10:10 - Wrist Watch Conspiracy

The 10:10 Conspiracy of Watchmakers

The so-called worldwide conspiracy of watchmakers is a strange phenomenon that has been discussed in the press and on the Internet for the last 15 years. The point is that every watch ad shows 10:10 time, or sometimes 10:08. What is this? Some psycho thing? There are a lot of assumptions: from the imitation of a smile to the symbol of an anti-fascist organization? Let?s try to learn more about it...

READ MORE: http://smashad.com/2011/06/30/the-1010-conspiracy-of-watchmakers/

watchmakers-8.jpg

You serious? It's simply to show the full watch face and hands in the best position. No more. no less.

My cat spins round twice before sitting down and has done since birth. bugger...this must mean she is a leader of a great fascist organization that has a psycho problem and is part of the Illuminati. rolls eyes:

You serious?

He was only summarizing the article. It was Dan Brown who coined the idea. I know there was a reason that I put down his books after a few minutes of reading :pinch:

This is news to me too, you have definitely peaked my curiosity.

Interesting, but looking at the rest of the images on the site I won't be seeing it as any conspiracy :p

I read somewhere, and was later told in a design/marketing class, they put the 10:10 time because it looks like a :)* and that kind of attracts people.

*the mouth of the smiley.

No conspiracy. Nothing special but that position makes everything more visible. Most of the watches have extra inner dials and that position of hands always them nice and clear.

As i have some knowledge of the advertising market for watches I have an answer for this at least for the reason A specific brand does it (not stating brand)

At 10:10, the makers name and face are clearly visible.

i knew about this from the day i saw a Wrist Watch advert.

but i always thought it makes a TICK MARK ... :s and not a smiley face.

the watch hands look pretty this way.

whats the conspiracy in this?

it will never effect my decision to buy any watch :p

My cat spins round twice before sitting down and has done since birth. bugger...this must mean she is a leader of a great fascist organization that has a psycho problem and is part of the Illuminati. rolls eyes:

OMFG, my cat does this too! Conspiracy indeed!! :alien:

More seriously, there may well be a reason. I think PT 13's comment probably hit the nail on the head. Marketing/advertising does weird studies to sell people junk. Some of it's reasonable, other bits are just weird.

Personally, I think the symmetry looks nice, as opposed to showing a time with hands overlapping or in weird positions.

something i never noticed, and now i will sadly this useless thing everywhere :( I guess companies are trying to hypnotize people :D

It could be a type of a subliminal message. A pyramid and a triangle are powerful symbols...It's got something do with how a brain processes the image.

V - shape attracts the eyes possibly because of something sexually related like ancient female (vulva) and male symbols.

Marlboro.jpg

The more practical, and believable, seems to be that the 10:10 formation makes for visual clarity of the company?s logo located at the center top. the theory is that it frames, or maybe highlights, the logo, and also creates a more balanced image of the clock.

It could be a type of a subliminal message. A pyramid and a triangle are powerful symbols...It's got something do with how a brain processes the image.

V - shape attracts the eyes possibly because of something sexually related like ancient female (vulva) and male symbols.

Marlboro.jpg

Thank you Dan Brown :laugh:

Marlboro.jpg

Well the Marlboro pack's triangles actually form 3 K's.

It's to remind you how to hold a steering wheel.

LOL! +1 :D

Now seriously, when I was studying design a couple of years ago, we talked about this on the class, its the best position to don't hide any detail of the watch, it's the best position to just show" everything".

After that, just became a standard. No conspiracy behind this.