Is WP7 UI really more efficient then iOS/Android?

It seems that it requires more swipes to get to an app because of limited real estate compared to iOS/Android where you can fit 20 icons(including the dock). I fail to see how the hub approach makes accomplishing a task easier. It's nice eye candy, but it doesn't seem like it's user friendly.

AS with anything, it is all relative.

For WP 7 it is focused around people so it is quicker to grab information about people and relationships.

AS with anything, it is all relative.

For WP 7 it is focused around people so it is quicker to grab information about people and relationships.

So basically WP7 is a social networking OS rather then a fully functional phone OS.

My two and a half year old daughter can easily locate: games and get to her favorite ones, pictures, profiles of her aunt and friends of ours she likes (so she can see their picture), and on my wife's phone she can get to her grocery list (which is a onenote document) when we ask her to.

So... I'd say yes.

I'm definitely a fan of Android's UI layout - I can place my icons and widgets on whatever homescreen I desire, and make information easily available. Very easy and customizable. My favorite launchers are Sense and Launcher Pro (although ADW is pretty awesome too).

I do like WP7's metro UI - if more applications took advantage of live tiles, it would be an equivalent to Android's widget system. You can place your most common apps as tiles, and the rest of the apps, you can browse through the long list.

I hate IOS - which just places icons on the home screen for every app you download - granted just recently they add folder support. I still hate this scheme because I don't want all icons on the homescreen, it's a waste of space. Just why I hate Miui for Android.

It's annecdotal, but my wife really picked it up and ran with it so I'd say it's really easy for non-tech savy people to learn. I can't comment on how it compares with other platforms as it's my first smartphone. However, originally the ads for windows phone touted how fast you can get stuff done with them while comparing them to it's competitors.

I know that it's on WMPoweruser but:

http://wmpoweruser.com/real-life-windows-phone-7-vs-iphone-4-speed-test/

It's annecdotal, but my wife really picked it up and ran with it so I'd say it's really easy for non-tech savy people to learn. I can't comment on how it compares with other platforms as it's my first smartphone. However, originally the ads for windows phone touted how fast you can get stuff done with them while comparing them to it's competitors.

I know that it's on WMPoweruser but:

http://wmpoweruser.com/real-life-windows-phone-7-vs-iphone-4-speed-test/

Sorry but that silly ad doesn't convince me. It's just silly and unprofessional. Compare that to Apple's ads which are so emotional and make people cry. Like the FaceTime ones.

Sorry but that silly ad doesn't convince me. It's just silly and unprofessional. Compare that to Apple's ads which are so emotional and make people cry. Like the FaceTime ones.

Then go to a store and try it out yourself?

EDIT://

The link isn't to one of the ads but to a youtube video comparing a couple basic tasks on the iOS and WP platforms. It's not an ad made by microsoft.

Speaking as someone who has only used iOS and Android, but has watched a few videos of WP7, I think it looks straightforward enough to adapt to. Given 20 minutes I reckon I would be able to use the OS with no issues. I'm not sure if it could replace Android as my mobile operating system of choice (I like how much can be done with it even though I haven't got around to trying half of it), and I appreciate the fact Google are quite open about letting people do things with it. iOS is nice but I find Android to be the OS I lean more towards. No doubt I'm biased because I've been able to use it for much longer than I have been able to use iOS - I don't own an iPhone or an iPod Touch, meaning I cannot sit down and compare the two easily.

Most people would use a smartphone for making calls, email, social networking and apps. Whichever OS allows you to perform those functions with less swipes/touches wins.

Generally speaking, most people don't cram icons all over their Android homescreens, so the argument that Android gives you the freedom to access apps more quickly is pretty weak. In reality, even after two years of using Android, I prefer my primary home screen to be fairly empty and more about information than applications (time, weather, battery, notifications, calendar--stuff I can glance at, not stuff I'd necessarily tap). In that sense, live tiles actually make a lot of sense. The first thing most users--even power users--want to see when turning on their screen isn't a shortcut to Angry Birds. Anyone can visit any homescreen screenshots thread on XDA/PPCgeeks and see even the deified hacking community prioritizing enormous battery meters over frequently used applications--and these are the people developing the very homescreen apps praised for being more functional than alternatives.

Not that they aren't. You can take my Go Launcher EX from my cold, dead hands.

But arguing that an extra tap or an extra swipe is somehow a reduction in efficiency stinks of fanboyism and using obscure and unlikely scenarios as examples of superiority. ANYBODY can come up with a scenario where any platform ever written is superior. DOS 20 years ago may have been the most efficient OS ever written at changing which partition you're accessing at the moment (letter + : + return = three keystrokes, max), but who cares? All that matters is what 99% of users are more likely to do, and arguing that the desires or habits of 1% of users constitutes the importance of 'choice' is absolutely absurd, and the day 1% of users has sway over the direction of the market is the day technology falls into the dark ages.

Ultimately, it's about how you use your handset that defines how efficient it is, since many people prioritize different functions. If you primarily use your smartphone for taking pictures, social networking, messaging, and keeping up with schedules and dynamic information, WP7 is perhaps more efficient than Android/iOS. That doesn't make it any less of a smart phone, since the reality is, smartphones are nothing more THAN social/schedule/app devices, and all three platforms today are equally capable. If the freedom to hack and unlock is part of your definition of a smartphone, then I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The freedom to modify is not a part of the smartphone model any more than the freedom to change out components is part of the PC model (or else laptops wouldn't be considered personal computers). It's necessary to remember that people were calling Android a smartphone OS long before it had a Market, back in the early days when it was a horrific piece of crap--but what's new? iOS was a piece of crap when it first launched as well, and the vast majority of raving reviews focused entirely on mobile safari, and despite lacking basic functionalities like MMS, was hailed as the rebirth of the smartphone.

Wasting time on painfully useless semantics may be a great way to make yourself feel like you're making a point on the internet, but lacking perspective, the only people who'll ever agree are people who already do, and without the power to change minds, the love of arguing is nothing but douchebaggery.

This has to be one of the best posts I've seen on the internet. Plus one to you good sir.

Most people would use a smartphone for making calls, email, social networking and apps. Whichever OS allows you to perform those functions with less swipes/touches wins.

Can't you do all of this with pretty much one or two taps/swipes on any of the platforms?

It seems that it requires more swipes to get to an app because of limited real estate compared to iOS/Android where you can fit 20 icons(including the dock). I fail to see how the hub approach makes accomplishing a task easier. It's nice eye candy, but it doesn't seem like it's user friendly.

You have to understand that these tiles are dynamic, not just big blocks. They actually show information.

With Mango tiles enhancement control, more developers will be able to take further advantage of live tiles.

As an Android fan that has used all three, it really does come down to a matter of taste.

With iOS you have limited ways to adjust your screens, and no widgets.

With Android you can have widgets or icons or both up to you

WP7 seems like it's all widgets essentially and no real icons

Could get used to any of the three, IF I had to give up Android, WP7 would be "my" logical second choice.

WP7 is a lot more efficient. I've never owned a windows phone before my Omnia 7 but I had a iPhone2G and then a Samsung Galaxy S so I've used the main three other than Blackberry, I also have a first gen itouch.

The iphone well the UI is responsive and good but everything is basically an app and it feels that way. Every app you download adds an icon.

Android you can customize a lot, it's a bit better than the iphone technically but 2.2 the animations aren't as nice. It just doesn't feel as polished as the iphones, I've not used 2.3.

WP7, the live tiles are great I can't wait for more live support. They are easy to press and move around. The animations are great, the only complaint I have is that some app tiles don't look nice but they are improving. With the list of all the apps etc when you swipe to the right, I wish you could have folders to group some apps together.

Try it, then talk about it. ;)

So basically WP7 is a social networking OS rather then a fully functional phone OS.

Uh, no. It's an actual fully functional phone OS. With integrated social networking features.

Try it, then talk about it. ;)

Got a Focus. Love it. Compared the the iPhone I had for two years, it's more user friendly.

IMO.

I just think that the UI is not finished yet. I think the ability to create user-hubs is essential. F.e., I'd want to create a "Video" hub where I'd put Netflix/Hulu and other video streaming service under.

I just think that the UI is not finished yet. I think the ability to create user-hubs is essential. F.e., I'd want to create a "Video" hub where I'd put Netflix/Hulu and other video streaming service under.

Does your thread actually have a point other than your usual trolling?

How can you comment on WP7 if you've never actually used the damn thing.

• Like 1

Does your thread actually have a point other than your usual trolling?

How can you comment on WP7 if you've never actually used the damn thing.

I've watched a lot of demos and read quite a bit about it. Nothing seems to indicate the ability to create folders for better organization. So how would I group my video streaming apps?

Ok http://www.mylivetile.com/ is a means of visual organization of the tiles, but not folders.

dude, what's the point of this thread?

you know what beats ALL the smartphones in primary functionality? a dumb phone. no swipes, no clicks, you can make a phone call immediately.

get yourself one and go away troll.

I've watched a lot of demos and read quite a bit about it. Nothing seems to indicate the ability to create folders for better organization. So how would I group my video streaming apps?

In that case, there's no way I'll be able to explain this to you. It's like trying explaining to you how to care for a horse when you've never actually touch a horse in your life.

Also, Slacker, Dailymotion, Youtube, LazyTube ... whatever streaming apps can hook themselves directly into the Music + Video Hub.

• Like 1

It is all about user preferences over the others. I personally like both WP7 and Android. Each has its own merits. And why are you complaining about some extra swipes ? Jeez, do people in America not exercise anymore ?

I saw a few shots of a Mango handset a MS rep had, with the updated live tile system, and it's crazy how dynamic his start screen was. Lots of things in motion and updating with info without him even doing anything. Hell right now on the default 7.0 I often just unlock the phone, check out if I have some updates like to FB (now that it has a live tile), twitter, and check out the weather etc, without doing anything else.

It's really about what info you want to see quick and that's what you pin to the screen, to that extent it's like widgets yet I bet, specially in mango, that you can get more info on that single screen of life tiles compared to Androids 5 or so home screens. Lets face it, gadgets/widgets, depending on what they do, can take up quite some space. Not that that's wrong, if you like it fine.

• Like 2