Spelling mistakes 'cost millions' in lost on-line sales

Mr Duncombe says when recruiting staff he has been "shocked at the poor quality of written English".

I can vouch for this. Trying to find any staff who can write letters and emails to clients without making a dozen embarrassing grammar and spelling mistakes is almost impossible. I don't know what kids are learning in school, but it sure as hell isn't what I learned. Maybe they're picking up valuable social skills - like how to text and talk at the same time - instead of learning the fundamentals of the language?

Even more reason for the grammar Nazi's to come out and contribute more. I tend to correct people as well, which people take offense to.

I may correct people, but I'm not perfect by any means, so when someone corrects my typing, I reply with a 'Thank You'. I genuinely express my gratitude because hopefully it will keep me from making the same mistake in the future. :)

If people are at the point where they can't tell the difference between "to" and "too", "you're" and "your", or "there" and "their" or "they're", then I don't think correcting them is going to teach them much. These sort of things need to learned in school over a period of time, not corrected on a case-by-case basis on a forum.

Also, as you've just said, you'll simply get abused if you try to correct grammar or spelling on a forum. Nothing worse than fixing someone's horrendous English only to have them say "omg your retarted" back to you!

Unfortunately I don't have the option to boycott them because they have a bit of a monopoly in the legitimate Australian passport market :laugh:

LOL

I honestly have no idea how people still manage to fail to spell correctly when all usable word processors and browsers feature a spell-checker and corrector.

I'd just like to take a moment to laugh at all the little forum tards that like to say, "Well excuse my bad grammar, I didn't know I was in english class!"

People take that attitude all throughout the web, and it winds up costing them.

So many retards from the UK type like complete twats... How many times have we seen the chavs type "there" for "their" or "should of" instead of "should have"? :whistle:

Unfortunately it isn't just the twats that type this. A certain high posting MVC does did this on a regular basis.laugh.gif