Weapons? What do you own?

Cool on both counts (y)

Was at the 3D archery range last week getting ready for bow deer season, tuning up the PSE X-Force Full Throttle. Easton Axis Nano (fused carbon nanotube) arrow shafts.

Man....that thing is W-I-C-K-E-D FAST!!

• 1 month later...

Replaced the revolver I used to carry with this.  Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40.  I took it outside for some target practice and to be honest, I think I'm in love.  This is the 3rd handgun I've ever bought for myself and the first two were solid learning experiences.  This one is just big enough to fit my hand good, but small enough to be easily concealable without an imprint.  I bought it brand new from a dealer so it's in excellent condition.  The springs are all a little stiff so I put two magazines through it to get the slide working and work the magazine springs a little bit.  It does have a safety, which I'm usually not a fan of, but I really liked how the pistol felt, and it's in a position where it's very easy to de-activate while bringing it to bear, but it's low profile enough that it doesn't seem to catch on anything so de-activating it by accident is a pretty unlikely.  It's a thumb safety on the left side of the slide, so as a right handed shooter it's very easy to reach up and flip it down with the thumb on my dominant hand.  To top it all off, the one thing I was concerned about was having a handgun this small chambered in .40 caliber, but you know I think it's actually more manageable than the Smith & Wesson Sigma .40 I used to own.  I think it's because the grip is narrower so my hands are able to get a more solid claim on some real estate.  It did have a little bit of that upward snap .40 is known for, but to be honest I was very impressed with how manageable it was for the size of the firearm.  The trigger seemed relatively consistent with about a 6.5 pound pull.  Much better than the one on the S&W Sigma I had years back, and very consistent breaks so, at least in the 15 rounds I've put through it, I was never surprised by the trigger breaking at different points.  When I picked it up the owner of the store said that the M&P Shield has been by far his best selling gun all year.

I've only had it less than 24 hours, so no complaints yet, except maybe ammo capacity.  I have the 7 round magazine in it for the extension, but only have 5 rounds in it to keep from keeping the spring completely compressed all the time.  It comes with one 6 round magazine that sits flush with the frame, and one 7 round magazine that extends the grip a little bit.

I've placed it here next to a 30 round 5.56mm AR-15 magazine for size reference.

post-125978-0-13340800-1414716223.jpg

My daughter has one and she loves it. That and a Ruger LC9 for deep conceal in girlie clothes.

Yeah, the .40 has a snap but it's very manageable. On the other end it's a helluva lot more than a snap, especially with HST's or Gold Dot :)

My daughter has one and she loves it. That and a Ruger LC9 for deep conceal in girlie clothes.

Yeah, the .40 has a snap but it's very manageable. On the other end it's a helluva lot more than a snap, especially with HST's or Gold Dot :)

Yeah I picked up a box of 165 grain PMC FMJs for target practice, and 165 grain Hornady Critical Defense for carry.  I fired a couple of the Hornady rounds just to get a feel for them, and see how they performed.  The Hornady Critical Defense were noticably hotter than the PMC FMJs, and when I looked up the ammo specs on their website the PMC rounds were only rated for a muzzel velocity of 989 fps, while the Hornady Critical Defense has 1,175 fps printed on the box (although I don't have a chronograph to measure what kind velocity they had coming out of a 3.1 inch barrel).  They were still very manageable, but there was a noticeable difference in the report and recoil between the target and carry loads, even though they were both 165 grain projectiles.  At about 20 feet I stood up a bunch of pop cans full of water.  I fired 13 rounds of the FMJs, and then fired 2 of the hollow points.  The FMJs were devastating in their own right just because of how heavy the round was.  Most of the pop cans were peeled open, and a couple were even torn in half.  The critical defense rounds though totally demolished the cans I shot and effectively turned them into shrapnel I had to spend a minute or two picking up out of the grass, which tells me that there was rapid expansion just in the width of a single pop can, so even though metal and water are not comparable to human flesh, seeing how fast they expanded made me feel pretty good about using these as a carry round.

I seriously considered a Ruger LC9, but I really liked being able to pack a .40 cal into an easily concealable pistol.  I've carried revolvers, full sized handguns, etc., and they were always a little awkward to conceal, and a little awkward to keep from damaging when out working.  I stay pretty active outside, even during cold weather, and there has been more than one occasion that I've been carrying something or working on something and bang the hand grip on a pistol around.  I feel like the M&P Shield gives me the a good middle ground by being both concealable, but still large enough to be comfortable in my hands (I'm not a huge guy, just 5'11", 175 pounds), and chambered in a round I'm comfortable with and have fired a lot before, .40 S&W.  If I had to complain about something, it would be the fact that even with the extended magazine, you only have 7 rounds, so I keep the 6 round magazine loaded as well and stuck in the inside pocket of my jacket or the console of my truck when I go out.

I could just be giddy because it's "new", but I feel like after carrying several different handguns over the years, I may have finally found "the one".

Mag capacity is where my SIG P250sc (subcompact) shines. Its a double-stack, so it holds 10 +1 in the chamber. With 2 spare mags that's 31 rounds.

OTOH, the extended P250 Compact mag also fits, which is 13 rounds +1. Optional handle extension covers it, or you can swap in the Compact handle.

The P250 Full 14 +1 mag also fits, but if someone goes that far they should just swap slides and the handle to convert it to a P250 Full. Takes <2 minutes, no tools.

In all of these, swapping just the barrel (not the whole slide) converts it to a .357 SIG. Mags are the same.

The Transformed of pistols.

/deepbow Ahhh Korean Karate...well done!

Yeah, sure they are. What? You find yourself needing to fight off waves of bear and pigs with your Rambo-wannabe lineup? AR-15?

I call BS btw. Pics or it didn't happen smile.gif

He has shown pics several times.  He isnt bragging

My dog Spike had to be put down about 18 months ago sad.gif

110 lb rottweiler & ridgeback mix. Smart, loved family, wouldn't let my grandkids go home smile.gif but intrudrers or threatening people beware - he could go junkyard in a heartbeat.

Need to start looking for a new big dog soon..

Spike

spike.jpg

aww crap man, Im sorry to hear that.  I had to put my 13 year old cocker spaniel to sleep a couple of months ago.  She was my best friend, never left my side for 13 years.  Getting another really helps with the sense of loss, but only when you're ready.

I have myself.

My wife has four katanas and four hira shuriken.

:huh: Your wife ?  WTF?  Please post pics, Ive got to see this

My friend has so many brass knuckles and he has a butterfly knife and my other friend has a Magnum.

"my other friend has a Magnum" ??  :huh:

A Magnum ?!?  What ?  A condom ?  A large bottle of champagne ?  A .44 ?   what ?   Youre young arent you ?

I never had a lot of guns, just a couple of target practice, and for the hell of it.  I had a Detonics Scoremaster .45 - the old original, not the newer crap ones.

But my pride and joy was my precision rifle: 

A custom made (by S&M Precision) 6mm-284 precision rifle with a Swarovski z5 scope and a 3 ounce trigger :)

S&M Precision Rifles was the gun shop of 3 time World Champion Target Sport Marksman Speedy Gonzales (dont even know what is birth name was)

It was about 26 pounds,  the outer diameter of the barrel was 1.5" and with the scope it cost more than some peoples' car.  It was given to me for a birthday gift from my father.

The target below was not my best, but it was the first day the gun was mine - I was "happy as a puppy with 2 peters"

10 shots 210 yards w/ ~20 mph gusts

post-508501-0-28560700-1414979977.jpg

• Like 2

He has shown pics several times.  He isnt bragging

aww crap man, Im sorry to hear that.  I had to put my 13 year old cocker spaniel to sleep a couple of months ago.  She was my best friend, never left my side for 13 years.  Getting another really helps with the sense of loss, but only when you're ready.

:huh: Your wife ?  WTF?  Please post pics, Ive got to see this

"my other friend has a Magnum" ??  :huh:

A Magnum ?!?  What ?  A condom ?  A large bottle of champagne ?  A .44 ?   what ?   Youre young arent you ?

I never had a lot of guns, just a couple of target practice, and for the hell of it.  I had a Detonics Scoremaster .45 - the old original, not the newer crap ones.

But my pride and joy was my precision rifle: 

A custom made (by S&M Precision) 6mm-284 precision rifle with a Swarovski z5 scope and a 3 ounce trigger :)

S&M Precision Rifles was the gun shop of 3 time World Champion Target Sport Marksman Speedy Gonzales (dont even know what is birth name was)

It was about 26 pounds,  the outer diameter of the barrel was 1.5" and with the scope it cost more than some peoples' car.  It was given to me for a birthday gift from my father.

The target below was not my best, but it was the first day the gun was mine - I was "happy as a puppy with 2 peters"

10 shots 210 yards w/ ~20 mph gusts

attachicon.gif12-15-10 023.JPG

At first I thought that was a full size target, then I saw the credit card in the top of the frame for size reference.  At 210 yards, that's freakin' amazing.  I mean seriously, you could poke out an eye at 210 yards.

At first I thought that was a full size target, then I saw the credit card in the top of the frame for size reference.  At 210 yards, that's freakin' amazing.  I mean seriously, you could poke out an eye at 210 yards.

hehe, Thanks

With a 3 ounce trigger weight, as soon as you think about shooting, its already gone off - it takes a while to be able to touch the trigger without firing.

hehe, Thanks

With a 3 ounce trigger weight, as soon as you think about shooting, its already gone off - it takes a while to be able to touch the trigger without firing.

I picked one up that was on display in one of my favorite gun stores around here.  I picked it up and pointed it into the ceiling, checked it to be sure it was clear and to feel the movement of the bolt.  I went to pull the trigger just to release the spring tension and no sooner did my finger even contact the trigger did it snap.  It really caught me by surprise.  I never knew that competition rifles had triggers that light.

I picked one up that was on display in one of my favorite gun stores around here.  I picked it up and pointed it into the ceiling, checked it to be sure it was clear and to feel the movement of the bolt.  I went to pull the trigger just to release the spring tension and no sooner did my finger even contact the trigger did it snap.  It really caught me by surprise.  I never knew that competition rifles had triggers that light.

Its kinda funny, because once you get used to that kind of trigger weight, then you move to a "normal" gun, you start thinking "god all this movement in the trigger is unnecessary, how in the heck can someone shoot with this garbage !"

It just takes a little getting used to.  Before I dry fired it for the 1st time to get a feel for it, the gunsmith joked, "I think if you shine a flashlight on it, it might go off..."

Now the guy who owns the gun shop, and is the 2x or 3x world record holder, he uses 1.5 ounces... I cant imagine that.  What is amazing, is with the trigger weight being that light, you would expect it to fire if you barely nudged the gun, thankfully it doesnt.

The guy, Speedy Gonzales, even had a video game made after him, but it was a horrible game, horrible graphics, horrible gameplay.  Story is he got screwed on the deal, they thought using "world record holder" would mean sales, but it was a dud and he didnt get any money from it.  It was a Sega Genesis game I think.  There are stories that he was a sniper for the CIA back in the 70s.... yes I said the CIA.  Of course we dont know if its true, but he does have some pretty cool stories.

FWIW

• 1 month later...

Picked up a couple of pistols the guy at the pawn shop was a good salesman and got me good

I got a BP9CC and a Mini 9 firestorm both 9mm

both are used but the bp9cc (top) is basically new with no signs of wear or gook even in hard to clean areas

IMG_0164.jpg

• Like 2

My SIG Sauer P250 .40 in its subcompact configuration, carried in a diabetic kit/holster rig.

02693b160357d7225223307c88b0c1e0.jpg

The P250 only has one registered part, the fire control module which contains the trigger, safety hardware and hammer. Everything else can be swapped out to change it between 3 reinforced polymer frame sizes with 3 grip sizes in each frame type, 3 slide/barrel lengths and several calibers. Changing from .40 to .357 SIG and back only requires a barrel swap - about 1 minute and no tools. Same magazine.

Exploded view showing the modules. What's really weird is that using the full size slide on the compact or subcompact frame, or the reverse, works perfectly. Looks strange, but still.

40513dc29d8af83dd1c63c9154d8426f.jpg

• 1 month later...

There's signage on my SIG Mk25, the civilian SEAL P226, but I can't bring myself to touch them: the US QR code and an inlaid gold anchor.

Those are a little different. To me it was just to much and a lot of people agree, so much so that rock island armory no longer puts their name across the slide, instead they put a little logo right behind the sarations on the slide on newer guns.