Samsung Galaxy S2 WiFi Issues

Jimmy0    38

Hi guys, my Galaxy S2 has recently developed an annoying issue of dropping the wifi connection.

Well I say dropping, what is happening is that it still is shown as being connected and full signal, but nothing will load. This can usually be solved by turning the wifi on and off again several times. However it is still intermittent at best.

It is really starting to get annoying because I want to use wifi at home to reduce my mobile data usage, however in its intermittent state it simply isn't possible.

Anyone else encountered this error or know of a fix?

Singh400    184

I don't have a SGSII but have you checked the advanced wireless settings? Make sure it is set not to go to sleep, and pick the best wireless channel as well.

Jimmy0    38

I have indeed set the option for wireless to never sleep.

And I can't get into the router to configure the settings because I don't know the password.

Jimmy0    38

Hi guys, I seem to have fixed the problem now so thought I would update in case anyone else ever have the same problem.

I just set the phone to have a static ip rather than dynamic and that seems to have fixed my connection issues. :)

f1ux    12

What version rom are you using? We're on KG1 2.3.4 now on the XDA forums

Jimmy0    38

Still on 2.3.3... do I have to download this Kies thing onto my PC to update?

+KibosJ    96

I have never had any WiFi even on stock KE3 :/

I have now updated to KG1 2.3.4 and still have no issues, WiFi performance is great.

The only issue I have ever had with WiFi is when I first turn the phone on, it doesn't always connect.... turn WiFi off and back on and it works flawlessly.

This is hands down the best phone I have ever owned :)

I have NEVER been able to get this from a phone:

sc20110714195959.th.png

TheElite    127

II have NEVER been able to get this from a phone:

sc20110714195959.th.png

You've never been able to get 12h+ out of a phone?

+KibosJ    96

You've never been able to get 12h+ out of a phone?

I have, but not a smartphone, with 60% battery STILL remaining.

I have had phones that have lasted me 3 days, but they were rubbish.

and my last phone (HTC Hero) would last me about 12 hours.

I send and receive a lot of texts and the phone would never last very long.

JTaylor69    10

I have never had any WiFi even on stock KE3 :/

I have now updated to KG1 2.3.4 and still have no issues, WiFi performance is great.

The only issue I have ever had with WiFi is when I first turn the phone on, it doesn't always connect.... turn WiFi off and back on and it works flawlessly.

This is hands down the best phone I have ever owned :)

I have NEVER been able to get this from a phone:

sc20110714195959.th.png

Your Android OS usage is a bit high, afaik this is a bug that affects a few phones running 2.3

+KibosJ    96

Your Android OS usage is a bit high, afaik this is a bug that affects a few phones running 2.3

It is a little high I believe but not as high as it was with 2.3.3 :)

12+ hours with 60% left is more than good for me :)

I'm sure that the amazing guys over at XDA will make this even better too :D

Roger H.    780

I think they are saying Android OS bug is preventing your phone from sleeping so you wuold get even more battery life if you got it looked at. My Android OS is NEVER anywhere more than 5% so you should check that asap!

+KibosJ    96

I wish I could, I don't know how to get it any further down.

I don't have many apps installed and no apps that do anything in the background particularly.

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Gmail (All google sync services)

I dunno what else it could be :/

• 2 months later...
jimmyboah    0

Hi guys, my Galaxy S2 has recently developed an annoying issue of dropping the wifi connection.

Well I say dropping, what is happening is that it still is shown as being connected and full signal, but nothing will load. This can usually be solved by turning the wifi on and off again several times. However it is still intermittent at best.

It is really starting to get annoying because I want to use wifi at home to reduce my mobile data usage, however in its intermittent state it simply isn't possible.

Anyone else encountered this error or know of a fix?

I had the same problem with the phone dropping the wifi connection. I then went in to the wifi settings --> advanced and changed sleep åpolicy first from never to "when screen turns off" and then back again to "never" This did the trick on my phone :-)

• 1 month later...
MillionVoltss    63

What length password are people using ?

Open Minded    988

I wish I could, I don't know how to get it any further down.

I don't have many apps installed and no apps that do anything in the background particularly.

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Gmail (All google sync services)

I dunno what else it could be :/

2.3.3 has the "Android OS bug" meaning that you need to update to 2.3.4 (or higher). My Captivate had the same issue with 2.3.3.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055

If you've never been to XDA, I would highly recommend you go read everything you can. There's TONS of custom ROMs for your phone that would fix the OS bug and make your phone much faster than stock.

Be 100% sure you know what you're doing before flashing new firmware.

• 1 month later...
bagditibi78    0

Hi guys!

I had the same problem. The WLAN connection kept dropping, though the phone showed that it is connected. My energy saving policy for WIFI was configured for "never". But it kept dropping the connection. I configured my router to reserve IP address for my phone, so I get always the same IP every time I connect to my home network. So far this looks like solved my problem!

Good luck! :)

Tibor

• 4 weeks later...
BigDaz    0

I have a similar problem. Most of the time I only have 1 bar connectivity. Even when I am sat within a metres of my wifi box I may only achieve 2 bars connectivity, but here?s the problem ? when my galaxy s2 is connected to my wifi I still get the message ?no internet connection? Its only when I turn my phone off and back on again it then connects to the internet! It the runs ok until my phone goes into sleep mode then in will not connect to the internet even though it shows that I have 2 bars connectivity to my wifi.

HELP!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Samsung might expand Galaxy Tab S7's Second screen feature to more Windows PCs
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple debuted a feature in macOS Catalina called Sidecar back in 2019 that let Mac users extend their computer displays to iPads and other touchscreens. This allowed for users to use the secondary touch and stylus enabled displays – like the iPad Pro – as an input device for the Mac, making it easy to run touch-supported apps on devices without support for such input devices.

Now, a new report suggests that Samsung is working to bring a similar feature to its flagship Galaxy Tab S7 tablets. The feature, internally codenamed ‘Sidekick’, aims to let users extend their Windows PC screens to the tablets and enable the S Pen to work as an active stylus for the devices. The feature is expected to also support different pressure levels from the S Pen.

Interestingly, the South Korean giant detailed this very feature – called Second Screen – during the launch of its Galaxy Tab S7 devices. However, at the time, the firm claimed that the feature would work with Samsung PCs and that it will be available later this year. It is not clear if project Sidekick refers to the same feature, or if it is part of an effort to bring support to all Windows PCs.

While the original announcement suggests that the tablets will connect wirelessly to Windows PCs, it is also not known if the capability will extend to support wired connections. This could greatly improve adoption owing to the addition of support for desktop PCs. Many Windows laptops already offer touchscreen and stylus support. Another advantage for PCs is that users can leverage the tablet’s hardware for input while running resource-heavy creative applications on the desktop.

Second screen will be enabled for the Galaxy Tab S7 and Galaxy Tab S7+ via a firmware update “later this year”. It will be interesting to see how the company pegs this offering, and if ‘Sidekick’ happens to be more than what the company has already revealed.

Source: Android Police

• By Abhay V
      The 512GB variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra is $400 off on Amazon
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Samsung’s S Pen housing flagship, the Note20 Ultra was announced back in August at the company’s virtual Unpacked event. The device sports top-of-the-line specs and was launched for an asking price of $1,299, with the higher storage capacity variant costing a whopping $1,449, in the U.S. The Note20 series has seen healthy reception in the U.K. as the company announced that the devices hit a record number of pre-orders in that country.

If you held off on purchasing the device at those rates, you are in luck as it is currently being discounted on Amazon.com. The 512GB storage capacity variant of the phone is off by a massive $400, now costing $1,049. This makes the phone cheaper than the Galaxy S20 Ultra, whilst offering additional features such as the S Pen, a slightly beefier processor – the Snapdragon 865+, and a larger 6.9-inch screen. The display sports a 120Hz refresh rate and supports the updated S Pen with reduced latency.

What’s interesting is that if you opt for the lower-tier model with 128GB of RAM, that will set you back by $1,099, a $200 discount, which happens to be more expensive than the 512GB variant. It is not clear as to how long the deal will last, so interested buyers can head to Amazon here for the top-tier version of the Note20 Ultra for $1,049.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By Abhay V
      Your Phone's ability to run mobile apps on the PC rolling out to all supported phones
      by Abhay Venkatesh

When Samsung took to the stage in August to announce a slew of devices, it also announced the expansion of its partnership with Microsoft. The renewed partnership also saw the firms debut a new Your Phone feature that lets users run Android apps from the phone and pin them to the taskbar directly on the PC. The feature builds on the ability to view a phone’s screen on a Windows 10 device via the app.

While the feature first debuted with the Note20 series, more devices were added to the list soon after. The wider rollout began last month in a staggered manner, and the Redmond firm has now announced that the feature is rolling out to all supported Samsung Galaxy devices. The company adds that it could take up to 48 hours for the change to propagate to all users.

The supported list of devices includes the likes of Galaxy flagships from 2018, such as the Galaxy S9 series all the way to the latest phones, the company’s foldable phones, and a host of A-series devices. You can head to the support page here to view the entire list of phones under the ‘What devices support Apps’ section. Interestingly, though the company doesn’t list the Surface Duo on that page, Microsoft’s dual-screened Android phone is also expected to support all Your Phone features, including Galaxy-specific capabilities like cross-device clipboard sync.

While the ability to run mobile apps on the PC is a nifty addition, the feature still limits the app from running one app at a time, something that is not the case with Samsung’s DeX – which can also be run on the PC with the DeX app. It will be interesting to see what other capabilities make it to Microsoft’s offering thanks to the partnership.

• By Abhay V
      Samsung details its first One UI 3 beta release
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Samsung officially announced the One UI 3 Beta Program last week for developers, letting registered users sign up to receive the first bits of the Android 11-based operating system on the Galaxy S20 line. While the public beta should also be coming soon, the changelog for the first One UI 3 beta release has been shared by users that have received the update.

The changes seem to bring improvements to customization options, such as the ability to use a double-tap gesture on the home screen to lock the device, tailor the call screen look with custom images, and more. There are multiple improvements being made to inbox apps too, including Samsung Keyboard, Internet, Reminders, Contacts, and more. There are enhancements to the Always-On Display (AOD), lock screen widgets, and camera performance.

While the changelog is extensive, there seem to be minor enhancements across the OS being brought to the next major One UI version, rather than major changes. Interestingly, one of the limitations of the beta is that users will be unable to use third party themes.

Here is the complete changelog:

As mentioned earlier, the release is currently only available to registered users on the S20-series. The South Korean company will eventually open the Beta Program to more devices and users, with it being first available in the U.K., the U.S., China, Germany, India, Poland, and South Korea.

Considering that this is the first-ever One UI 3 beta release, there could very well be more changes in subsequent builds. It will be interesting to see what other tweaks the firm makes to the skin, not just for the S20 series, but also for its foldable devices.

Source: Android Police

• By indospot
      Samsung Galaxy Watch3 will be available in titanium on October 2
      by João Carrasqueira

Samsung first introduced the Galaxy Watch3 smartwatch last month, and it promised at the time that it would be the first of its watches to come in a titanium variant. Now, the company has announced availability for the titanium Galaxy Watch3, which will launch on October 2 in the United States.

The titanium model promises to be durable, thanks to MIL-STD-810G certification and water resistant, but also lighter than the default material. The 45mm size option weighs 43 grams for the titanium model, compared to the 53.8 grams of the stainless steel variant. In fact, the 45mm titanium model is lighter than the 41mm option in stainless steel.

Aside from being made of titanium, the new model is just a Galaxy Watch3, with all the features you'd expect, such as blood oxygen monitoring, VO2 max, and other fitness-related features. It has a dual-core Exynos 9110 chipset, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage, and a 1.4-inch round display.

As mentioned above, the Galaxy Watch3 will be available in titanium on October 2, but with a couple of catches. Only the 45mm model is available, and the option for LTE connectivity isn't available, at least at launch. It's also only available in Mystic Black, and it ships with an adjustable metal strap. The titanium model costs $599.99, a significant step up from the $429.99 of the regular 45mm variant.