Weapons? What do you own?

None, since I don't live my life in fear. 

Fear has nothing to do with it.  You ever tried to shoot a deer with a bow and arrow? (Hint, it's a hell of a lot harder than with a rifle)  How about fight off a coyote with your bare hands while it's trying to kill one of your small family dogs?  If you're not going to actually contribute to the conversation, then take your drivel elsewhere.  We've managed to keep this topic mostly clear of political debate, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Went up on the ridge today to do some target practice with a buddy of mine.  I had zeroed the Nikon P223 scope on my AR-15, but when I zeroed it the wind was up and I wasn't using a good solid rest, so I wasn't 100% confident in the zero, at least until today.  I was able to repeatedly knock down 20 oz. bottles and milk jugs at ranges from 75 to 200 yards with no problem while using the tailgate of my truck as a rest, so I'm happy with the zero, :-)  I put the scope on it for hunting.  I took a deer with this rifle year before last, but then this past season I let 3 or 4 good bucks walk because I wasn't comfortable taking the shot with the standard iron sights.  I would have hit them no problem, but they were far enough away that I was not confident about "where" I would have hit them, so I bought the scope to help me make more accurate shots at distance, whether hunting deer, or blowing the hell out of milk jugs filled with colored water, :p

Rifle: Windham Weaponry HBC (16 inch heavy profile barrel with A2 bird cage style flash suppressor and standard carbine length hand guards)

Cartridge: Federal 5.56mm NATO 55 grain FMJs

Scope: Nikon P223 3-9x40

Note: The white residue all over the bed of my truck is left over from where I used it to haul a ton and a half of gravel the day prior.  The monstrosity of a rifle laying across the bed to my right is my buddy's Russian Mosin Nagant.

post-125978-0-99432600-1433994825.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

a shot gun and a semi automatic rifle. Just curious, why do they call it semi automatic?/

because the action loads another round in the chamber, semi because it only fires once per trigger pull.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some plinking with a buddy of mine and his Mosin Nagant.  He was thinking about selling the rifle because he couldn't hit anything with it, so instead of him selling it I decided we ought to take it out and set up a target and shoot from the prone supported position to rule out the rifle as the problem.

Just ordered a SIG Sauer P320.

SIG Sauer P320 is evolved from the SIG P250, which I've carried for a few years. It shares handles, mags and a few other parts along with the fire control module/convertible system concept. Basically, the only registered part is the FCM.

Where it differs is that it's striker fired instead of hammer fired; it has a shorter, snappier double action only (DAO) trigger; and it has an adjustable pull (via part swap.) These changes make it more attractive to LEO's.

P320 full and compact handles

sig-sauers-first-striker-fired-pistols.j

P320 broken down

P1060300-900x600.jpg

P250 full size

721800_L1.jpg

P250 broken down (full & subcompact configs)

IMG_1024.jpg

Chosen by Oklahoma Highway Patrol

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/03/oklahoma-highway-patrol-turns-to-sig-320/

American Rifleman article

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/3/20/sig-sauer-p320-tomorrows-sig-today/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My 1911 is going to be getting a little bit of plastic soon (wednesday) can't wait.

Just ordered a SIG Sauer P320.

SIG Sauer P320 is evolved from the SIG P250, which I've carried for a few years. It shares handles, mags and a few other parts along with the fire control module/convertible system concept. Basically, the only registered part is the FCM.

Where it differs is that it's striker fired instead of hammer fired; it has a shorter, snappier double action only (DAO) trigger; and it has an adjustable pull (via part swap.) These changes make it more attractive to LEO's.

P320 full and compact handles
sig-sauers-first-striker-fired-pistols.j

P320 broken down
P1060300-900x600.jpg

P250 full size
721800_L1.jpg

P250 broken down (full & subcompact configs)
IMG_1024.jpg

Chosen by Oklahoma Highway Patrol
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/03/oklahoma-highway-patrol-turns-to-sig-320/

American Rifleman article
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/3/20/sig-sauer-p320-tomorrows-sig-today/

My brother has a sub compact 250 can't say I like the long trigger pull of it. I suppose its something you'd just get use to though. 

My 1911 is going to be getting a little bit of plastic soon (wednesday) can't wait.

Looks good! (Y)

My brother has a sub compact 250 can't say I like the long trigger pull of it. I suppose its something you'd just get use to though.

The long P250 takeup makes it a bit safer, but once you're on the sear it's very crisp and consistant. In its subcompact form factor mine can group nicely even at 20-25 yards. Then again, I started out on a S&W 19 DA revolver.

The only real P250 problem I have is the long reset before the next round can be fired, which going to striker-fired on the P320 fixes. That thing is quick & slick.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a proud owner of a KWA MK23 Socom, airsoft gas pistol.I started playing airsoft last year . I will be getting an upgrade soon. I have already ordered Tokyo Marui Glock 18C Full-Auto Gas Blowback pistol from mach1 airsoft, a gun dealer in canda. I can’t wait to get my hands on it. It is the best in the market.

https://mach1airsoft.com/product/tokyo-marui-glock-18c-full-auto-gas-blowback/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd add pictures of two of my knives.  I have a Gerber pocket knife I carry, but it's not really a weapon.  It has like a 2" cutting blade, but it's my multi-tool.  It also had a pair of pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, etc.

Anyway, here's the two non-utility knives that get the most use.  First up is a Buck brand skinning knife.  When I married my wife my mother-in-law gave me this knife, and said she had used it all her life.  It had a decent edge, but the tip had been broken, so I took it to a grinder to kind of round the point back out a little and then went to town with my whitestone.  The point is a little off because it's really hard to finesse your work when you're using an electric grinder and something as thin as a skinning knife, but I got a good point on it and sharpened it with my whetstone so that now whenever I need to skin a deer it just falls through the meat and things like a hot knife through butter.  You can pull out on the hide while skinning a deer and the weight of the knife by itself is usually enough to cause the hide to just peel right off.  After I use it I usually give it 20-30 strokes across the whetstone to maintain that edge (it's easier to maintain an edge than to let one get dull and have to start over) and it has served me well for years.

skinning-knife.thumb.jpg.dc328522c2a8df2

Next up is my Gerber brand hunting knife.  I'm pretty sure it was intended more as a combat knife because I had it issued to me in the Army, but it has seen a lot more use as a tool than a weapon.  I use this one for processing animals as well.  This one gets to do some of the rough jobs though where I'm not to terribly worried about fouling up the edge, so this one gets used for cutting through a deer's sternum, chopping the legs off squirrels, etc.  For the REALLY thick stuff like deer neck bones and things I just use a hacksaw, but every tool has a purpose, including this one.  I apologize if you're a little squeamish, I just used these knives like two days ago and was in a hurry to get the meat inside and into the fridge, so I just stuck the knives back in their sheeths and forgot to wash this one off afterward, so it's covered in blood and deer hair.  The skinning knife got washed when we cut the larger portions into smaller cuts inside the house (my skinning knife is sharper than my wife's Ginsu kitchen knives), but I forgot this one was in my bag and it hasn't been washed yet, :p

gerberknife.jpg

Edited by Gerowen

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention that the recently signed 2016 US Defense Authorization Act has changes which will allow the US Army to transfer 10,000 of its surplus M1911 .45 automatic pistols to the Civilian Marksmanship Program for sale to the public through its usual channels. This is a pilot program, and if continued another 90,000 M1911's would be transferred and sold.

Just traded a tonneau cover for a Horton summit 150 crossbow

never really messed around with a crossbow but I probably will trade it on down the line since I paid nothing for it

10099865.jpg

Mossberg .410

photo_1_12.jpg

Romanian AK

411546417.jpg

Taurus PT145 Pro Millennium (In which i just found out there is a class action lawsuit and recall on this pistol)

Walther-PPK-Demo-380_0732.png

Walther PPK 9mm kurz/.380 ACP

Stock-Mossberg-702.png

Mossberg .22 Plinkster

If I could afford one of the Les Baer 1911 models i'd add the pic heh heh.

I am currently looking to replace the Taurus with a Sig or Springfield .45.

Take a look at the SIG P320.

I bought one a couple months ago and like it. It has the same modular 'Transformer' capabilities as the P250 but in a striker fired version. One registered module  contains the entire firing system, the rest are accessories. Swap a few parts and it can go from a subcompact to compact to a full size, or from a 9mm to a .357 SIG, .40 or .45. IIRC .380 and .22 kits are coming. Going from a .357 SIG to a .40 TAKES 1 part.

This modularity put it in the finals for the next US military service weapon.

P1060300-900x600.jpg

78ee4f0bbe6af5d2e3fd8ad9125113cf.jpg

• 6 months later...

Did some target practicing today and there's a piece of plywood we leave up on that ridge to staple targets to.  We hadn't been up there in a while so it took us a minute to locate the board because it had been bleached out by the sun so it almost matched the color of the gravel/dirt.  When I flipped the board up to put targets on it, this little beauty was staring me right in the face.  I laughed and said, "That was almost a bad day" and he replied and said, "That's a whole bunch of nope from f-thatistan", lol.  I just left her alone.  I figure if I didn't bother her she wouldn't bother me, she was on the ridge miles from any civilization, and all creatures have their purpose in the larger scheme of things.

13495096_1229798160365344_1288866451342621490_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would share; this seemed like the best topic for it.

I spotted some "ZEM Hearing Protection" devices on the NRA's online store the other day.  They're kind of like a small set of headphones with foam protectors on the bits that poke into your ear.  They are one of the best pieces of hearing protection I've ever used.  I was issued a set of rubber triple flanged ear plugs in basic training that I packed around for years and replaced them with an identical set when they eventually wore out, and they worked really well.  The orange ones were too small but the blue ones fit my ears perfect, made a good seal and protected my hearing.  These ZEM devices though, they're wild.  Normal volume activity like talking is still possible while wearing them, but when you fire a gunshot they do something to muffle the concussion.  It's unreal.  I took the scope off my rifle and put the trusty old A2 iron sights back on it for packing it around in the woods and took it out back to make sure they held zero and I was shocked when I fired that first shot.  Even with the old triple flanged rubber ones you didn't experience discomfort, but you could still hear that deep concussion.  With these things it sounded kind of like my little .22 long rifle.  The concussion, the thunderous boom, was completely gone, and all I heard was a sort of tap, which could have been the rifle itself just cycling or the supersonic crack produced when the projectile breaks the sound barrier.  It really is hard to describe just how much of a difference there is between these and the military issue triple flanged ear plugs.  They'd probably be good for other things too like when you're working out in your shed and using loud tools like a circular saw.

Anyway, I'll shut up, I just wanted to share this info so if some of you are still looking for some good hearing protection to stick in your pack and take with you, I highly recommend these "ZEM Enhanced" things.  They fold up so you can drape them on your neck when walking, they're not nearly as bulky as a set of muffs so you don't have to adjust your cheek weld to accommodate them when aiming, and you can order replacement foam to slip on them if the old ones wear out.  The only thing I wouldn't really recommend them for would be if you're a 3 gunner or some type of active competition shooter.  When shooting from the prone unsupported I did have them slip down off my head once or twice, and this might also be a problem if you're moving a lot.  I don't have very much hair, but the slick plastic of the piece that wraps over your head didn't get much grip on my head so I had to make sure they were good and secure.  I haven't tried using them with a hat or something on yet, but that might help too.

Like just about everything on the NRA's store, they don't actually make the product, they license it from somebody else and have their name printed on it, so you can just Google "ZEM Hearing Protection" and find it from people other than the NRA, but that's where I got mine.  The NRA has the "ZEM Enhanced" priced at $40, but they're well worth it in my opinion.

If you'd like to buy them from the NRA's online store, here's the link: http://www.nrastore.com/nra-zem-enhanced-hearing-protection