Is it worth upgrading from vista to windows 7?

Hi Guys,

As the title says; is it worth upgrading from vista to windows 7?

Obviously there are many websites with information that claim to be impartial but i thought i'd try and get some down-to-earth honest views and advice as to whether to go out and purchase the upgrade of windows 7.

I currently run vista home premium and like the look / idea of running windows 7. Plus i've been having a few problems lately with vista freezing / locking up all the time completely and requiring a power off by the button.

My computer spec is:

Acer Desktop

Windows Vista home premium 32bit sp2

amd phenom 9550 quad core processor 2.20 ghz

4.0gb ram

nvidia geforce 8600 gt

Will this be enough to run windows 7 smoothly as it runs vista now

Thanks guys

The specs are enough to run Windows 7, but if Windows 8 sticks to it's release date of autumn 2012 then it may be worth waiting. That would be my view at least, the problems with Vista can be sorted to get you through the next year.

Yes definitely, I would recommend 64 bit Windows 7 SP1 as you have 4GB RAM, 32bit can not make use of the full 4GB

To put it simply, if I was forced to remove 7 and go back to Vista, I would turn off my PC and never turn it back on, there is THAT much of a difference IMO

If you already have a copy of 7 to install I would suggest doing a fresh install. If not and you are wondering about purchasing you may as well wait for 8

If you already have a copy of 7 to install I would suggest doing a fresh install. If not and you are wondering about purchasing you may as well wait for 8

Windows 8 won't be released for another year.

OP: The answer is a clear yes. Upgrading to 7 is pretty much a no-brainer if you ask me. The performance increase and the UI improvements alone make it worth it.

Ur system will run Windows 7 better than it does Vista. And will run Windows 8 even better.

If money isnt a problem upgrade and ull love it!..

but if it is then just wait for Windows 8... Feature wise there aint much of a difference. But yes Windows 7 is worth upgrading to. Also, dont UPGRADE. do a clean install.

Windows 8 won't be released for another year.

While there is the possibility of it being a year away (and I'm inclined to side with that estimation over the following) some are saying that it could be as early as late 2011. Regardless though, he is asking about upgrading because his Vista has started to act up. I think it would be a wiser move to save his money and fix the problems that he is having with Vista rather than pay for Windows 7 now when he may want to think about buying Windows 8 sometime within the next year.

Although Zain Adeel makes a fair point: if money isn't a problem for you, you may as well buy Windows 7 and then buy Windows 8 when it comes out.

I would say update to 7 since we just don't know much about how 8 will run on "older" machines, and Windows 8 may will be another "vista" fiasco....

*facepalm*

8 has the same requirement as windows 7

basically if has PC run Vista well ,it well run Windows 8 as well

It's not only worth upgrading to Windows 7, it would be worth downgrading to XP for a year, if you want to wait for Windows 8!! I know I'll get a lot of slack for saying that, but Vista just flat out stinks, IMO.

Windows 7 is EASILY the best Windows OS to date and your system will run much better with it than it does Vista.

It's not only worth upgrading to Windows 7, it would be worth downgrading to XP for a year, if you want to wait for Windows 8!! I know I'll get a lot of slack flak for saying that, but Vista just flat out stinks, IMO.

Windows 7 is EASILY the best Windows OS to date and your system will run much better with it than it does Vista.

FTFY. ;)

I wouldn't downgrade to XP if you have Vista.

I think it is worth it to upgrade to 7 (but a fresh install as always). It does run faster on machines then vista does. Heck I would upgrade alone to be able to preview apps that are open on the task bar. I do that all the time.

I['ve been running Vista for some time now and I've used Win7 and to be honest I don't see a need to upgrade. Your freezing problem could be just a bunch of junk, virus or hardware problem that Win7 cannot fix anyway. Or if you do upgrade you may run into the same problem. I would wait until 8 comes out.

thanks for the comments guys, some good info and advice

i think i may well be on my way to ordering windows 7 then, especially if it'll run better on the system i have than vista does, i am looking on amazon for the best price at the minute

32 bit or 64 bit? i've always used 32bit so wondering what's the difference and will it be as compatible with all of my current software to go 64bit or is that a whole new ball game?

if you have the money lying around ... yes.

But the freezing problems sound more like a hardware problem than vista related.

Btw: unless you have a 32 bit processor always go for 64 bit.

If you were using XP, there would have been no doubt that you HAD TO upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as possible. But since you are on Vista -- which is a great great operating system -- and the fact that Windows 8 beta is just 2 months away, I would advise to stick with Vista for the moment. Then install Windows 8 beta in September, RC in January 2012 and RTM somewhere around May/June.

thanks for the comments guys, some good info and advice

i think i may well be on my way to ordering windows 7 then, especially if it'll run better on the system i have than vista does, i am looking on amazon for the best price at the minute

32 bit or 64 bit? i've always used 32bit so wondering what's the difference and will it be as compatible with all of my current software to go 64bit or is that a whole new ball game?

Get 64 Bit. It won't be a WHOLE new game...

what's the difference

Your system will see a immeasurable speed increase, that you'll be thinking "Why didn't I do this earlier?"

There are NO UI changes, this means that it will look as every Windows 7 as out there.

You'll be able to use the 4GB memory that your system wasn't using before.

Your processor will be able to unlock it's maximum potential.

Applications are going to run far way smoother and better than it was before. The same applications are going to work on your OS so not worries. There may be several exceptions such as iTunes which you will need to download the 64 bit version to run it (yes, it can be acquired directly from Apple's website or http://filehippo.com) ....

will it be as compatible with all of my current software to go 64bit

More than 90% software which you have must run perfectly on the 64 bit (except for 16 bit applications, which you don't see nowadays) OS, except if those applications are designed to run only in 32 Bit environments (which are very few).

In conclusion:

It will be the best thing you could do: It will run faster, smoother, and almost every application you have will be compatible. So why don't get it?

Well it worths the upgrade, but if you feel that Vista is running okay on your computer, it would be a good idea to wait for Windows 8, which is going to have the same requirements as Windows Vista and 7

I can't strongly enough suggest an upgrade to Windows 7, Windows Vista has been Microsoft's biggest fail since the dark days of Windows ME.

The ridiculous demands it places on the system are horrible and always cause's a good system to run badly. As I noticed someone saying earlier in the post, backup and perform a clean installation, don't go down the route of an upgrade as it always ends in avoidable problems.

Go for it, you wont regret the upgrade. :)

I think it is worth the upgrade. I use Windows Vista at work and my new computer at home has Windows 7. I prefer 7, it has a nicer look and a nicer feel to the experience.