OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

lulz

The Launchpad is a total disaster. Apple wanted to have features to make Lion look like iOS, so that people coming from iOS devices would feel at home. FAIL.

I wonder Apple could make the perfect OS, but they don't seem to want to. Windows is so much better, but I'm in love with the looks of Mac OS X and my Macbook Pro '11.

Apple hates perfection, because they make money from the imperfections. :devil:

I don't think it's a total disaster... it's like to have an iPhone on my Mac, I won't use it but it's ok. LOL

And let's not talk about which OS is better... OS X has its pros and cons like Windows. :p

They also need to add back in the ability to allow repeat keystrokes when holding a key down.

Holding a key down and getting an "alternative character' iOS style menu just isn't suited to me at all. I want to type "nnnnnnnnnnnnn" (as an example) just by holding the key down, not having to tap it repeatedly.

Totally agreed! :(

They also need to add back in the ability to allow repeat keystrokes when holding a key down.

Holding a key down and getting an "alternative character' iOS style menu just isn't suited to me at all. I want to type "nnnnnnnnnnnnn" (as an example) just by holding the key down, not having to tap it repeatedly.

There should be options for that in the preferences somewhere, though... no?

Anyway, most of these things are nitpicks because people have been so used to not ever having any of these parts of an OS change over the years. Go back to Windows 3.1 and holding down a key does the exact same thing that it does in Windows 7. Along comes a change and some people will welcome it, while others will harp on it because it's not what they're used to.

It reminds me of those people who used to moan about Facebook changing any little thing about their UI back when they used to do it all in one big release, surprising everyone (as opposed to how they do it now: little by little so no one notices).

At the end of the day, you'll get used to it and (given time) you may even prefer it.

The weird thing is you can't hold "a" and get "aaaaaaaa", but you can hold "-" and get "------------------------". Whyyyyy? :( lol

There should be options for that in the preferences somewhere, though... no?

Anyway, most of these things are nitpicks because people have been so used to not ever having any of these parts of an OS change over the years. Go back to Windows 3.1 and holding down a key does the exact same thing that it does in Windows 7. Along comes a change and some people will welcome it, while others will harp on it because it's not what they're used to.

It reminds me of those people who used to moan about Facebook changing any little thing about their UI back when they used to do it all in one big release, surprising everyone (as opposed to how they do it now: little by little so no one notices).

At the end of the day, you'll get used to it and (given time) you may even prefer it.

I'll not get used to that key press change, It's great in iOS... for desktop use it's (for me) entirely impractical. I use repeated keys all the time, now i've got to add undue extra wear onto my keyboard tapping away for each repeat i need of an individual letter. Like you say, there should be an option in the preferences but currently there isn't.

I suspect there may be come 10.7.1 though.

You don't have to use Launchpad, correct? I can still have my grid folders in the dock to go directly to Applications, Documents, etc?

The weird thing is you can't hold "a" and get "aaaaaaaa", but you can hold "-" and get "------------------------". Whyyyyy? :( lol

Same if you hold shift and press any of the number keys o_O

You don't have to use Launchpad, correct? I can still have my grid folders in the dock to go directly to Applications, Documents, etc?

Correct. Though i've removed my Applications folder from the dock. I rarely use it (my most used apps are on the dock) and I don't mind using the pinch gesture to access launchpad for the odd occasion.

If you hold ALT, you can type as many consecutive things as you want, but it also types the alternate characters? :wacko: They should have made it so that the ALT button triggers the little popup menu instead, and add the alternate symbol to it.

They can still defend themselves by saying that no word in the world takes more than 2 same consecutive letters. It?s only useful in Adium when you want to write something like LOLLLLLLLL

yeah i just noticed that now. it's pretty annoying.

yeah i just noticed that now. it's pretty annoying.

You're not wrong!

Scrolling in Safari just doesn't feel "smooth". It is hard for me to get used to right now. It isn't really choppy, it is just not as fluid feeling as I think it should feel. After my indexing stopped it got a lot better. I am pretty happy with this though.

I really do have to ask: why? What earthly reason do you have for wanting to do that?

And if you really have to type 20 e's in a row, just copy the first e and paste away.

I really do have to ask: why? What earthly reason do you have for wanting to do that?

bbbbbeeeeeeeeccccccccaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuusssseeeeeee he wants to :p

Damn. I use that gesture all the time. Apple, I am disappoint.

Read above.

Completely untrue.

Yeah, same here!

Gents,

I should point out that the back and forward swipe does work in Safari, but not in Finder or Firefox. Hence my disappointment.

If anybody has a known workaround, I would be very happy to see it/use it. :)

Gents,

I should point out that the back and forward swipe does work in Safari, but not in Finder or Firefox. Hence my disappointment.

The single(mouse)/double(trackpad) finger gestures don't work. The double(mouse)/triple(trackpad) gestures most certainly do. I'm swiping around to my heart's content in Finder, Reeder, Twitter, etc. on Lion.

Gents,

Easiest way to workaround that issue is to change the swipe back to three fingers in System Preferences. Works like it used to when you do that. I'm not sure why Apple didn't update Finder. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you swipe away content in Safari and not in Finder.

On another note, anyone else noticed the missing Library folder in your home directory?

Can you go into a little more detail about what was wrong with the upgrade? I'm still unsure of if I'm going to go the upgrade route or not.

I used a few applications that weren't compatible with Lion (one being TotalFinder) and they were moved incorrectly so the application could not uninstall itself, nor could I remove it from auto-loading. I'm sure I could have done a terminal command or used Lingon to remove the daemon but I figured I might as well get rid of it and start clean.

Also, like rapjut, I had the Parallels/LaunchPad issue and it was cluttered.

Also, like rapjut, I had the Parallels/LaunchPad issue and it was cluttered.

That has nothing to do with the upgrade. In fact, it?s a correct behavior and would have arrived with a clean install anyways.

That has nothing to do with the upgrade. In fact, it?s a correct behavior and would have arrived with a clean install anyways.

Oh really? Windows Applications would show up in LaunchPad on a clean install? I'm not sure what kind of clean install you do, but mine doesn't contain anything other than the Lion itself. :p

There has to be some way to remove icons from launchpad as I've got so much crap which shouldn't be there. Like every wow patch and some uninstallers which I'm having OCD about.

What was Apple thinking when they designed this?

Windows apps DO reside in your Applications folder though. Turning the preference off in Parallels did nothing for me - I had to trash the folder in my Apps folder.

There?s no way to manage batches of apps in Launchpad, that sucks. I would have liked to sort them, but one at a time like I did sort my apps in OS X? No thanks.

On my install of Parallels there is no Windows App folder in my Applications folder. Never has been.

The ultimate solution to all Launchpad issues: Don't use it. Since installing Lion I've used Launchpad two or three times to look at it. I'd never think of actually using it to launch apps.

Also: As I've said before - what were Apple thinking while designing the Launchpad dock icon? It doesn't fit in with the rest of the icons at all. To me it was an eyesore and gone from the dock mere seconds after I first logged in to Lion.

I haven't got Lion yet but i have just finished reading this thread.

Let me get this straight - i cant use repeated characters, and if i press and hold 'a' for example i get a context menu like in iOS with a list of special charecters?

This is major fail if you ask me, this is a desktop, not a PHONE!!!