Skype 5.2 for Mac

It finally decided there was a new version, and downloaded the update. BUT, the update couldn't be verified and didn't install (N)

Microsoft never put as much attention into Windows' user-interface as Apple did with Mac OS (X). My guess is Windows developers and perhaps even its users never really started caring either because of that. Mac OS X developers and users generally are much more passionate when it comes to the way they interface with their computer.

Just curious, but how is that better? A pantload of wasted space versus a bunch of extra functionality (which can be collapsed)? I mean jeez what's the point of that ginormous bar running across the top of the OSX version?

• Like 2

Just curious, but how is that better? A pantload of wasted space versus a bunch of extra functionality (which can be collapsed)? I mean jeez what's the point of that ginormous bar running across the top of the OSX version?

You mean those 22 pixels? I'm guessing the ribbon which takes up half the vertical space of your screen on every open window is a much prefered solution. Not to mention those utterly pointless thick glass borders around just about everything. What exactly has the menu bar to do with overall consistency and poorly designed third-party applications?

Even Windows users these days complain about the lacking interface quality of third-party Windows applications. Like I said many Windows developers simply don't care if they use Windows 98-styled icons, dated designs etc. For some reason Mac OS X developers seem to care a lot more. Probably because Apple always invested more in details than Microsoft ever did.

You mean those 22 pixels? I'm guessing the ribbon which takes up half the vertical space of your screen is a much prefered solution.

Well, yes, it actually serves a purpose by providing functionality versus just showing redundant information. (Sure about those 22 pixels? It's almost as big as the ribbon, and that's not including the toolbar above it..) It can also be collapsed if you're a minimalist.

Well, yes, it actually serves a purpose by providing functionality versus just showing redundant information. (Sure about those 22 pixels? It's almost as big as the ribbon, and that's not including the toolbar above it..) It can also be collapsed if you're a minimalist.

Would be nice if you got your facts straight before randomly ripping on something. The Menu Bar is located at the top of the Mac OS X desktop and is 22 pixels thick. I'll take that over a bloated Ribbon littered with all kinds of different buttons, icons and icon sizes any day. The Dock icon size can be toggled from anywhere between 14 pixels - 128 pixels and can be completely hidden from sight (not just collapsed), so what point do you have here? Beyond that if you think the Dock shows redundant information you should feel the same way about the Windows 7 task bar since they fulfill the exact same purpose, short of the notification area.

And still, none of this bares any relevance whatsoever to the quality of third-party application interfaces on Windows. (Y)

The Menu Bar is located at the top of the Mac OS X desktop and is 22 pixels thick.

Mmkay, I wasn't asking about the menu bar, I was asking about that big honking bar running near the top of the window that only shows the name of the archive in use.. namely a ton of wasted space with redunant information.

Beyond that if you think the Dock shows redundant information you should feel the same way about the Windows 7 task bar.

Wow, really? I wasn't talking about the dock, and you only wish OSX had some of the features that Window 7's taskbar is capable of.

And still, none of this bares any relevance whatsoever to the quality of third-party application interfaces on Windows. (Y)

Well apparently it does as you're the one that started raising crap about it in the first place. Scroll up. I was merely asking what you were basing your opinion on.. you're the one turning this into a fan boy ****ing contest.

Mmkay, I wasn't asking about the menu bar, I was asking about that big honking bar running near the top of the window that only shows the name of the archive in use.. namely a ton of wasted space with redunant information.

Wasted? It has window controls, name or path and full-screen controls. Also, I can't see any oversized junk which is, what to call it, Aero in a nutshell.

http://cl.ly/1c362y15372R1w1B3A1X

Wow, really? I wasn't talking about the dock, and you only wish OSX had some of the features that Window 7's taskbar is capable of.

What features, exactly? Showing some thumbnails that are too small to be effective yet waste too much space? The Dock has features to control the applications from each icon's menu.

Well apparently it does as you're the one that started raising crap about it in the first place. Scroll up. I was merely asking what you were basing your opinion on.. you're the one turning this into a fan boy ****ing contest.

He's merely stating facts, as far as I can tell. You seem to be taking it personally and go on a non-factual defence, however.

• Like 2

Wasted? It has window controls, name or path and full-screen controls. Also, I can't see any oversized junk which is, what to call it, Aero in a nutshell.

*Sigh* Ok maybe I'm not being clear. Maybe this will help. A bit clearer now? I figured "that big honking area with the wasted space" would be clear but ...

post-374862-0-14359300-1310914786.png

What features, exactly? Showing some thumbnails that are too small to be effective yet waste too much space? The Dock has features to control the applications from each icon's menu.

Ok. And so does the taskbar, and then some. And that's not including adding functionality too it, say stacks and whatnot. Plus if you really wanted to, you can make the preview window absurdly large via a quick setting change.

post-374862-0-19165400-1310915051.png post-374862-0-10300700-1310915077.png

He's merely stating facts, as far as I can tell. You seem to be taking it personally and go on a non-factual defence, however.

Man what is it with you guys.. scroll up, I was merely asking a question, he's the one that got all defensive and rude about it, and frankly at your lack of reading comprehension and quickness to throw down the Windows sucks nonsense at the drop of a hat, so are you, sheesh.

You mean the Zip Bar? It's optional and can be completely removed if desired without sacrificing functionality...

It helps if you don't get names all mixed up, so the other party can understand what you're talking about. Beyond that you don't seem to know much about what the Dock actually handles. And what exactly has wishing to do with anything? You're under the impression that for some reason I can't go to the store right now, buy a copy of Windows 7 and install it on my computer? Let me tell you a little secret: I can.

Again, you don't seem to know what the discussion was: The quality of third-party application interface design on Windows vs Mac OS X. Which involves at the very least using proper artwork that fits in with the overall OS styling. You moaning about a bar that can be completely hidden from sight has nothing to do with that. Then you go rambling along about being able to collapse the ribbon, guess what? You can completely hide most toolbars on Mac OS X as well.

You mean the Zip Bar? It's optional and can be completely removed if desired without sacrificing functionality...

I would hope so as it's a waste of space with no functionality whatsoever.

It helps if you don't get names all mixed up, so the other party can understand what you're talking about. Beyond that you don't seem to know much about what the Dock actually handles. And what exactly has wishing to do with anything? You're under the impression that for some reason I can't go to the store right now, buy a copy of Windows 7 and install it on my computer? Let me tell you a little secret: I can.

Um congrats? And my Hackintosh says hi. So what? Has zero relevance on the question.

You moaning about a bar that can be completely hidden from sight has nothing to do with that. Then you go rambling along about being able to collapse the ribbon, guess what? You can completely hide most toolbars on Mac OS X as well.

Holy hell, finally, a f'ing answer. Was that so hard? Self righteous twit.

The quality of third-party application interface design on Windows vs Mac OS X. Which involves at the very least using proper artwork that fits in with the overall OS styling.

Again, that's what I was referring to, and ummm it would take me all of 30 seconds to write up a seriously butt-ugly program for OSX. Does that suddenly make OSX a poorly designed OS? No. It's just a bad choice on a third party programmer's end. Just like what we have with the examples above.

Next time somebody asks you a perfectly simple question, save the forum drama mkay?

Ok. And so does the taskbar, and then some. And that's not including adding functionality too it, say stacks and whatnot. Plus if you really wanted to, you can make the preview window absurdly large via a quick setting change.

You realize Dock menus can hold controls as well? iTunes has been making use of this since 2001 or something. Window previews are provided through Mission Control/Expos?.

I'll ask you for the third time: What has any of this to do with third-party interface design?

I'll ask you for the third time: What has any of this to do with third-party interface design?

I have no idea, I'm not the one who brought the f'ing dock into it in the first place.

I would hope so as it's a waste of space with no functionality whatsoever.

It can in fact be completely hidden from view, what is there to hope?

Um congrats? And my Hackintosh says hi. So what? Has zero relevance on the question.

It's time you start reading back your comments where you start rambling about me wishing things.

Holy hell, finally, a f'ing answer. Was that so hard? Self righteous twit.

Try being more coherent from the very start instead of letting others play a guessing game as to what you mean.

Again, that's what I was referring to, and ummm it would take me all of 30 seconds to write up a seriously butt-ugly program for OSX. Does that suddenly make OSX a poorly designed OS? No. It's just a bad choice on a third party programmer's end. Just like what we have with the examples above.

Something you tend to see happen a lot on Windows' side of things. Not even Microsoft is able to bring a remotely unified design to their own operating system, something that reflects back to the applications running on it.

I have no idea, I'm not the one who brought the f'ing dock into it in the first place.

No you started talking about the Menu Bar taking up more than 22 pixels, leaving me to guess what part of the interface you were actually talking about.

It can in fact be completely hidden from view, what is there to hope?

Well since you didn't answer that till just a moment ago, yea, I would have hoped it would be able to be disabled/collapsed. Unless you like wasting a ton of space on nothing. Now I know. Thank you for wasting a good bit of time and two pages for this.

It's time you start reading back your comments where you start rambling about me wishing things.

You mean when you started going on about the dock for whatever reason?

Try being more coherent from the very start instead of letting others play a guessing game as to what you mean.

Sorry, next time I ask a question to a Mac user, I'll make sure to include pictures.

Something you tend to see happen a lot on Windows' side of things. Not even Microsoft is able to bring a remotely unified design to their own operating system, something that reflects back to the applications running on it.

And like I said, guess what, hardly unique to Windows. Plus that's a good thing... new features, new ideas and all versus carrying the same old interface for years and years. Again, it was a simple question, and you're turning this into the usual flamewar nonsense.

No you started talking about the Menu Bar taking up more than 22 pixels, leaving me to guess what part of the interface you were actually talking about.

Never once did I say menu bar. "I mean jeez what's the point of that ginormous bar running across the top of the OSX version?" Original question about your little tirade about WinZIP.

Let's leave it to a misunderstanding okay?

You've got your answer: Toolbars in general can be hidden from view, the added Zip Bar can be as well.

Let's leave it to a misunderstanding okay?

You've got your answer: Toolbars in general can be hidden from view, the added Zip Bar can be as well.

Fine, that definitely got out of hand, thanks for the answer.

Fine, that definitely got out of hand, thanks for the answer.

Good thing that this ended well. Some punishment was going to be distributed here for immature behavior and circumventing the swear filter. Let's keep a lid on it, in the future.