't think anyone here expects Launchpad to magically know this. What people do expect is a reasonable way to get rid of them.

That said, Apple could have build-in something that makes sure Launchpad, by default, doesn't look further than one level deep into the app folder. So it stops at /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011, rather than going all the way down to /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office. I still just prefer a simple way to hide apps from Launchpad myself.

Yeah I thought about it. Before I could use Spotlight in my apps folder in the Finder. Now if I really want to use Launchpad and all the mess there is around it, I need to search through the whole computer, OR go back the old way and use my Apps folder.

Tough decision, huh?

Yeah I thought about it. Before I could use Spotlight in my apps folder in the Finder. Now if I really want to use Launchpad and all the mess there is around it, I need to search through the whole computer, OR go back the old way and use my Apps folder.

Tough decision, huh?

I think Launchpad could be great with this addition. Open Launchpad and its the same as it is now, only with an added search field of course. Start typing and the app icons will slide away to show the search results. Maybe with a nice drop down menu asking if you want to search Launchpad only or system-wide.

Oh well, maybe in Mac OS X Lynx eh? :laugh:

PS I'm a bit disappointed with the fact that the widgets haven't seen a real update since 2005/2006. I also was kinda hoping that the photos screen saver would finally see an overhaul to incorporate some of the neat iPhoto '11 slideshow effects. Same goes for the iTunes Artwork screen saver, it's boring as hell. :/

I think Launchpad could be great with this addition. Open Launchpad and its the same as it is now, only with an added search field of course. Start typing and the app icons will slide away to show the search results. Maybe with a nice drop down menu asking if you want to search in Launchpad only or system-wide.

Oh well, maybe in Mac OS X Lynx eh? :laugh:

PS I'm a bit disappointed with the fact that the widgets haven't seen a real update since 2005/2006. I also was kinda hoping that the photos screen saver would finally see an overhaul to incorporate some of the neat iPhoto '11 slideshow effects. Same goes for the iTunes Artwork screen saver, it's boring as hell. :/

Or... make it like the Windows 7 start menu, where opening it defaults to search, or you can navigate through all your apps. The reality, though, is that it's geared towards the mouse-clicker crowd, so they're not going to type anything in a search box anyway. :laugh:

And I agree with widgets. Hopefully now that the dashboard isn't an abstract layer hidden behind a key and is built into mission control people will start making decent ones again.

Yeah it's interesting how on both Mac OS X and Windows widgets or gadgets respectively never really caught on. It was a HUGE hype back in the Konfabulator days, but pretty much died off quickly after Apple and Microsoft started incorporating it into their operating systems. :/

Never been a big fan of searching (whether it's on OSX or Windows) for my apps to launch them

Is it because you're one those highly simplistic computer users who don't know how to spell "Face" in order to launch FaceTime like the article on the other page suggested? :laugh:

Sorry couldn't resist! :rofl:

Just noticed the addition of 'Search Web' and 'Search Wikipedia' (a la iOS) in Spotlight. Nice!

While they?re at porting things between iOS and Mac OS, I never understood why iOS doesn?t have Dictionary.app

While we?re at it, I never got why Dictionary.app is only in English. They should put the at least the 3-4 most used languages in the world : English, Spanish, Chinese, and French :)