Samsung Galaxy S2 WiFi Issues

Jimmy0

Hi guys, my Galaxy S2 has recently developed an annoying issue of dropping the wifi connection.

Well I say dropping, what is happening is that it still is shown as being connected and full signal, but nothing will load. This can usually be solved by turning the wifi on and off again several times. However it is still intermittent at best.

It is really starting to get annoying because I want to use wifi at home to reduce my mobile data usage, however in its intermittent state it simply isn't possible.

Anyone else encountered this error or know of a fix?

Singh400

I don't have a SGSII but have you checked the advanced wireless settings? Make sure it is set not to go to sleep, and pick the best wireless channel as well.

Jimmy0

I have indeed set the option for wireless to never sleep.

And I can't get into the router to configure the settings because I don't know the password.

Jimmy0

Hi guys, I seem to have fixed the problem now so thought I would update in case anyone else ever have the same problem.

I just set the phone to have a static ip rather than dynamic and that seems to have fixed my connection issues. :)

f1ux

What version rom are you using? We're on KG1 2.3.4 now on the XDA forums

Jimmy0

Still on 2.3.3... do I have to download this Kies thing onto my PC to update?

+KibosJ

I have never had any WiFi even on stock KE3 :/

I have now updated to KG1 2.3.4 and still have no issues, WiFi performance is great.

The only issue I have ever had with WiFi is when I first turn the phone on, it doesn't always connect.... turn WiFi off and back on and it works flawlessly.

This is hands down the best phone I have ever owned :)

I have NEVER been able to get this from a phone:

sc20110714195959.th.png

TheElite

II have NEVER been able to get this from a phone:

sc20110714195959.th.png

You've never been able to get 12h+ out of a phone?

+KibosJ

You've never been able to get 12h+ out of a phone?

I have, but not a smartphone, with 60% battery STILL remaining.

I have had phones that have lasted me 3 days, but they were rubbish.

and my last phone (HTC Hero) would last me about 12 hours.

I send and receive a lot of texts and the phone would never last very long.

JTaylor69

I have never had any WiFi even on stock KE3 :/

I have now updated to KG1 2.3.4 and still have no issues, WiFi performance is great.

The only issue I have ever had with WiFi is when I first turn the phone on, it doesn't always connect.... turn WiFi off and back on and it works flawlessly.

This is hands down the best phone I have ever owned :)

I have NEVER been able to get this from a phone:

sc20110714195959.th.png

Your Android OS usage is a bit high, afaik this is a bug that affects a few phones running 2.3

+KibosJ

Your Android OS usage is a bit high, afaik this is a bug that affects a few phones running 2.3

It is a little high I believe but not as high as it was with 2.3.3 :)

12+ hours with 60% left is more than good for me :)

I'm sure that the amazing guys over at XDA will make this even better too :D

Roger H.

I think they are saying Android OS bug is preventing your phone from sleeping so you wuold get even more battery life if you got it looked at. My Android OS is NEVER anywhere more than 5% so you should check that asap!

+KibosJ

I wish I could, I don't know how to get it any further down.

I don't have many apps installed and no apps that do anything in the background particularly.

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Gmail (All google sync services)

I dunno what else it could be :/

• 2 months later...
jimmyboah

Hi guys, my Galaxy S2 has recently developed an annoying issue of dropping the wifi connection.

Well I say dropping, what is happening is that it still is shown as being connected and full signal, but nothing will load. This can usually be solved by turning the wifi on and off again several times. However it is still intermittent at best.

It is really starting to get annoying because I want to use wifi at home to reduce my mobile data usage, however in its intermittent state it simply isn't possible.

Anyone else encountered this error or know of a fix?

I had the same problem with the phone dropping the wifi connection. I then went in to the wifi settings --> advanced and changed sleep åpolicy first from never to "when screen turns off" and then back again to "never" This did the trick on my phone :-)

• 1 month later...
MillionVoltss

What length password are people using ?

Open Minded

I wish I could, I don't know how to get it any further down.

I don't have many apps installed and no apps that do anything in the background particularly.

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Gmail (All google sync services)

I dunno what else it could be :/

2.3.3 has the "Android OS bug" meaning that you need to update to 2.3.4 (or higher). My Captivate had the same issue with 2.3.3.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055

If you've never been to XDA, I would highly recommend you go read everything you can. There's TONS of custom ROMs for your phone that would fix the OS bug and make your phone much faster than stock.

Be 100% sure you know what you're doing before flashing new firmware.

• 1 month later...
bagditibi78

Hi guys!

I had the same problem. The WLAN connection kept dropping, though the phone showed that it is connected. My energy saving policy for WIFI was configured for "never". But it kept dropping the connection. I configured my router to reserve IP address for my phone, so I get always the same IP every time I connect to my home network. So far this looks like solved my problem!

Good luck! :)

Tibor

• 4 weeks later...
BigDaz

I have a similar problem. Most of the time I only have 1 bar connectivity. Even when I am sat within a metres of my wifi box I may only achieve 2 bars connectivity, but here?s the problem ? when my galaxy s2 is connected to my wifi I still get the message ?no internet connection? Its only when I turn my phone off and back on again it then connects to the internet! It the runs ok until my phone goes into sleep mode then in will not connect to the internet even though it shows that I have 2 bars connectivity to my wifi.

HELP!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Samsung begins rolling out One UI 2.5 to the Galaxy S9 series
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Samsung debuted One UI 2.5 with the Note20 series, which then made it to other flagships such as the S20 line, the S10 and Note10 series of phones, and even the Note9 just last week. Today, the latest Android 10-based One UI release is reportedly making it to the Galaxy S9 and S9+, which is most likely the last major update for the 2018 flagships.

The list of features making it to the S9 series is not quite different from the Note9, which means that the devices can now let users leverage wireless DeX capabilities. There are also other improvements such as added functionality for the Pro Video mode, options for Single Take recording, and enhancements to some system apps. The update should also add support for Android 10’s gesture navigation system with third-party launchers, which has been a limitation in One UI 2.1.

The rollout has reportedly begun rolling out to users in Germany and is expected to make it to more regions in the next few weeks. You can read about all the new One UI 2.5 features here, but it is to be noted that not all features will be supported on older devices such as shooting 21:9 videos in 8K and the like.

This will most likely be the last of the major updates for the S9 family of phones. Going forward, the company is expected to only release monthly security updates for the next year before moving to a quarterly update schedule.

Source: SamMobile

• By eRajesh
      Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra renders leak, show massive rear camera bump
      by Rajesh Pandey

Hours after the Galaxy S21 renders made their way to the internet, leaker @OnLeaks has now posted the renders of the Galaxy S21 Ultra as well.

Unlike the Galaxy S21, the Ultra model will feature a curved display. From the renders, it looks like the Galaxy S21 Ultra will feature a display size that will measure between 6.7-inch to 6.9-inches. The device is estimated to measure in at 165.1 x 75.6 x 8.9mm.

Living up to its name, the Galaxy S21 Ultra will feature a massive camera hump at the rear. The design of the camera module is very unique as it seems to extend from the metallic chassis itself. As per Onleaks, the Galaxy S21 Ultra's camera bump will be twice the size of the regular S21. It will also feature four camera sensor along with an LED flash. There's no information on the camera setup, though it is rumored the Ultra could ship with two periscope camera setups.

Contrary to other rumors, Onleaks also confirmed that the Galaxy S21 Ultra will not have S-Pen support as it does not have any dedicated slot at its bottom for it, though there's always a possibility of software support being present. Lastly, Onleaks suggest Samsung will announce the Galaxy S21 series in January in 2021, a month ahead of its usual launch timeframe for its flagship Galaxy phone.

Source: Voice

• By Usman Khan Lodhi
      Samsung Galaxy S21 leaked renders reveal new camera setup and more
      by Usman Khan Lodhi

As we get closer to the official announcement of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S21, the leaks are starting to pick up. The leaked renders, courtesy of leaker @OnLeaks, showcase how the phone might look like when it is released next year. Since the information isn't official, it is possible that the actual phone may look different, however, this sheds some light as to what to expect when the phone officially arrives early next year.

Steve HmMcFly, the name behind @OnLeaks, noted that the phone's unique rear camera housing design makes it different from its predecessors, as it extends from the metal frame of the device. All three cameras have been placed vertically on top of each other, with the flash added right next to the housing, similar to what Samsung did with the Galaxy Note10 series.

The device should boast a flat 6.2-inch display and have a punch-hole at the center of the screen to house the selfie camera. It should measure up at roughly 151.7mm x 71.2mm x 7.9mm. The camera bump at the back is estimated to add 1.1mm of additional thickness.

Rumors indicate that the phone will be unveiled in January 2021, and Samsung is working on three different variants of the Galaxy S21.

Source: Voice

• By eRajesh
      5 iPhone 12 features that Android smartphones should copy
      by Rajesh Pandey

Love it, hate it, or even if you are completely ignorant of its existence, there's no denying the fact that a new iPhone release affects the entire smartphone industry. The features adopted or discarded by iPhones have shaped future smartphones from Android OEMs as well. For example, it was Apple that led the charge of the demise of the headphone jack and it was due to AirPods that truly wireless earbuds have become so popular.

With the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro series, Apple has again introduced a bunch of new features that Android OEMs are bound to adopt in the coming years. Below are some such iPhone 12 features that I hope Android OEMs end up copying for their future smartphones.

MagSafe

With MagSafe, Apple is going to revolutionize smartphone accessories forever. By using magnets at the rear of the iPhone and engineering magic, Apple is allowing compatible cases and chargers to automatically snap on at the back of the device. This opens the door to a lot of other accessories in the future as well that can attach themselves to the rear of the iPhone using magnets.

What's even more impressive is that MagSafe allows for stacking of accessories. So, you can have a MagSafe case on your iPhone and then snap on a MagSafe wallet on top of it as well.

MagSafe also solves one of the biggest issues with wireless charging: placement and alignment. Right now, it is important that one places their phone carefully on a wireless charger to ensure the charging coils align perfectly as the charging process won't start otherwise. Android OEMs have debuted faster wireless charging speeds on their devices but none of them have solved this alignment problem which leads to frustrating user experience in many ways. Apple is solving that with MagSafe as compatible wireless chargers will be able to automatically snap on the rear of the device and align themselves.

Mini flagship

Android smartphones come in varying shapes and sizes, but it is Apple that offers the right mix of display sizes with the iPhone 12 lineup. As the company rightly said during the launch event, the iPhone 12 mini is the world's smallest and lightest 5G smartphone.

There's no other 5G smartphone in the market that's as small as the iPhone 12 mini which packs a 5.4-inch display. Forget 5G, there's no flagship 4G Android smartphone with a display size of less than 6-inches. Whatever devices are there, they all come with small batteries, use a slightly slower chipset than their 'Plus' or 'Pro' variant, and have an inferior camera setup.

Heck, forget the iPhone 12 mini, there's no Android flagship as feature-packed as even the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro. For 2021, I can only hope that Android OEMs cater to the market for a compact flagship that has a display size of 6-inches and less because there's clearly consumer interest in them.

Dolby Vision HDR recording

A lot of Android flagships released this year boasted about being able to record videos in 8K, though the quality and implementation left a lot to be desired. The iPhone 12 lineup despite coming with the powerful A14 Bionic chip cannot record videos in 8K, but it can do something that's even better. It is the first smartphone in the world that can record videos in Dolby Vision HDR and that too in 4K resolution at 60fps. What's even better is that one can also edit the recorded video right on the phone. As if this was not enough, one can also record videos in Dolby Vision HDR from the front camera.

iPhones were already far ahead of every other Android smartphone in the market in the video recording department and with this new addition, the gap has only increased. Surprisingly, Qualcomm's flagship Snapdragon 865 chipset does support Dolby Vision HDR recording, but no Android OEM has implemented it yet. Perhaps, Samsung and other flagship Android OEMs will up their game in 2021.

Sensor-shift stabilization

This is a feature that's exclusive to the iPhone 12 Pro Max but one that's still worth noting. Android smartphones have shipped with bigger and higher-resolution camera sensor this year that's accompanied with OIS. With the iPhone 12 Pro Max though, Apple is using sensor-shift image stabilization for the primary 12MP camera sensor to deliver a higher level of stabilization.

This technology is usually found in mirrorless cameras and in this, the camera sensor is moved around to counteract any movement. So how good is this sensor-shift stabilization? Well, as per Apple, this allows for up to 2 seconds of handheld exposure shots which allows the camera to take in a full stop worth of light.

Smart Data mode

The iPhone 12 is not the first to the market with 5G. The problem with 5G is that while it promises gigabit+ download speeds and lower latency, that's going to be possible only in the future. Right now, coverage of 5G networks is spotty and their modem inefficient. They greatly increase a phone's power usage requirements thereby having an impact on its battery life. To bypass this problem, the iPhone 12 series features Smart Data mode that allows the device to switch between 4G and 5G networks depending on the application being used. This means when not required, the device falls back to 4G networks to save on battery power.

There are many 5G Android smartphones available in the market but none of them have a similar feature to save on battery life. No wonder then that all 5G Android devices are notorious for poor battery life.

What are some other iPhone 12 features that you would like to see on future Android devices? Drop a comment and let us know!

• By Jay Bonggolto
      You can now purchase Samsung's Galaxy Fit2 and Wireless Charger Pad Trio
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung today released the Galaxy Fit2 fitness band and its new wireless charger called Wireless Charger Pad Trio for sale. The devices were introduced in September along with the Galaxy A42 5G.

The Galaxy Fit2 packs some upgrades from its predecessor, the Galaxy Fit, such as a bigger AMOLED display at 1.1 inches, although it has no physical button in favor of a virtual one. Samsung also claims the fitness band has a longer battery life that can last for 15 days on a single charge and up to 21 days depending on your settings.

The band can track your daily steps, calories burned, calories remaining for the day, water intake, and sleep patterns. It can also display notifications for incoming calls or texts and lets you send preset replies, among other capabilities. The Galaxy Fit2 is up for grabs for $59.99 through Samsung's online storefront, available in black and red. The band is set to begin shipping on October 19.

As for the wireless charger pad, Samsung is selling it for $89.99. The Wireless Charger Pad Trio can juice up a Samsung smartphone, Galaxy Buds, and Galaxy Watch, all at the same time. Since it supports Qi wireless charging, it can also charge other smartphone brands. It ships with a USB-C port and comes in black and white color options.