• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XP or 7?

Ci7    205

I could be wrong but I thought there was a 30 day trial version of 7 that you could download from microsoft, try it out and then make a decision on whether to buy the license or stick with xp.

in practice

there is No Trial version.

the 30 days are there to give you enough time to activate a "purchased" copy

unless you mean this , which is intended for IT pro not general customers

Windows 7 Enterprise

http://technet.microsoft.com/eng-us/evalcenter/cc442495

Well the card is a GeForce 6200 =/...

Also realized they don't have windows 7 network driver, or would that matter?

card is good enough for general use =)

regarding network driver , what kind of network chip is it?

Windows usually come with generic drivers , not sure if it have your tho

edit

search for it here , you would need IE through

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

alexalex    75

Definitely XP. More lean, less disk space, not bloated, faster on this hardware.

• Like 1

Argote    73

For those uses on that system I guess it'd be better to go with Ubuntu, on a higher en d system I'd say Win 7 every time. Win XP could also be an option but I'd recommend the other two over it.

Zain Adeel    197

windows 7 will be pretty fast on this system..

after a week of use.. and yes.. faster than XP after a few months use.

Also.. ur graphics card will handle Aero just Fine :)

so fire it up!..

highly recommend getting windows 7.. the security features alone are worth it. plus IE9.. which i think isnt available on XP.. even if it is.. IE10 wont be.

and im pretty sure many others things it is faster.. SEARCH is faster. And it doesnt take that much space either..

just keep a good 3rd party software to delete temp and junk files and it will keep ur windows directory size down.

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

Definitely XP. More lean, less disk space, not bloated, faster on this hardware.

Ugh. Shut up, please.

Many recommend 7 and even has reports of it. I'd recommend Win 7 in a nanosecond.

Go crawl back under your blue blanket.

• Like 1

Calum    820

Not that it's entirely relevant to the original question, but there's a pretty big difference between "horrible" and "outdated" (and XP is arguably still not quite "outdated")

But I think it's horrible. It looks horrible, and since I've been using the updated Taskbar, the updated Windows Explorer etc., I deem that XP functions horribly. If the Taskbar was still the same in 7, I'd probably be using Mac OS X by now; I certainly would be if these exact improvements to Windows Explorer hadn't been made.

cork1958    1,710

and why would you turn Aero off that makes no since disabling features and disabling performance Aero runs via GPU and things are faster with it on.

plus with Aero on your eliminate screen tearing duplicating windows While dragging over a non responding window many GDI stuff

My bad.

As warwagon said in post #19, this is what I should've said I do

"Just Turn off the Animations but leave the transparency turned on. Makes 7 and Vista Feel MUCH faster."

Sorry about that mix up :(

articuno1au    1,264

My bad.

As warwagon said in post #19, this is what I should've said I do

"Just Turn off the Animations but leave the transparency turned on. Makes 7 and Vista Feel MUCH faster."

Sorry about that mix up :(

It's purely a "feel" thing though. The animations are intended to slow it down and make it prettier. By disabling animations you are just whacking the menus up.

Either way, if you are recommending XP, you ought to jump off a bridge.

7 + WDM is a TON faster then XP's desktop on CPU.

Growled    3,880

I would go with 7. I run 7 at home and XP at work and I would choose every 7 every time, every day. It just works and feels so much better.

articuno1au    1,264

Late again Mr. Potter Growled.

10 points from Gryffindor..

HawkMan    5,232

Have Windows 7 installed on 2 machines with that same graphics card. One of them has 256mb video memory and the other has 512mb.

Both those machines (1 is a Dell Dimension 2300) only have 1gb memory also. 1 has a 1.7ghz cpu and the other has a 1.8ghz. Both of my machines have bigger hard drives than yours though. My Dell has 2 hard drives in it with 2 different versions of Windows 7.

Both machines run 7 just fine. About the most radical thing I do with them is burn music cd's.

I turn off Aero regardless of how good the machine is!!

Shouldn't even be a question as to which OS to install!!

why ? do you like windows to be slower or something ? because you do realize turning Aero off will make it slower, not faster, right ?

WesLOL    0

If you're going to view web pages and watch movies, XP will be fine. I'm assuming that you can find all the appropriate drivers for XP.

still1    251

Well, just fixed up my old Dell Dimension 4550:

Intel? Pentium? 4 2.4GHz

2x 20GB Hard Drives

2gb DDR ram

forgot graphic card

should I run 7 on it or XP? Mostly using it to surf the web, watch movies, etc...

If I run 7, might have to turn off aero.

So which one would you choose?

Edit: Geforce 6200, but no windows 7 network drivers

Don't turn aero off. turning it off will worsen your performance.

Usually aero run on the graphics card and if you turn it off then the graphics run on the processor which will slow things down.

• Like 1

Seizure1990    252

But I think it's horrible. It looks horrible, and since I've been using the updated Taskbar, the updated Windows Explorer etc., I deem that XP functions horribly. If the Taskbar was still the same in 7, I'd probably be using Mac OS X by now; I certainly would be if these exact improvements to Windows Explorer hadn't been made.

so 10 years from now, when Windows 11 is out, and it's taskbar is 10x more intuitive (which it will be), and system maintenance is 10x easier, and on and on and on, I'm assuming you'll be calling Windows 7 a horrible OS?

Is the Ford Model T a horrible car because it could only go 40 MPH and had an mpg of 15?

• Like 1

Calum    820

so 10 years from now, when Windows 11 is out, and it's taskbar is 10x more intuitive (which it will be), and system maintenance is 10x easier, and on and on and on, I'm assuming you'll be calling Windows 7 a horrible OS?

Is the Ford Model T a horrible car because it could only go 40 MPH and had an mpg of 15?

That's a silly thing to assume because they're different operating system versions. I call Windows XP horrible because it is. While that was the latest Windows version out, I called it horrible because it was and I couldn't afford a Mac. When Vista was released, while it looked a bit nicer than XP, I called the way the Taskbar worked horrible, and I actually modified the Taskbar to remove the text labels and make the icons bigger before we even found out 7 was going to include that (I still couldn't make the Vista Taskbar function like it does in 7 by the way). 7 isn't horrible, it's a great operating system; however, you will most likely hear me say 8 looks better because from what we've seen of 8, it does look better. If 8 functions better than 7, looks better, and performs just as well (if not better), I will recommend it over 7, but I won't call 7 horrible because it isn't horrible. XP has always been horrible, just like the Windows versions before it.

neo1911    793

XP or 7?

XP is must. No questions asked.

1. You will be able to rock with all the non-support for unlimited period of time.

2. You will be able to hold regular Virus festivals.

3. You can literally take a trip to your friendly neighborhood junkyard and get a dot matrix printer. That would have 100% compatibility.

4. There would be no need to wait for any patches from Microsoft.

How much easier your life can get?

migo    105

For looks you can just disable Luna and go back to the classic look. For basic search functions, XP is better, you have to learn how to use the Windows 7 search before it gives you any useful results, so given those two things there's an argument for XP. However, network setup is much more streamlined in Vista and 7, as well as built in driver support. Those are the main reasons I'd choose Windows 7 over XP. While the taskbar on Windows 7 is awesome, the Windows XP one still works well enough. You can split the difference and go with Windows Server 2008 Standard, classic UI, much better driver support and networking. Lacks Windows 7's awesomebar, but can also be set to use classic search.

notuptome2004    164

For looks you can just disable Luna and go back to the classic look. For basic search functions, XP is better, you have to learn how to use the Windows 7 search before it gives you any useful results, so given those two things there's an argument for XP. However, network setup is much more streamlined in Vista and 7, as well as built in driver support. Those are the main reasons I'd choose Windows 7 over XP. While the taskbar on Windows 7 is awesome, the Windows XP one still works well enough. You can split the difference and go with Windows Server 2008 Standard, classic UI, much better driver support and networking. Lacks Windows 7's awesomebar, but can also be set to use classic search.

basic search in windows 7 is simple .......... in the start menu just start typing ........ in the explorer window just start typing and everything in any search in windows Narrows things down fast so that makes windows XP search inferior then 7s for any type of search

perochan    151

none. get OSX...

jk lol.

use 7.

episode    626

7. No question.

You're crazy. 7's search is lightyears ahead of XP's. I can find whatever I'm looking for instantly in 7 (once it indexes). In XP, it can be a chore even if you know the name of the file.

Denis W.    731

It depends on which you value most: long term support, or raw responsiveness. Because your GPU is a GeForce 6200 and since Nvidia still (fortunately, to my knowledge) supports the GeForce 6-series in their driver releases, you can get away with Windows 7 so long as you disable transparency (Aero should be okay). Otherwise, if you don't anticipate using your system for more than three years then stick with XP.

The hard drives being that small isn't the only problem; I bet the seek speeds are quite poor, and would thus make Windows 7 even less responsive than that of XP. That said, I'm not sure if Windows 7 backs off on caching data into memory on disk when the hard drive in question is quite slow.

I'll use my older Sony VAIO system as an example since its specs are similar to the OP's: a Pentium 4 (Northwood) clocked at 2 GHz, 512 MB of RAM (used to be 1.5 GB but I sold the extra sticks), and a Radeon 9200. The GPU wasn't supported, and had limited XDDM drivers for Windows Vista. Even though the XDDM drivers were a small step up from the generic VGA drivers, the overall UI responsiveness lagged behind that of properly supported (but very outdated) drivers from ATI running on Windows XP. Thus, I opted to keep that old machine indefinitely on XP, despite the advantages of Windows 7. Doesn't bother me much as that's the only machine in the house on XP, out of 4 computers.

farmeunit    673

I find that Windows 7 runs "OK" on P4s under 3.0/2.8Ghz, but generally XP is a lot more responsive. For myself, I wouldn't run it on anything less, but Win7 is better OS in general. I could care less about "support". You'll still get security updates for a few more years, and software vendors will still write software for it for a while longer. In the end, it's your decision.

migo    105

basic search in windows 7 is simple .......... in the start menu just start typing ........ in the explorer window just start typing and everything in any search in windows Narrows things down fast so that makes windows XP search inferior then 7s for any type of search

It doesn't search for filenames properly.

7. No question.

You're crazy. 7's search is lightyears ahead of XP's. I can find whatever I'm looking for instantly in 7 (once it indexes). In XP, it can be a chore even if you know the name of the file.

In 7, even if you know the name of the file you won't necessarily find it. That's bad. It doesn't automatically search just for filename when you add an extension to it. Have to install a 3rd party program for that or remove everything from the index.

HawkMan    5,232

It doesn't search for filenames properly.

yea it does, just tell it to search for filenames instead of index.

migo    105

You're missing an important keyword "properly"