XP or 7?

why ?

when I use file: in an indexed location it instantly finds ANY file I search for, if I use it in an un-indexed location it finds the file after doing the slower but still fast B3 file table search.

i wouldn't wanna install 7 on a 20gb drive

This is important!

true but even Microsoft own search 4.0 for XP still misses allot of stuf that windows 7 offers in search more so because search 4.0 is a Ad-on software and not built in to windows XP Windows 7 search is still more advanced then search 4.0 as it is built in at the core level .

Here is a comparison of each version tho windows 7 is not listed as this is slightly older ity is still useful to show you the differences

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/overview/featurecompare.mspx

It doesn't, I've tried it and it didn't work. Sometimes it finds the file, sometimes it doesn't. XP finds it every single time after a bit. Search Everything finds it every single time instantly. Given how Search Everything does it, there's no excuse for Windows 7's **** poor implementation of file search.

I replaced Windows 7 search with Everything.

Why?

Connect a new HD, 20 seconds later you will be able to find any file on that HD instantly.

Windows search = fail search, I have been using Everything a massive amount more than W7 Search

- it is just faster and better.

And I am talking about my netbook here...

Windows7 search is pretty damn instant as well, and I'm talking about my former netbook here.

of course a search that's less than 10% of the more powerful search is going to be faster. but it's also less than 10% of the other.

This is important!

I replaced Windows 7 search with Everything.

Why?

Connect a new HD, 20 seconds later you will be able to find any file on that HD instantly.

Windows search = fail search, I have been using Everything a massive amount more than W7 Search

- it is just faster and better.

And I am talking about my netbook here...

+1

Everything (portable) will find any file in less than 1 second.

Windows7 search is pretty damn instant as well, and I'm talking about my former netbook here.

of course a search that's less than 10% of the more powerful search is going to be faster. but it's also less than 10% of the other.

It's the opposite of instant. If you're searching for a filename in an indexed location it's just short of never.

That's a pretty ****ty solution. There's no excuse for Microsoft not to get that right the first time around. Just admit it, Windows 7 search sucks for filenames.

Um, I don't know what you're smoking, but Windows 7 has probably the best implementation of search that I've seen for any OS, and I've used many operating systems over the years. It works extremely quickly, too. I've had times when I plug in a USB with 4GB of data on it and I'm able to search for a single file (even if the name is slightly different from my search) in literally ten seconds tops. It usually takes around four seconds to find exactly what I'm looking for. On other systems that I've used, I've gotten no results from searches that were too difficult or not strict enough, or the search has taken forever. On Windows 7, the searcher actually guesses things for you, and can find things pretty quickly regardless of indexing or not. I can't think of anything faster or more reliable than that.

I tried Windows 7 for a while but went back to XP

Firstly I am not bothered if its' explorer is a bit better as I use Total commander anyway

I HATED the new taskbar

I use EVERYTHING as my searcher

I couldnt find anything that win7 can do that Xp cant'

Some of my portable programs would not work with win7

The two biggest reasons I went back were some issues with programs not working and a glitch or two with the graphics.

I will only change back to Win7 when I have to because new programs like new versions of Photoshop won't work with xp etc.

I tried Windows 7 for a while but went back to XP

Firstly I am not bothered if its' explorer is a bit better as I use Total commander anyway

I HATED the new taskbar

I use EVERYTHING as my searcher

I couldnt find anything that win7 can do that Xp cant'

Some of my portable programs would not work with win7

The two biggest reasons I went back were some issues with programs not working and a glitch or two with the graphics.

I will only change back to Win7 when I have to because new programs like new versions of Photoshop won't work with xp etc.

Do you use Premiere Pro?

The CS5 and 5.5 versions, as you probably know, require an x64 OS and XP x64 isn't supported. The same applies to After Effects I believe.

No I use sonyVegas, but if the trend grows - I mean a switch to an 64bit os for software then yes I will have to use Win7 or a later OS I only switched to Xp because of software (from win98)

It doesn't, I've tried it and it didn't work. Sometimes it finds the file, sometimes it doesn't. XP finds it every single time after a bit. Search Everything finds it every single time instantly. Given how Search Everything does it, there's no excuse for Windows 7's **** poor implementation of file search.

Why do I get the feeling you dont know how to use Windows 7's search? :unsure:

Anyways, I dont think this should be a question as stated by many: Windows 7 is better in all areas and you can install it on your PC if you have a license for it.