OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

i like the new aqua and unified look apple is going for. too bad apple doesn't like going for the same look with iTunes, ical and address book... ical and address book look like kids apps.

iTunes is getting there with 10.5 but with that said I suggest you read the Mac OS X HIG -specifically addressing the issue of look and feel because that answers any questions you may have.

Hackintosh User here!

Installed it on my system, works fine except for my audio not working and not being able to play Runescape with OpenGL (haven't been able to since 10.6.4ish). Other than that it works flawlessly so far. :D

i like the new aqua and unified look apple is going for. too bad apple doesn't like going for the same look with iTunes, ical and address book... ical and address book look like kids apps.

I like Address Book personally, iCal looks pretty bad though.

The new Aqua looks really jummy. :laugh:

Oh yes it does. Your mod for the colors of selected menu bar items helped a little bit but it sure enough is time for Lion to be released just for the new Aqua. :D I know, pretty pat, looking at the (arguable) lack of groundbreaking features but hell... :D This looks too good!

Too bad they got rid of that new tab style though and reverted it back to the traditional look. Oh well...

Oh yeah that looked awesome. But as far as I'm concerned, the new Aqua is a great evolution as it is now aswell. Not that SL looked archaic or anything.

i don't like that the full screen apps take over both monitors... that's pretty stupid. I would like to have safari in full screen mode on one monitor and my VLC fullscreen on the other, but I can't do that.

Quite disappointing. I'm hopeful they will correct this with an update.

Oh yeah that looked awesome. But as far as I'm concerned, the new Aqua is a great evolution as it is now aswell. Not that SL looked archaic or anything.

Honestly I expected a major change like this with Mac OS X Leopard. Glad Apple finally updated every Aqua element instead of sticking to the same look from 2002.

Quite disappointing. I'm hopeful they will correct this with an update.

Don't count on it. If things get changed it won't be until the next major version.

Three gripes about the OS X Lion GM release:

1. Removal of Front Row: Not very happy as I used Front Row all the time and have no need for an Apple TV. I'm checking out Plex as an alternative for now.

2. Mouse gestures: Not very customisable. The two finger gesture to go back and forward in Finder and browsers has been removed.

3. Performance on a Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz with 4GB RAM is not as snappy as I'd like (or when compared to OS X Snow Leopard).

Other than that it's looking OK. :)

Honestly I expected a major change like this with Mac OS X Leopard. Glad Apple finally updated every Aqua element instead of sticking to the same look from 2002.

Well, exactly. They updated every single Aqua element. At least as far as I can tell. Maybe not as radically as with Leopard back then but noticeably. Maybe because the MenuBar and the Dock are more or less the same it doesn't seem like that but I would consider Lion a major change, UI and UX wise. No more scrollbars, slightly but noticeably altered traffic lights and checkboxes and buttons and so on...

But I do see where you're coming from. ;)

2. Mouse gestures: Not very customisable. The two finger gesture to go back and forward in Finder and browsers has been removed.

[/quote

WHATT!! no two finger swipe on magic mouse? why have they removed that. that was the ultimate lazy hand gesture.

Got the GM working on my hack. pretty smooth and little work needed once I was able to make a fully working installation DVD :) loving it so far, but kinda miss having the drives listed on the desktop and not being able to access the root of the Lion partition from within Lion.

WHATT!! no two finger swipe on magic mouse? why have they removed that. that was the ultimate lazy hand gesture.

You can, see attached.

Got the GM working on my hack. pretty smooth and little work needed once I was able to make a fully working installation DVD :) loving it so far, but kinda miss having the drives listed on the desktop and not being able to access the root of the Lion partition from within Lion.

You can, just turn Hard Drives on in the Finder Sidebar Preferences. Same for Desktop.

post-180771-0-93174500-1309776546.png

• Like 2

Does anyone else have to press (click) their trackpad to turn the screen back on once the display has gone to sleep whereas in Snow Leopard and before it just required a tap? - macbook pro mid 2009

Lion is very buggy at this point but that's expected, cannot wait till official release and 10.7.1

I bought a Macbbok Pro last week. Do you know anything about a potential free upgrade from snow leo? If I remeber correctly, Apple offered something like this when snow leo came out.

I like Address Book personally, iCal looks pretty bad though.

I like them both, iCal grew up on me, but it could be slightly better, that?s for sure.

Address Book can?t be worse than what it was before, it looked like an app that has been dug up from the 90s? The new app is so colorful, I like that. Same with full-screen Photobooth, but it would have been nice if the Full-screen Photobooth and not full-screen were similar / consistent. I really get the feeling that I need to press the full-screen button when I open it, as if an invisible force was pushing me to?

I bought a Macbbok Pro last week. Do you know anything about a potential free upgrade from snow leo? If I remeber correctly, Apple offered something like this when snow leo came out.

Yeah, if within the return period, which, at Apple, is 14 days, iirc, a product update comes out (so in your case a new MBP or Lion), you can swap it with one of the new ones. So if Lion really comes out on the 14th, I'd say you're out of luck, mate.

Oh, sorry, it's the 4th already, you might still be in luck! :)

Last week? Yes, you sure have Lion for free. I don?t know how, but get a redeem code when it?s out, use it and install it. :)

Lion is very buggy at this point but that's expected, cannot wait till official release and 10.7.1

I wouldn't say it's 'Very Buggy'. If you want buggy try out DP1. I'd say it's about as stable as Leopard was on release, but the Point Releases will fix any lingering issues.

Can't wait to see a build of Chrome with real Full Screen Support, not the hacked up version they have now. Safari is nice and all, but Chrome is still king to me.

Damn. I use that gesture all the time. Apple, I am disappoint.

Completely untrue.

post-17580-0-95369300-1309788284.png

Before the back gesture was three fingers was it not? I keep messing up now :(

It used to be three fingers for a trackpad, two for a Magic Mouse. Now it defaults to two fingers for a trackpad and one for a Magic Mouse, but you can change them back (like I have).