Mango Beta - Impressions

M_Lyons10

http://windowsphonedaily.blogspot.com/2011/07/visual-voicemail-spotted-in-mango-some.html

It's active in the BETA - but carriers must explicitly allow it on the phones from their end, and some carriers require you to add an additional option to your phone plan to enable it. If you're on AT&T for example, it won't work at all, as AT&T don't officially support it on WP7, so don't allow your phone to recieve it yet.

Interesting. So, I guess Verizon will require us to pay the $ 1.99 if we want to be able to use that. Assuming they support WP7...

Thanks for the info.

http://windowsphonedaily.blogspot.com/2011/07/visual-voicemail-spotted-in-mango-some.html

It's active in the BETA - but carriers must explicitly allow it on the phones from their end, and some carriers require you to add an additional option to your phone plan to enable it. If you're on AT&T for example, it won't work at all, as AT&T don't officially support it on WP7, so don't allow your phone to recieve it yet.

Interesting. So, I guess Verizon will require us to pay the $ 1.99 if we want to be able to use that. Assuming they support WP7...

Thanks for the info.

M_Lyons10

I don't know how you use your phone, but I can easily get a day on my Verizon Trophy...I have location on, 3G data on, WiFi on at all times. I make 1-2 calls/day, 50-100 texts/day, and definitely some gaming. I've heard Mango improves battery life greatly, so that will definitely be welcome!

Really? I don't feel that I use my phone that much. I disable wi-fi when I don't need it as well. It seems lke I can barely get a day if all I do is talk, text, an occasionally browse, but if I game I get about 4or 5 hours... It's really been an issue for me, and I blame HTC completely for using an underpowered battery and not using an AMOLED screen. I absolutely love WP7.
Mountain Dew

Really? I don't feel that I use my phone that much. I disable wi-fi when I don't need it as well. It seems lke I can barely get a day if all I do is talk, text, an occasionally browse, but if I game I get about 4or 5 hours... It's really been an issue for me, and I blame HTC completely for using an underpowered battery and not using an AMOLED screen. I absolutely love WP7.

Well 4 or 5 hours if you're doing solid gaming is to be expected, same with video. I get about the same, but when I'm not gaming I can sometimes go up to 2 days without charging at all if my usage is fairly light...as in just texting & e-mailing with a few short voice calls.

mArcade

On my HTC Arrive I get very impressive battery life, which is something all the reviews also mentioned. What size battery is in the Trophy?

Mockingbird

On my HTC Arrive I get very impressive battery life, which is something all the reviews also mentioned. What size battery is in the Trophy?

I will list all of them.

Dell Venue Pro - 1400 mAh

HTC 7 Pro***- 1500 mAh

HTC 7 Surround - 1230 mAh

HTC 7 Trophy - 1300 mAh

HTC 7 Mozart - 1300 mAh

HTC HD7 - 1230 mAh

LG Optimus 7 - 1500 mAh

LG Quantum - 1500 mAh

Samsung Focus - 1500 mAh

Samsung Omnia 7 - 1500 mAh

***HTC 7 Pro is known as HTC Arrive on Sprint's network.

jakem1

Do you ever have any trouble with 3G reception because that can be a battery killer. Two days a week I work in an office where the reception is terrible and find that my battery runs down twice as fast as normal because the phone's constantly trying to connect to the network.

M_Lyons10

If anyone is interested, Pocketnow has a video of visual voicemail in Mango: Visual Voicemail in Windows Phone Mango (Video)

Thanks. That looks really cool. I like how they added it on to call history honestly rather than keep the two separate. They make much more sense together... Does anyone that is currently able to use the Visual Voicemail know if this works without having a Visual Voicemail package? I know that Verizon has a separate fee, or did under WinMo for you to have Visual Voicemail, but they also developed the app and everything (Which was garbage)... I'd be really curious to know. lol I'm really looking forward to that feature.

M_Lyons10

Do you ever have any trouble with 3G reception because that can be a battery killer. Two days a week I work in an office where the reception is terrible and find that my battery runs down twice as fast as normal because the phone's constantly trying to connect to the network.

I am in an area with no service a good bit when visiting a friend, so that might be it. I'm going to not visit for a couple of days and see if my battery is much better. lol

I'm really excited about the battery improvements in Mango, I realize I can't game all day or anything, but it would be very nice to be able to get a full day out of the battery with a couple of hours of gaming in there (Particularly for travel and such. I don't think I would be able to sit on a plan and not play with WP7... lol).

Also, I was just wondering about this today. Does anyone know what your status shows as in Facebook Messenger and Windows Live Messenger? Since they're baked in now, I am hoping it doesn't show you as online... Or there's a setting to be invisible somewhere? I don't think I could take the neverending messages from both of those services... And since some reports have said AIM was in there as well, can anyone confirm that it is or is not? I'm just really curious. If it didn't void my warranty and require me to reset my device I would install Mango myself...

I will list all of them.

HTC 7 Pro***- 1500 mAh

HTC 7 Trophy - 1300 mAh

HTC 7 Mozart - 1300 mAh

HTC HD7 - 1230 mAh

LG Optimus 7 - 1500 mAh

LG Quantum - 1500 mAh

Samsung Focus - 1500 mAh

Looks like HTC is comparatively underpowering their phones... Everyone else is using 1500 mAH batteries... Hopefully that will improve going forward, because I think that any phone with a screen this size really demands something with a bit more juice. I mean, don't get me wrong. I really like this phone a lot. It just needs a bigger battery.

mArcade

Ouch for HD7 users, the phone with the most drain has the smallest battery. But I can now see why I hear Trophy owners complain about battery life far more than Arrive users, that extra 200 mAh is pretty huge.

tsupersonic

I used to have the Incredible, which has the exact same 1300 MaH battery, and I experienced much worse battery life on there (even though it had a smaller screen, it was AMOLED, but it was Android). The Trophy has excellent battery life for my uses. I should've also mentioned I have Outlook/Hotmail/Gmail all set to push email every 15 minutes. Use WiFi where you can! It definitely is lower power than using 3G data. Like I said, Mango is supposedly improving battery life, so hopefully we'll see a nice increase. I think 1300 MaH is about right for what this phone needs (granted battery technology could always be better in smartphones!). I've seen up to two days battery life based on just texting/emails/calls/no games.
M_Lyons10

Yeah, so far today I've texted, called, and browsed a lot, but haven't opened a game. I have half my battery left still. I understand games will always be demanding on battery life, but that's really a big difference. Hopefully some of the battery improvements help the games. When traveling, it would be very hard not to game, but I would also need battery for my arrival. Such a conundrum... LOL

Mountain Dew

Yeah, so far today I've texted, called, and browsed a lot, but haven't opened a game. I have half my battery left still. I understand games will always be demanding on battery life, but that's really a big difference. Hopefully some of the battery improvements help the games. When traveling, it would be very hard not to game, but I would also need battery for my arrival. Such a conundrum... LOL

That's why I used to not be a fan of smartphones. When you do anything truly 'smart' with them, the battery life goes down. I just realized I need to carry an extra battery.

Ironman273

That's why I used to not be a fan of smartphones. When you do anything truly 'smart' with them, the battery life goes down. I just realized I need to carry an extra battery.

I think I would consider myself a "heavy" smartphone user. Any modern smartphone I use needs to be charged at the end of the day but last me throughout. Never felt it as an inconvenience.

KingCrimson

There is where the Nokia handset better come through with awesome battery life.

Calum

I rarely get a full day out of my HTC 7 Mozart as well :( and that is an issue for me.

XIII

I will list all of them.

HTC 7 Pro***- 1500 mAh

HTC 7 Trophy - 1300 mAh

HTC 7 Mozart - 1300 mAh

HTC HD7 - 1230 mAh

LG Optimus 7 - 1500 mAh

LG Quantum - 1500 mAh

Samsung Focus - 1500 mAh

And this list just explained why Focus is the best WP7 phone out there: SAMOLED, microsd slot, high battery capacity. I haven't seen any WP7 phone comes close to it in these regards.

George P

I don't get why HTC went with such weak batteries when everyone else did 1500mAh for the most part. My LG Optimus can get a full day, maybe more without a problem. Hell when I'm busy at work and it's just sitting there with the screen off checking for new email every 30mins I can probably get 2 days I bet.

HawkMan

And this list just explained why Focus is the best WP7 phone out there: SAMOLED, microsd slot, high battery capacity. I haven't seen any WP7 phone comes close to it in these regards.

That depends. since I want a quality screen, I don't consider SAMOLED a plus, maybe it it was SAMOLED+, but it's not. battery capacity, I dunno, I get 2+ days out of my trophy with medium + usage, that includes gaming, if I used it lightly the third day, I'll last through that one was well, though I always charge every night.

MicroSD... well my Trophy has that to, though it's hard to get to, but I wouldn't say it's a plus necessary, normal users won't use it, and even for advanced users you're not supposed to change it, and you can't actively change it making it fairly pointless anyway (and I think it's unnecessary to actively change SD cards anyway) and when you do change it, it'll often be unstable. that still only leaves one of your points and actual real plus over my Trophy though.

XIII

Samsung Focus also has the best camera too :). How is the camera on the HTC Mozart though ? Is it good ? Can you show us some sample pics ?

~Johnny

Samsung Focus also has the best camera too :). How is the camera on the HTC Mozart though ? Is it good ? Can you show us some sample pics ?

It's better than any of the other HTC devices, and certainly better than the LG Optimus 7, but it's no Omnia 7.

Very soft focus, not a lot of detail even during a sunny day. But, it does take pictures rather fast, and you're less likely to get a image caused by motion blur or camera shake than you are on any of the other HTC devices, or especially the Optimus 7.

(Excuse the rather bland subject matter of the these photos, I just picked some random ones Zune downloaded from my girlfriends Mozart)

FDmIhl.jpg

uzyBAl.jpg

vmLTGs.jpg

HawkMan

I have a Trophy, and it takes abotu the same picture as every other phone.

the only exception to crap phone cameras is Nokia N8 and Xperia Arc/Neo. outside of those three it's pointless comparing phone cameras unless you're only talking megapixels, except megapixels are worthless and no phone will make use of more than 2, and having more of them just adds noise to the image. But I've taken decent pictures with it, but if I want to take a picture, I use a camera. Phones have a long way to go to compare to even a cheap compact. to start with the sensor is even smaller than on a compact, and even more importantly, the lens is even with good glass (Which neither samsung or htc use) is to small to let in enough light, whihc is the part that really kills phone cameras and limits their useful res to max 2mpx.

Omen1393

Here's a bunch of pictures I took with my Samsung Focus

<br><br>4zqV9.jpg<br>Ewz2l.jpg<br>fC0Zj.jpg<br>mV1Ai.jpg

~Johnny

I have a Trophy, and it takes abotu the same picture as every other phone.

the only exception to crap phone cameras is Nokia N8 and Xperia Arc/Neo. outside of those three it's pointless comparing phone cameras unless you're only talking megapixels, except megapixels are worthless and no phone will make use of more than 2, and having more of them just adds noise to the image. But I've taken decent pictures with it, but if I want to take a picture, I use a camera. Phones have a long way to go to compare to even a cheap compact. to start with the sensor is even smaller than on a compact, and even more importantly, the lens is even with good glass (Which neither samsung or htc use) is to small to let in enough light, whihc is the part that really kills phone cameras and limits their useful res to max 2mpx.

You say that - but there are plenty of areas where the Omnia 7 / Focus camera beats the Trophy. For starts, low light performance and colour balance are better on the Omnia, HD video recording fares far better on the Omina than the Trophy, again with more accurate colours and better low light performance - better Flash on the Omnia which is less likely to white out photos and more liekly to actually light it up, sharper photo details, the ability to shoot at 800 ISO (good for avoiding blurry pictures - at the expense of probable extra noise, but we all prefer a sharpish noisy picture, to one which is just blurred out :p), anti-shake, Wide Dynamic Range (which is like HDR... but it's not! :p). Though it's worth noting my Omnia 7 seems to take pictures with more detail than the Focus pictures above - I assume they do use pretty much the same hardware.

It's not just the lens that makes the camera better - a lot of it is down to software / firmware as well, and Samsung have it better on their WP7 devices than anyone else does. And there's also a noticeable difference between a 2MP photo and a 5MP photo on my Omnia 7 when the detail is compared between the two, so there's certainly a use for more than 2 MP :p . And I'm sure the iPhone 4 would disagree with your 2MP conjecture as well

HawkMan

The point is that all phone cameras are crap, some are slightlyless crapnat certain things, but they're still crap. And only usable in he summer sun anyway. Dark winter or indoors, useless.

And how would the iphone4 disagree, it's camera is just as crap as all the rest. Even the good phone cameras(N8 and xperia arc and neo) can't make use of more than around 2 mod. Their cameras are much higher. But if you scale the picture down to 2 and thenscalenit back to native, you'll see you'll have much the same picture. He thing abou lenses as usable quality is all abou physics, you can't argue with physics. And small plastic lenses combined with tiny sense means physics say this is the max amount of photons you'll get on this surface, so it doesn't matter if this surface has 8 millionx3 sensors, you only get 2 million photons. In a very simplified way.

And no the difference isn't because of more megapixels, it's because of a better sensor and probably a better lens. In fact, if your omnie had been 2 mpx it would likely have taken better pictures, because each sensor would be bigge and able to better get the light, thus sharper and less noise.

It's he one thing I'm waiting for on the Nokia WP7 phones, N8 quality camera, I wish SE would release a WP7 phone though, similar to the ar and neo that uses the same (but scaled down) sensor as the Sony cameras. With far better light sensitivity than an phone camera.

Also wide dynamic range just means the sensor has a bigger dynamic range than most camera phones, the thing is phone cameras have crap dynamic range to start with. It's why your picture above has visible sky, but all the ground stuff is just black.