Skype 5.2 for Mac

Skype 5.2 for Mac was released this morning.

New in this release:

Group screen sharing

group-video-sharing-460.jpg

Show presentations, photos and more by sharing your computer screen with everyone on the call. You stay in control of what they see. Available only with a Skype Premium subscription.

Call control bar ? with video

call-control-bar-460.jpg

Now you don? t need to switch back to full-screen Skype to carry on a video call. Just minimize Skype and you can still see the person you?re talking to ? while you also work on your computer.

Sorry Mephistopheles, I just wanted to start a discussion about whether this version might be the one that 2.8 users can finally upgrade from. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it looks like the floating video call window is a step in the right direction, even if they refuse to fix the other more obvious bad UI decisions they have made.

Download: Skype for Mac

Now if I can just get skype to work between my laptop and my gf's, with video, I'll be happy (no dirty thoughts! We're in an LDR so its nice to see the other person even if it is by webcam). It worked fine when I had a windows laptop, but now I'm using a mac it doesn't want to play ball.

Now if I can just get skype to work between my laptop and my gf's, with video, I'll be happy (no dirty thoughts! We're in an LDR so its nice to see the other person even if it is by webcam). It worked fine when I had a windows laptop, but now I'm using a mac it doesn't want to play ball.

Really? Interesting, I haven't heard that one before. Have you tried downgrading to version 2.8 to see if that fixes the problem?

This version is a step in the right direction, although not what I really had hoped for. I'd still like the option to go back to the multi-window UI you still have as option in the Windows version.

Still, it is better than the mess that were versions 5.0 and 5.1.

Really? Interesting, I haven't heard that one before. Have you tried downgrading to version 2.8 to see if that fixes the problem?

We have had problems doing video chat on windows live messenger too, so its either one of our laptops or just something strange is happening.

Shes getting a new laptop (with a built it webcam, rather than a USB one) next month, so will see if it is fixed then. If not, I'll try messing around with the versions we have installed.

Back to skype - the floating video window looks really nice. Should be quite handy on my 13" screen (where I don't have much room on screen).

I've also noticed that Skype now has it's own built in Notification system and ignores Growl. BAD SKYPE!

I believe it has been that way since the initial version 5.

Why the hell does everything on the Mac so much prettier than Windows??

Microsoft never put as much attention into Windows' user-interface as Apple did with Mac OS (X). My guess is Windows developers and perhaps even its users never really started caring either because of that. Mac OS X developers and users generally are much more passionate when it comes to the way they interface with their computer.

When comparing something like this:

WinZip 15.5 for Windows

9tpqps.png

To this:

WinZip 1.5 for Mac

20geihu.png

I'm extremely glad I made the switch to Mac OS X years ago. Most things look just overly complex, messy and inconsistent in Windows. Not to mention the archaic interfaces and icons many popular Windows applications still have.

Microsoft never put as much attention into Windows' user-interface as Apple did with Mac OS (X). My guess is Windows developers and perhaps even its users never really started caring either because of that. Mac OS X developers and users generally are much more passionate when it comes to this. When looking at something like this:

SNIP

Versus this:

SNIP

I'm extremely glad I made the switch to Mac OS X years ago. Most things look just overly complex, messy and inconsistent in Windows. Not to mention archaic.

I agree 100%.

Software Update tells me Skype 5.1.29 is the latest version.

@ .Neo? what Archive software is that?

Software Update tells me Skype 5.1.29 is the latest version.

Just download it manually from Skype's website.

@ .Neo? what Archive software is that?

WinZip 1.5 for Mac.

So all in all, given the pros and cons of version 5.2, is it worth upgrading from 2.8 yet?

I like having my contact list sitting on the right side of the screen as a separate window from my conversations, and I like that contact list to be a list of online/offline people, not the one of my most recent conversations. I remember the beta of 5.0 didn't bother making it easy to see the normal contact list, but I'm not sure if that changed...

And I guess the conversation window is still attached to the contact (conversation?) list so that kind of sucks...

I'm the kind of guy who likes to be on the cutting edge, so to be running an older version of something when I know a newer version exists is slowly killing me inside.

So all in all, given the pros and cons of version 5.2, is it worth upgrading from 2.8 yet?

There's nothing preventing you from running version 5.2 and 2.8 side-by-side, so why not give it a spin yourself? If you want to be truly safe make a backup of your preferences file and Skype 2.8 app bundle.

There's nothing preventing you from running version 5.2 and 2.8 side-by-side, so why not give it a spin yourself? If you want to be truly safe make a backup of your preferences file and Skype 2.8 app bundle.

Hmm, true. I was thinking about trying it out myself but I guess I was wondering if anyone had any outright damning complaint about the new version. I can't tell if people keep trying it and then switching back to 2.8, or if they're just living with the new version despite its limitations. I'll probably give it a try at the next release.

Hmm, true. I was thinking about trying it out myself but I guess I was wondering if anyone had any outright damning complaint about the new version. I can't tell if people keep trying it and then switching back to 2.8, or if they're just living with the new version despite its limitations. I'll probably give it a try at the next release.

I'm just living with it.

Microsoft never put as much attention into Windows' user-interface as Apple did with Mac OS (X). My guess is Windows developers and perhaps even its users never really started caring either because of that. Mac OS X developers and users generally are much more passionate when it comes to the way they interface with their computer.

WinZip 15.5 for Windows

9tpqps.png

To this:

WinZip 1.5 for Mac

20geihu.png

I'm extremely glad I made the switch to Mac OS X years ago. Most things look just overly complex, messy and inconsistent in Windows. Not to mention the archaic interfaces and icons many popular Windows applications still have.

+1

• Like 2

I believe it has been that way since the initial version 5.

You can choose between Growl and its own built-in notification system from the preferences.

Can I resize my contact list as I see fit? Otherwise I will continue to use 2.8

My biggest, and only complaint of Skype 5

WinZip 15.5 for Windows

9tpqps.png

To this:

WinZip 1.5 for Mac

20geihu.png

You're the only person I know that still uses WinZip on a Windows system. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

wJLtS.png

You're the only person I know that still uses WinZip on a Windows system. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

For your information I don't have a Windows system, I pulled the screen shot off the internet. Way to miss the point too. It has nothing to do with ignorance, I brought up WinZip for Mac vs WinZip for Windows simply for the sake of comparison. Real shame you fail to understand that. Many Windows developers don't give a flying **** about proper interface design. The screen shot you provide is a shining example of that as well: While 7-zip appears less complex and confusing it still looks like an application that escaped from 1998. Those toolbar buttons are just so out of place and don't fit in with Windows Aero at all. Especially loving that Windows XP-styled up button next to the address bar and the 16/24 bit application icon.

Thanks for proofing my point btw. (Y)

(snipped)

Yeah, here?s the interface of my un-archiving application, try to beat that :

post-43201-0-18221100-1310856578.png

Most un-archiving apps on the Mac don?t feature any GUI apart from a simple double-click on the file because all the options that you see in insanely complex un-archiving apps are actually perfectly implemented in the OS. You don?t miss a single thing by having a simple app like that.

I?ve never understood why companies break their asses in pieces on Windows to fill their apps with crap and features that nobody uses really. Keep it simple for God?s sake.