Netflix officially separates DVD, streaming pricing

do you have a link, i stream movies from Xbox often, and would be verry interested in this.

Nothing's been officially announced yet, so no link. There have been plenty of rumors on it (The Daily, cited by Engadget, WinRumors, etc) that seem pretty solid.

Nothing's been officially announced yet, so no link. There have been plenty of rumors on it (The Daily, cited by Engadget, WinRumors, etc) that seem pretty solid.

Oh it's official. Email I just received.

Dear xxxxx,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month

Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

?The Netflix Team

It's pretty obvious why they are doing this. They're definitely trying to weed out dvd rentals all together. I'm guessing the subscribers they lose will be a wash with how much the dvd shipping costs.

If they really wish to weed out DVD rentals, then they better get newer movies streamed faster versus how they're available as DVD/Blu-Rays first.

I agree. Many may not agree with me but I think this will just encourage more people to download through various services available. ahem

I am thinking this has more to do with Studios wanting more money from Netflix. I mean c'mon, unlimited movies for $8/month (quality asside) doesn't leave much after Netflix takes their cut to pay the studios and their own bills and salaries and even have a little profit. Think about it, Apple charges 1.99 per movie so studios get even 60 cents per movie (say apple was taking 70%) which could be say $6/month for a average of 10 movies/month. I doubt Netflix is paying them $6/month or even $1/month from every $8 that they make!

There's being cheap then there's being frugal! Your cable TV bill is gonna cost you $40/month, you are still coming out on top if you are only paying $15/month. It's like you sell something for $1 people want it for 50 cents, sell it for 1 cent they want it for free!

WTF? Everything has been going up as of late, but we're not getting any raises to adjust for it. Every year I have to hear "it's not in the budget this year" but yet stuff like this keeps going up. The rich keep getting richer.

Just like SHoTTa35 said, Netflix has probably become so popular to where the Studios are the ones causing the increase. Can you imagine if somebody wants to see 10-15 movies, and if they have no life, they can watch all 10-15 in a month for only $8 (which only 4 or so goes to them?)! Yeah the Studios are fine with that.

Edit: I was just thinking, does Netflix have a limit? Or can the person I mentioned above get 10-15 DVDs a month?

Edit: I was just thinking, does Netflix have a limit? Or can the person I mentioned above get 10-15 DVDs a month?

I called once and asked that question. The nice woman on the phone said "oh no, send them back as fast as you can watch them." I remember if you tried that with Blockbuster they would actually delay the shipping.

Even with the hike I'm still getting more than my money's worth of entertainment. Instant Viewing is constant in this house. I hope my ISP never imposes a data cap.

WTF? Everything has been going up as of late, but we're not getting any raises to adjust for it. Every year I have to hear "it's not in the budget this year" but yet stuff like this keeps going up. The rich keep getting richer.

It's a good thing you don't have to have Netflix then huh?

I called once and asked that question. The nice woman on the phone said "oh no, send them back as fast as you can watch them." I remember if you tried that with Blockbuster they would actually delay the shipping.

NetFlix too... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix#.22Throttling.22

It's one thing to raise prices and offer better content. But, they're just raising prices because of licensing fees, which is expected, I guess. I wish they could offer more content on the streaming at the same price previously. That's too much to ask for :laugh:

It's one thing to raise prices and offer better content. But, they're just raising prices because of licensing fees, which is expected, I guess. I wish they could offer more content on the streaming at the same price previously. That's too much to ask for :laugh:

Studios aren't playing ball with Netflix anymore.

Look if you aren't hung up on having to watch the newest releases all the time, there is a wealth of great movies and shows on steaming. You just have to expand your horizons.

Look if you aren't hung up on having to watch the newest releases all the time, there is a wealth of great movies and shows on steaming. You just have to expand your horizons.

I've seen the overwhelming majority of streaming movies I want to see, and there are very few (even relatively) new releases on Watch Instantly.

i suspect in September I am going to have to start paying for netflix as my parents do not use the streaming part of their contract.

I've seen the overwhelming majority of streaming movies I want to see, and there are very few (even relatively) new releases on Watch Instantly.

Hell at a certain point I see myself running out of older shows to watch and might suspend the account for a while. I've just signed up to Hulu+ which has the entire Criterion Collection. That would last me a good 18 months alone.

i suspect in September I am going to have to start paying for netflix as my parents do not use the streaming part of their contract.

Welcome to adult responsibility!

I was only ever gonna get the streaming only plan anyways so taht's all good for me. I don't even have a DVD/BD player anymore.

I have a Blu-Ray player, but other than some older movies I already own, I only ever use it for watching files from my flash drive (it plays MKV files beautifully) or streaming Netflix (which is built in).

I'll be canceling my netflix as well. When I first signed up for netflix in May 07, I paid $16 for 3 at a time and 16 hours of instant view a month, then they changed that to unlimited. Then they increased prices so I reduced my plan to 2 at a time for the same I was paying before. And with this final change I'll have to pay $20 to get less than what I was getting before. No thanks Netflix.

P.S. Amazon Prime members get free unlimited streaming. You can get amazon prime for free with a valid college email. I haven't checked out what kind of selection Prime has but free is better than whatever the hell Netflix wants to charge now.

I'll be canceling my netflix as well. When I first signed up for netflix in May 07, I paid $16 for 3 at a time and 16 hours of instant view a month, then they changed that to unlimited. Then they increased prices so I reduced my plan to 2 at a time for the same I was paying before. And with this final change I'll have to pay $20 to get less than what I was getting before. No thanks Netflix.

P.S. Amazon Prime members get free unlimited streaming. You can get amazon prime for free with a valid college email. I haven't checked out what kind of selection Prime has but free is better than whatever the hell Netflix wants to charge now.

Prime isn't free - it costs $79/year. If you're like me and buy most of your household goods on Amazon then the streaming library is a nice bonus.