_Steam_ - Refuse and Resist...

z3r0n3

Steam question:

i just started playing 1.6 today, worked ok. i leave for awhile, come back, and every server i try and join i get this message "Counter-Strike will use 350MB on disk. Steam will now aquire (download) all of the required content." and i click install, but nothing happens. every time! also, when i check the monitor, it says there's no updates. what's wrong?

kryptonik

Steam does suck, I agree. I think it's unnecessary and needs to be dealed with. However, it won't stop me from playing Half-Life 2.

Is Steam supposed to be a way to get rid of hacking?

threetonesun
Why? Why bother changing the system at all? What did they accomplish? Absolutely nothing. And there are plenty of people on 56K modems that would still like to play Half-Life, they bought the game thinking they would get to, now they can't.

Yeah, why do we ever change things. Let's all go play Doom. And most of those people who bought Half Life and had 56k bought it 5 years ago. I'm sure most gamers aren't sitting on dial-up, and if they are, there connection sucked when Half Life started and still sucks now.

OPaul
Yeah, why do we ever change things. Let's all go play Doom. And most of those people who bought Half Life and had 56k bought it 5 years ago. I'm sure most gamers aren't sitting on dial-up, and if they are, there connection sucked when Half Life started and still sucks now.

Your missing the point, Steam accomplishes nothing. There is no use for it, there is no advantage. It causes more problems then it will ever fix. There was nothing wrong with WON, it did what it was supposed to do.

threetonesun
Your missing the point, Steam accomplishes nothing. There is no use for it, there is no advantage. It causes more problems then it will ever fix. There was nothing wrong with WON, it did what it was supposed to do.

Let's see, I used to play Counter-Strike a long time ago. I bought the Half Life game of the year edition. Every time I installed it I had to a) download the patches for Half Life (about 100 megs), and then b) Download the CS release (about, what was it, 150 megs?). Everytime a patch came out, I got to download that too. And, since this was a long time ago (3, 4 years now?) I was on 56k.

I downloaded Steam (the beta), and got Half-Life and CS in about 20 minutes over my cable connection. I didn't have to install any patches, never had a problem connecting to a server, and never ran into any graphical or setup problems.

Basically, Steam does a much better job of streamlining content for it's games granted a) you have a fast connection and b) the Steam service works. Now, even if you didn't have a fast connection, you'd still have to wait to get updates off the internet. Now you can install full games online too, and get the patches automatically. Steam, in beta, worked without any problems. In all of, what, a week tops, it will work again in final. Valve used its old product to test out a system of delivery for its new product and for many people, it works fine, and even better, than CD installs and patches all over the place.

Also, if you don't like it, go check this out https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=101125

Dan.Varga

ive been using steam since the 1st beta of steam and ive liked it and have not run into one problem so far

scoult01

OPaul: What is the point of designing software for computers that are 5 years old.. Its time for a change, deal with it and shut up. If you cant afford to upgrade your PC to a semi-decent machine (AMD 2100+, GF4, 256mb DDR ram), then I suggest you go and get a job, there is no excuse for running an outdated pc.

Why? Why bother changing the system at all? What did they accomplish? Absolutely nothing. And there are plenty of people on 56K modems that would still like to play Half-Life, they bought the game thinking they would get to, now they can't.
Steam removes the need for external bloatware like Gamespy or Server Query (although not bloatware, tis still an external application). It also adds many benefits to the user such as the Friends network. Long gone are the days of having alt tab to msn to tell your mates your on a server only to alt tab back in and see your sound gone, and the windows cursor showing on screen.

Over the past few days since I got steam, i've been playing easily, sure there are going to be a few teething problems, but thats the same with every new system that is created. I have also noted that there are plenty of 56kers on the australian servers playing cs 1.6 fine. Their pings are actually better than they were in 1.5.

I bought Half-Life with the intention of being able to use the WON system forever

Rofle, you bought half-life with the intention of being able to play one of the greatest games ever made.

It seems to be cool these days to jump on the bashing bandwagon rather than do some reading and find out how to change the application to suit your needs. If you want an example of this take a look at windows. Sure it may not be as good as what it could be, but do some googling, and figure out how to change it. I'm extremely happy with the progress of steam so far, and once its been out to the public for awhile, they will be able to see what needs to be changed/fixed.

I'm yet to see any concrete evidence as to why steam sucks.

1. It wont create an account after like 20 tries.

A. I had to attempt this twice, but what do you expect when there are thousands of people trying to create an account at the same time.. be patient.

2. Reinstalled steam 4 times.

A. Install steam once with no problems.

</discussion>

OPaul
Let's see, I used to play Counter-Strike a long time ago. I bought the Half Life game of the year edition. Every time I installed it I had to a) download the patches for Half Life (about 100 megs), and then b) Download the CS release (about, what was it, 150 megs?). Everytime a patch came out, I got to download that too. And, since this was a long time ago (3, 4 years now?) I was on 56k.
You only need to patch once, you only need to install CS once. Whether you use Steam or not you still download the same stuff once.
OPaul: What is the point of designing software for computers that are 5 years old.. Its time for a change, deal with it and shut up. If you cant afford to upgrade your PC to a semi-decent machine (AMD 2100+, GF4, 256mb DDR ram), then I suggest you go and get a job, there is no excuse for running an outdated pc.

This is a 6 month old laptop that runs Half-Life fine and Steam not so. I can even run UT2003 with everything turned on high. I don't recall saying I didn't have a job or couldn't afford a new computer, did I say that?

It seems to be cool these days to jump on the bashing bandwagon rather than do some reading and find out how to change the application to suit your needs. If you want an example of this take a look at windows. Sure it may not be as good as what it could be, but do some googling, and figure out how to change it. I'm extremely happy with the progress of steam so far, and once its been out to the public for awhile, they will be able to see what needs to be changed/fixed.

I beta tested Steam and I didn't like it. I've installed the new version and haven't' been able to join a game once, I don't like it.

There 17611 people that agree with me, I am not in the minority.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?nosteam

There is no point to have a front end game launcher that is skinable and uses 20megs of physical memory and 20 megs of virtual memory just to get into a game of TFC or NS. I wouldn't' really give a damn if it wasn't for the fact they are shutting down WON, but they are and that's just plain stupid.

Edited by OPaul

scoult01

Wheres the evidence that it sucks? The front end is there so you dont need to go to Custom Game in the hl menu and active a different mod. You can just double click on a game and it will automatically load the respective one.

You only need to patch once, you only need to install CS once. Whether you use Steam or not you still download the same stuff once.

The guy you replied to about that was refereing to every time a new version came out he would need to download the patch for THAT version. Every time a new version came out you would have to download the update for that version. I dont remember being able to install cs, update to the beta 4 version and be able to play on a 1.5 server.

Well the problem is at your end for steam because it runs fine on my machine and all my mates.

FYI my specs are:

AMD 2100+

512mb DDR Kingston ram

Radeon 9700 Pro Ultimate

120gb WD HDD 8mb Cache

80mb Maxtor HDD

EDIT: I was merely stating that if you were complaing about your machine not being able to run it, go and upgrade, and if you couldnt afford it, get a job to pay for it.

thebigj

i hate everyone bitching about steam. steam OWNS. there is no other application out there where you can just click on your friends name and it will connect to the server they are at(besides gamespy which has huge popups and slow speeds), which is probably the best feature.

if steam isnt working for you then i think its a USER problem. me and all of my friends could install and use the first run, with only a few glitches(slow startup...)

NeoMasamune

After having some problems being able to play initially, it has been working great ever since. I think Steam rules! More people need to convert. :yes:

OPaul
Wheres the evidence that it sucks? The front end is there so you dont need to go to Custom Game in the hl menu and active a different mod. You can just double click on a game and it will automatically load the respective one.
The evidence is in all the people that haven't' gotten it to run yet. You don't need to go to custom game to run a mod with normal Half-Life.
The guy you replied to about that was refereing to every time a new version came out he would need to download the patch for THAT version. Every time a new version came out you would have to download the update for that version. I dont remember being able to install cs, update to the beta 4 version and be able to play on a 1.5 server.

I'd personally rather download patches instead of having a 20meg physical memory 20 meg virtual memory program running.

Well the problem is at your end for steam because it runs fine on my machine and all my mates.

FYI my specs are:

Yes, the problem may be my new laptop but the fact is when I bought Half-Life the Recommended RAM amount was 64meg with a P166 processor, now Steam is out it needs 64 megs on a 400 mhz processor. I was not informed when I bought the game that this would ever change. But my computer has 256megs of DDR and still runs gittery in Half-Life with Steam, yet perfect without Steam.
EDIT: I was merely stating that if you were complaing about your machine not being able to run it, go and upgrade, and if you couldnt afford it, get a job to pay for it.

Once again where did I say I didn't have a job? Or couldn't afford another new computer?

i hate everyone bitching about steam. steam OWNS. there is no other application out there where you can just click on your friends name and it will connect to the server they are at(besides gamespy which has huge popups and slow speeds), which is probably the best feature.

Gamespy uses 15 megs of system memory and 10 of virtual memory, Steam uses 20 megs of both. Gamespy runs faster.

threetonesun
I beta tested Steam and I didn't like it. I've installed the new version and haven't' been able to join a game once, I don't like it.

Again, I'm gonna point at you on this one, since there were what, 500,000 accounts created in this last week? And in Beta and now in Final I have no problem at all connecting or playing over Steam. Granted, software should work perfectly for everyone, but it doesn't, and it certainly isn't Valve's fault some people don't like their new service.

There is no point to have a front end game launcher that is skinable and uses 20megs of physical memory and 20 megs of virtual memory just to get into a game of TFC or NS. I wouldn't' really give a damn if it wasn't for the fact they are shutting down WON, but they are and that's just plain stupid.

20 megs? I dunno where you're gettting that from. It's about 5 on mine, and I can alt+tab out of a game of counterstrike, something I always used to have a problem with.

And they have to shut down WON, it's old now. Why would they run 2 seperate systems?

scoult01
The evidence is in all the people that haven't' gotten it to run yet. You don't need to go to custom game to run a mod with normal Half-Life.
It runs fine here, and fine on a lot of other peoples machines.

Sure you dont need to go to Custom Game to run a mod, but you must still have shortcuts to each mod. The new system removes the need for that.

I'd personally rather download patches instead of having a 20meg physical memory 20 meg virtual memory program running.

Do you think that after you install the patch cs just magically runs by itself without using memory?

Granted, software should work perfectly for everyone, but it doesn't, and it certainly isn't Valve's fault some people don't like their new service.

Exactamondo :rofl:

OPaul
Do you think that after you install the patch cs just magically runs by itself without using memory?

The 20megs I was referring to was just the Steam loader, that wasn't including CS. I'd shudder to think what it will be with CS and Steam running.

vas

ive never had a problem with steam beta or final. i think its a great concept but just needs more content servers and bandwith to handle the demands but overall its a gj by valve i say. :)

clonk

Uh... yes you are?! How many million people bought half-life alone, not including CS retail?

If you have a 6 month old computer I don't think you should be complaining about a 400 mhz and 64 meg requirement. Check you video settings would you, update your drivers and whatnot. Since thats a laptop its not going to be a champ at 3d games anyway (Unless you do have a go or mobility).

OPaul

Uh... yes you are?! How many million people bought half-life alone, not including CS retail?

If you have a 6 month old computer I don't think you should be complaining about a 400 mhz and 64 meg requirement. Check you video settings would you, update your drivers and whatnot. Since thats a laptop its not going to be a champ at 3d games anyway (Unless you do have a go or mobility).

If you can find more then 17611 people's names that like Steam then I'll fold. I bought Half-Life by itself, what's your point?

It's a Geforce Go!, and as far as laptops go it's a champ. It runs UT2003 full everything perfect, it runs Half-Life with any mod WITHOUT Steam perfect. It runs Half-Life mods with Steam poorly.

DirtyLarry

leave Opaul alone he didnt even start this post i did.. and he obviocusly has had some issues with it too. just realize and u8nderstand it did not work for everbody so smoothly and consider yourselves lucky you got it running with no problem. It was not just a cpu issue, if you check out my specs you will see I can more than handle anything (dont make any cracks about th graphcis card and half life 2), it was just a matter of questionable release. and many people wanting to play their favorite game perhaps not being able to and having to try numerous times to get a damn program to work. Just go to the steam forums and you will see what i mean. all o paul was doing was also expressing his greivances. end of story no need to attack him for something I started anyway. Sorry oPaul.

karma_police

running fine here, i got the 388MB file over a 56k and no problems at all. When Steam got released they got a lot of traffic and I was angry, not anymore now I can play over a 56k with better pings.

Actually I dont play always at 56k, I play over ADSL or T3 (college) but my ISP had some problems so I'm using 56k just 3 or 4 days.

YaZoR

personally, i think steam is sh!t. "steamy sh!t" oh yes.

the idea and concept are good. but the end product has failed to be of enough use to warrant its existance in my opinion. i use ASE ( http://www.udpsoft.com/eye ) as my game browser, i dont want to be fart arsing about with steamy poo ffs!

doubt we can ban it, lol. but i'm one not to use it. whatever floats your boat i suppose.

Malechai

If you can find more then 17611 people's names that like Steam then I'll fold.

man.. i'd hate to jump in here, but just because 17611 people are bitching doesn't mean you're in the majority. its a fact that upset people **** and moan while content people say nothing. I think the fact that ONLY 17611 are upset about steam is a testamount to its success. hell make that 50,000 upset people. thats still extremely small compared to the total online userbase

threetonesun

I get the feeling a lot of people complaining about Steam are moving over from 1.5 now and didn't have Steam in the beta. Because although it had the same problems when the beta started off, it ended up fine after a week or two. WHich is to be expected since Valve really has no model to go by on this.

Also, has anyone else noticed map loading to be a lot better in final? My comp usually switches maps in about 5 seconds now, it was more like 20 in older versions of CS.

Mike Frett

Good job mike but too late for me. I created an account and then uninstalled steam. Imagine all the other people who did the same.

Just because there were 500,000 created doesn't mean 500,000 liked it. It's a pethetic attempt to fix something that wasn't broke in the first place.

Shame on Valve and shame on people for supporting steam. It's bs and most of you know it, You just won't admit it. I will not be buying hl2 if this is indeed final.

I mean gee wiz people, You can't even edit files in hl anymore due to everything being in one file. And even though you think it's just my opinion, I'm not alone.