'Unrelenting' Heat Wave Hits 17 States

An "unrelenting" heat blanketed the continental U.S. on Monday, once again sending temperatures into triple digits, forcing officials in several Midwestern cities to order emergency measures, including opening cooling centers for people without air conditioning at home.

One National Weather Service forecaster called the heat "unrelenting," saying sweaty residents in 17 states, from Texas to Michigan, shouldn't expect any relief soon: A so-called "heat dome" over the region isn't moving much, he said.

Excessive heat warnings have been posted for much of the nation's midsection, including Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, as well as South and North Dakota, where forecasters say heat indexes could reach 115 degrees, Reuters reports.

The National Weather Service also warned that the potentially deadly heat could hit some states on the East Coast by the middle of the week.

more

I wish we had a heatwave here. It's been a cold, cloudy, miserable summer here so far. The other day I was wearing my hoodie and I was still cold. At 3pm in the middle of July!! The headline in the paper yesterday was "2011 - The Summer that Never Was". I think you guys must be stealing all of our heat :p

And to think I was actually starting to enjoy the recent cool down. Today's 90 something is the hottest its been since like Thursday of last week where we were lucky to break 85.

Yup, rather uncomfortable in Ohio too, mid 90's, absurdly humid, and a heat index that seems to be somewhere around a bajillion. The person who invented central air conditioning should be granted sainthood.

Yup, rather uncomfortable in Ohio too, mid 90's, absurdly humid, and a heat index that seems to be somewhere around a bajillion. The person who invented central air conditioning should be granted sainthood.

Willis Haviland Carrier (November 26, 1876 ? October 7, 1950) was an American engineer and inventor, and is known as the man who invented modern air conditioning.

Born November 26, 1876 Angola, New York, USA

Died October 7, 1950 (aged 73) New York, New York, USA

Start a petition, you never know! :laugh:

>

The person who invented central air conditioning should be granted sainthood.

Amen to that. It's been hot & humid here too, but that's not unusual for July/August in Michigan. Back in the late 90's we had a heat wave of >100?F that cracked & heaved several roads up to 24".

96 over here in Jersey. But about 55 in my room ;)

This is kinda wasteful.

Set it to 65~70 probably will be better for both the planet and your bill.

It was humid as hell today in CT - we got it extra thick! It was about 91F also. We got some rain/wind however so that cooled things down, we were under stome watches with strong winds/hail possible but none of that yet. Guess we'll see later, battery backups need a workout people! :whistle:

I feel for you guys. We've had it back here in the Southeast as well but it's been a wee bit better the last few days. Last week we had heat indexes of 115 and above nearly all week.

yeah try dealin with this with only 2 windows acs in a large 4bedroom house. and being extremely heat sensitive and havin skin issues... arrg... so lookin forward to winter.

temps have been in the 90s here ;-(

Heat Wave? As far as Texas summers go, there was one day it got to 105 around 1 pm however since then it's been pretty mild. Nowhere near as bad as usual. Also those of you complaining about anything lower than 97-105 degrees outside should go to a state with real summers like Georgia. Damn, that was terrible.

hit 39C (102F) with the humidex here in southwestern ontario today (toronto area) and 46C (115F) in Windsor (us/canada border) where my parents live.. its ridiculous and is only getting hotter apprently.. a/c ftw

I feel for you guys. We've had it back here in the Southeast as well but it's been a wee bit better the last few days. Last week we had heat indexes of 115 and above nearly all week.

Yeah, pretty much the same here, but it has also been overcast for much of the last two weeks, with only two days where it actually rained (although it rained a LOT those two days). I guess we are just used to it, and it is pretty much a given that people in our part of the country have central A/C. Sometimes it is hard to imagine that it isn't so common in other parts of the country.

well in my area 60% of people don't have central ac though you normally don't need it.

96 over here in Jersey. But about 55 in my room ;)

Oh yea, I keep my room at a sweet 60. :cool: I don't even notice it's over 90 outside.

Heat Wave? As far as Texas summers go, there was one day it got to 105 around 1 pm however since then it's been pretty mild. Nowhere near as bad as usual. Also those of you complaining about anything lower than 97-105 degrees outside should go to a state with real summers like Georgia. Damn, that was terrible.

Heh no joke.. a long time back I moved from Keflavik, Iceland to Terrell, TX in the middle of a summer heat wave. First thought that came into my head was "so this is what spontaneous combustion feels like."

Here in Ohio it's been in the mid 90's, but the humidity is the worst, very oppressive. Got the industrial sized AC set low enough to get frost on the windows, I refuse to go outside again until winter. Sub-zero I can deal with. Humidity thick enough to swim in, not so much.

It's 74 out currently and it feels like 86!!! that's how bad it is! 91% hum. right now!!!!

It's 74 out currently and it feels like 86!!! that's how bad it is! 91% hum. right now!!!!

I'd take 100 F and very low humidity over 80 F and 90% or more humidity. That's the worst part. I can deal with dry heat, I can't deal with the nasty humid heat that just makes you sweat your ass off standing still.

It's not 100+ here, but highs aren't supposed to drop below 95 until next week, and there isn't a high under 90 on the 10 day. Plus, this is NC, so you can count on some humidity too, but luckily only about 60% for the coming days.

My grandparents live in Oklahoma and there is only on day on the 10 day forecast that's under 100! :pinch: