• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows XP: Professional vs. Home Edition

Malechai    116

I'm not sure if this has ever been pointed out, but for any of you that don't know what the differences are between the two versions, have a look at this article...

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo...xp_home_pro.asp

Personally, I'm getting the Home Edition. I have no need for the extras that are in Professional. Read it and decide which is best for you :D

Marshalus    50

Pro

Tesseract    0

Benefits of Home Edition: Boots faster, not too complex for newbies

Cons of Home Edtion: No Dual Processor support, lack of management options for experienced users, can't join a domain

Benefits of Professional: Dual Processor support, more management options, IIS, EFS, true superset of Home Edtiion

Cons of Professional: Slow boot time, slower than Home Edition due to services.

I like pro's management features, but the fast boot times and simplicity of Home Edition is also appreciated. If you are a tweaker/power user, Professional is the way to go. If you want a OS that just works and is simple, then Home Edition is for you.

Malechai    116

I disagree..

Home Edition has the same management features. It just lacks anything related for a domain connected environment. And yeah, I thought that it sucked that it didnt have Dual Processor support but honestly, do you have that now? If you don't, when will you get it? Any time SOON? if not, who cares? Plus with the recent Code Red virus, I'm just plain wary of IIS to begin with.. don't have the bandwidth to support it anyway.

BUT...

I'm not arguing your opinion.. you're entitled to it after all. Just arguing the points that you made. All Professional really has over Home Edition is a superset of Domain networking features.

Tesseract    0

I guess that the features that are missing in Home Edition are not really needed by the target audience. If you need all of those extra networking, security, and management, features, then that is what Pro is for. But at least some of those features could be available in Home Edition for consistancy.

mortensen    0

I don't think that WinXP Home Edition will be much faster at all [if at all]. But for most people Home Edition is all that is NEEDED. People didn't rush out and buy Win2k because it was a better OS, instead people only bought 98 and ME for the home. But with two different versions I can see people walking in and buying the "Pro" edition cos they don't want to miss out on anything.

-mortensenj

cmac    0

Has Home Edition got NTFS support or is it limited to FAT/FAT32? Currently I use and love W2k on my desktop with NTFS and Win Me (use and HATE) on my laptop. I'd be more than happy with Home Edition if I can keep NTFS (I like the terrabyte file size limit for video editing)

Marshalus    50

It supports NTFS, infact it trys to convert your system to that by default, since most home users don't dual boot.

When I installed WinXP, I left my Fat32 setup, even though the other OS I run is Win2k. Though today I'll convert it.

odin    0

did I get it right ? There is no IIS for Home version ?

Can I install something like PWS ?

I need IIS at home (i'm a software developer), but i do not want to install Prof. version because rest of my family do not need Prof features and they use the computer most of the timer.

What to do ?

Tesseract    0

Windows XP Home Edition does not have PWS or IIS.

Hexicon    0

Would it stand to reason that you can turn off/on many of the loaded services similiar to W2K. For example if you dont use DHCP services you can disable them at boot up or have them load only if needed. That would make XP Pro more palatable for the "home" user.

configure    1

Home edition is all I need. ;)

Malechai    116

Its all a personal thing after all but I can't justify in my own mind paying the insane price increase from H.E. to Pro for networking and domain features I'll never use. H.E. has everything else that Pro has otherwise. (with the exception of IIS, but hey, my computer will be safer hehe)

Guest sendmarksmail   

Ok, you guys are making things more difficult for yourselves. True Home Edition is best for Home Users, unless they are running a business with multiple computers connected as a Network. The only thing Pro is usually used for is a business, small or big, that requires a network where they all share printers, files, and so forth. For the basica home user, it's perfect. There is no speed difference in the boot up, as that depends on the hardware of your computer.

If you plan on installing XP, Home or Pro, I recommend 512MB of RAM and atleast a 1.5Ghz Processor.

Since I have a pretty damn fast computer, my boot time is recorded at 21.3 seconds and my shutdown time is recorded at 10.68 seconds. Pretty damn good, but most computers typically have 30 second boot time and 20 second shutdown times.

Pro is $100-150 extra, so if your just using it at home editing movies, pictures, etc. Home Edition is fine. If your running multiple computers and sharing lots of files, I mean 100's of Gigabytes, I suggest Pro.

Theres no speed difference between the two. Trust me. I have Pro because I share files between 4 computers at my house. Music, Movies, Pictures, Etc. So I take advantage. Only paid 100 more.

Brandon    295
Ok, you guys are making things more difficult for yourselves.  True Home Edition is best for Home Users, unless they are running a business with multiple computers connected as a Network.  The only thing Pro is usually used for is a business, small or big, that requires a network where they all share printers, files, and so forth.  For the basica home user, it's perfect.  There is no speed difference in the boot up, as that depends on the hardware of your computer.

If you plan on installing XP, Home or Pro, I recommend 512MB of RAM and atleast a 1.5Ghz Processor.

Since I have a pretty damn fast computer, my boot time is recorded at 21.3 seconds and my shutdown time is recorded at 10.68 seconds.  Pretty damn good, but most computers typically have 30 second boot time and 20 second shutdown times.

Pro is $100-150 extra, so if your just using it at home editing movies, pictures, etc.  Home Edition is fine.  If your running multiple computers and sharing lots of files, I mean 100's of Gigabytes, I suggest Pro.

Theres no speed difference between the two.  Trust me.  I have Pro because I share files between 4 computers at my house.  Music, Movies, Pictures, Etc.  So I take advantage.  Only paid 100 more.

586283010[/snapback]

reported

RadishTM    312

I think it's fair to say more or less everyone knows the difference between Home & Pro.

Thread Closed

Radish?