iPhoto '11 9.1.5

I don't think I needed to be logged in originally.

No that's correct. In general when not logged in the App Store will show updates of applications you downloaded/installed through other means. However that won't do you any good, since you need to be logged in to download anything. Once you log in the updates will disappear because they've not been downloaded through the account.

In the end it doesn't matter since you won't be able to download them through the App Store anyway until you repurchase them through it.

Well, at least in the future I'll be able to get iLife and iWork '12, '13, whatever they decide to call it, through the App Store.

And iPhoto does look quite a bit better on Lion.

A lot of interface bugs though:

- For some reason the sidebar icon for my iPod in iPhoto only shows when it's selected, otherwise the icon space is blank

- All other iLife applications still use Mac OS X Snow Leopard window gradients on Lion

- Garageband still uses Mac OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard window control buttons on Lion

- iMovie still uses old style scroll bars on Lion

Just to name a few. I'm guessing Apple's quality control department is away for the summer.

I have never bought anything through the App Store and I was given the update

I have never bought anything through the App Store and I was given the update

As said before: The update has since appeared for all users.

Just to name a few. I'm guessing Apple's quality control department is away for the summer.

Haha ! This is such an hilarious comment :-P

And such a nice way to describe the actual situation unfortunately?

I know it does, but the quality control (i.e. the fit and finish) just seem to be lacking more than ever now. From things that seem really underdeveloped, like Launchpad, to obvious UI inconsistencies as demonstrated with this particular release of iPhoto. I just don't think Apple is being as careful as they used to be when it comes to (relatively minor) things about OS X.

True. Can't but agree to that. Then again Mac OS X probably hasn't been ever this consistent so maybe our standards are just at an all time high as well. :)

What I find most odd is how Lion finally updated various widgets and chrome that hadn't been touched for years (progress indicators, radio buttons, scroll bars, etc.), yet all the while other elements of the UI were either forgotten about or just unchanged.

yet all the while other elements of the UI were either forgotten about or just unchanged.

Not sure what you're talking about. Just about every single Aqua element has been updated or replaced.