Mango Beta - Impressions

~Johnny

The point is that all phone cameras are crap, some are slightlyless crapnat certain things, but they're still crap. And only usable in he summer sun anyway. Dark winter or indoors, useless.

And how would the iphone4 disagree, it's camera is just as crap as all the rest. Even the good phone cameras(N8 and xperia arc and neo) can't make use of more than around 2 mod. Their cameras are much higher. But if you scale the picture down to 2 and thenscalenit back to native, you'll see you'll have much the same picture. He thing abou lenses as usable quality is all abou physics, you can't argue with physics. And small plastic lenses combined with tiny sense means physics say this is the max amount of photons you'll get on this surface, so it doesn't matter if this surface has 8 millionx3 sensors, you only get 2 million photons. In a very simplified way.

And no the difference isn't because of more megapixels, it's because of a better sensor and probably a better lens. In fact, if your omnie had been 2 mpx it would likely have taken better pictures, because each sensor would be bigge and able to better get the light, thus sharper and less noise.

It's he one thing I'm waiting for on the Nokia WP7 phones, N8 quality camera, I wish SE would release a WP7 phone though, similar to the ar and neo that uses the same (but scaled down) sensor as the Sony cameras. With far better light sensitivity than an phone camera.

Also wide dynamic range just means the sensor has a bigger dynamic range than most camera phones, the thing is phone cameras have crap dynamic range to start with. It's why your picture above has visible sky, but all the ground stuff is just black.

They're certainly no compact cameras, but a good few of them still produce perfectly viewable images 90%. WP7 has been out since October in the UK, and I've been taking pictures with my devices all throughout the rather bleak British Winters, and my Omnia 7 has performed admirable. Even indoors, my Omnia produces very nice pictures. My Trophy, a lot less so.

Also, the iPhone 4 camera is considered better than most other camerphones (bar the N8 and a couple of others). It's good enough to make me not mind not brining a proper camera out a lot of the time.

On your point of scaling - I done it, and it's evident there's a loss of detail. The 5MP photo just has more detail in areas - it's not exactly fine but it's there. And infact, you get he same story if you set the Omnia 7 to take 2PB versus 5MP photos. The camera sensor is just capable of capturing more detail than it could want to show in a 2MP images. It's by no means as sharp as a DSLR, but it's a viable reason for 5MP over 2MP.

2MP.

D9wLP.jpg

5MP

1fY4r.jpg

Also, the sky picture above wasn't taken by me, and probably wasn't taken with WDR on. (Considering it's not switched on by default in 7.0);

But my original point was, and you seem to have beaten round the bush a bit, was that there are camera phones that take better photos than the Trophy :p

M_Lyons10

I dunno, as far as the camera goes, I think they really have a long way to go for phones. I use an actual camera when I want nice pictures. I only use my phone for simple pictures...

As for the Trophy's camera, it's not horrible in my opinion, but it degrades REALLY quickly when you zoom in. I mean, this is of course not an optical zoom... But it's so bad that it's not worth zooming ever...

~Johnny

I dunno, as far as the camera goes, I think they really have a long way to go for phones. I use an actual camera when I want nice pictures. I only use my phone for simple pictures...

As for the Trophy's camera, it's not horrible in my opinion, but it degrades REALLY quickly when you zoom in. I mean, this is of course not an optical zoom... But it's so bad that it's not worth zooming ever...

Aye, it's not worth zooming in with nearly any camera phone when taking a photo with it's full MP count, considering all they do is crop part of the photo and then blow it up >.<

HawkMan

D notice however how little quality was lost when you resized and scaled back up. Now if the actual sensor had been 2mpx that picture would in fact have been sharper than the 5mpx one. This has to do with basic physics as I said before.

M_Lyons10

Just out of curiosity, can you SMS video / audio in Mango? I just noticed that you apparently can't in NoDo?

guru

Just out of curiosity, can you SMS video / audio in Mango? I just noticed that you apparently can't in NoDo?

no. atleast i cant find a way to do it in 7661 build

windows95isg8

I really like the new Marketplace in mango and the people hub.. Only thing I find needs some work on is the voice to text.. I find it works very poorly, and that's strange given bings voice search works really well.

Zain Adeel

sms audio video?? meaning no MMS in Mango??? :s

i11usive

I love the new SMS / Live Messenger integration --- great idea!

linsook

sms audio video?? meaning no MMS in Mango??? :s

MMS is there. As it has been from the start.

M_Lyons10

MMS is there. As it has been from the start.

Am I missing something? How do you send someone a video or audio file?

linsook

Am I missing something? How do you send someone a video or audio file?

no, sorry, you're right. still no audio and video just images.

Zain Adeel

wow.. thats big.. no video in msg???

even my Nokia 6300 has it.

are they going to add it in mango?

coz im buying Omnia 7 soon... and ........... i dont want my 5 year old nokia to be better at a thing than that high end WP.

M_Lyons10

no, sorry, you're right. still no audio and video just images.

Awwww, I got my hopes up for a minute. I hope this gets added soon. I have needed to send a few videos and audio files, and it's a little annoying. Not a huge deal, but it should definitely be there. Maybe it'll make it's way into Mango before final... :)

linsook

Awwww, I got my hopes up for a minute. I hope this gets added soon. I have needed to send a few videos and audio files, and it's a little annoying. Not a huge deal, but it should definitely be there. Maybe it'll make it's way into Mango before final... :)

i think the restrictive size of mms, (300kb?, carrier dependent), may have something to do with it. taking a 1 second video with the phones is larger than that (default settings). as it is now, sharing videos taken with the phone is pretty quick and seamless through the email. snap a vid>share>email>send.

edit: been googling around. i never tried to share a video before but i guess this wasn't possible to share videos through email with nodo??? it is now possible with mango.

M_Lyons10

i think the restrictive size of mms, (300kb?, carrier dependent), may have something to do with it. taking a 1 second video with the phones is larger than that (default settings). as it is now, sharing videos taken with the phone is pretty quick and seamless through the email. snap a vid>share>email>send.

edit: been googling around. i never tried to share a video before but i guess this wasn't possible to share videos through email with nodo??? it is now possible with mango.

Well, I could send video from my WinMo phone... So, I dunno. Hopefully it will be added at some point.

As for e-mail, I actually never tried to attach a video to an e-mail. You're right, you can't. But it also seems you can't attach a document either? Can you do that in Mango?

linsook

Well, I could send video from my WinMo phone... So, I dunno. Hopefully it will be added at some point.

As for e-mail, I actually never tried to attach a video to an e-mail. You're right, you can't. But it also seems you can't attach a document either? Can you do that in Mango?

nope, doesn't seem like it's possible to email out documents, only able upload to skydrive and share there. pitty.

edit: i take that back. you can share documents through email.

M_Lyons10

nope, doesn't seem like it's possible to email out documents, only able upload to skydrive and share there. pitty.

edit: i take that back. you can share documents through email.

I just noticed that I can send documents in NoDo, but I have to go into Office, open the document, and then choose to send an e-mail from there. Not really very intuitive... You'd think you would be able to attach a document from within an e-mail...

M_Lyons10

Here's a question to those that are playing around with Mango...

Does it page text messages after a certain point? The neverending scroll list kind of becomes unmanageable if you text the person a lot...

I was just curious.

Thanks,

Touchadowns

I'm really getting tired of seeing "OMG it's doesn't have [obscure feature]? Even my [obsolete phone] had that!" posts.

guru

I'm really getting tired of seeing "OMG it's doesn't have [obscure feature]? Even my [obsolete phone] had that!" posts.

sending an mms or forwarding a contact aren't obscure features. $60 nokias have that available in the market now have that.

Does it page text messages after a certain point? The neverending scroll list kind of becomes unmanageable if you text the person a lot...

I was just curious.

Thanks,

+1

linsook

I was just curious.

Thanks,

Agreed. Or maybe something like a view option, expand to what we have now or collapse to the dates. And a search feature would be nice. I find myself on the odd occasion trying to search for what someone may have said but scrolling through a mountain of messages is nearly impossible.

Zain Adeel

.. cant you delete the conversation??/

which would make a new one on recieving a new msg?

articuno1au

Definitely :)

Just hold down the conversation in the conversations list and then click delete :)

Zain Adeel

kool then :)

problem solved.