Man Who 'Appeared' Gay Not Allowed to Give Blood

Aaron Pace is admittedly and noticeably effeminate, but he says he?s not homosexual.

Still, his looks, character and behavior prompted a blood donation center to reject him when he tried to donate blood recently and he?s miffed, to say the least.

?I was humiliated and embarrassed,? said Pace, 22. of Gary. ?It?s not right that homeless people can give blood but homosexuals can?t. And I?m not even a homosexual.?

Pace visited Bio-Blood Components Inc. in Gary, which pays for blood and plasma donations, up to $40 a visit. But during the interview screening process, Pace said he was told he could not be a blood donor there because he ?appears to be a homosexual.?

No one at Bio-Blood returned calls seeking comment, but donation centers like it, and even the American Red Cross, are still citing a nearly 30-year-old federal policy to turn away gay men from donating.

more

Good job! Safety first...better to offend someone then kill someone. I am so sick of the American "You can't offend anyone" bull****! Get the f over it and move on...

Good job! Safety first...better to offend someone then kill someone. I am so sick of the American "You can't offend anyone" bull****! Get the f over it and move on...

What the hell are you talking about? Why cant gays give blood? Not every gay person has AIDS...

What a sad, pathetic world view that is.

1) He appeared gay... What a laughable statement at best.

2) So you now assume anyone who is gay has a commutable disease? I can't wait till that way of thinking dies off.

What a sad, pathetic world view that is.

1) He appeared gay... What a laughable statement at best.

2) So you now assume anyone who is gay has a commutable disease? I can't wait till that way of thinking dies off.

It's a 30yo Federal Law from the early AIDS days, so if anyone has a problem with it, they can go try and bribe their congressman, because otherwise nothing will happen

People are too ignorant, but that's nothing new.

Obviously you are one of them for not reading the whole article, it states why it happened if you had looked

People are too ignorant, but that's nothing new.

They can't just break the law. I mean, in this case, dude wasn't gay, but in general they can't let someone who they know to be gay to donate blood. It's not the organisations' fault; the law would have to be changed before they could do anything about it. And honestly, at the risk of offending people I certainly don't mean to offend, I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to something like this. Testing is much better now than it was when the law was enacted, though, and education/protection is more prevalent, so I'm sure they could make some adjustments.

It's a 30yo Federal Law from the early AIDS days, so if anyone has a problem with it, they can go try and bribe their congressman, because otherwise nothing will happen

What is?

That you can judge whether someone is gay based upon their appearance?

That you can judge that anyone who is gay carries a disease?

That you can thus judge if someone is disease ridden from them acting effeminate?

Ok, If you are gay why would you want to give blood and possibly give someone else aids?

You absolutely biggotted fool. Again you are working on the assumption that every gay person is HIV+. How fing stupid is that.

First off, AIDS is commutable from man to woman to woman to man.

Secondly, the gay community is now supposedly a lot more clued up on sexual health than straight partners.

You have just as much probability of carrying AIDS yourself.

I have a large number of gay friends (male and female) and they are all very sensible with their sex lives.

Your opinion here is hugely outdated, hugely biggotted and ridiculously offensive.

this is why i always try to not read or listen to the news. **** like this depresses me.

it's one thing to be incompetent and not update your policy and use some 30 year old federal policy as a guide line to streamline your process, the person up front is just doing their job and turning people down according to some bull**** their bosses put together. but if you are sitting there telling people they "look gay" well frankly you can just ..... i don't want to finish that.

You absolutely biggotted fool. Again you are working on the assumption that every gay person is HIV+. How fing stupid is that.

But a good percentage has it, and they don't all get tested. You can make all kinds of retarded claims, don't make them right, law is the law, you are Gay, no blood donation, since it's not PC to ask someone if they are gay , the org did the right thing by not allowing an effeminate person to donate. I mean I can't tell the difference can you tell between effeminate and gay?

Because they are usually into anal sex. Which involves poo.

Ding Ding Ding

Exactly, male parts were designed to work with female parts. Any other way around involves great possibility of disease, which is STUPID.... Rather offend then risk death!

It's not about being a homophobe, its about common F5#!ng sense!

Not every gay person has AIDS...

But everyone with AIDS is gay :p JK, had to say it though.

Really stupid rule I think.. Maybe if they are so worried, they should be testing peoples blood before putting it up for donation... and can AIDS be transmitted through plasma?

Ignorant.........

Not really, over safe, maybe, a good idea, yes. Sorry we had to offend someone, but that's life, you don't have the right to not be offended

Ding Ding Ding

Exactly, male parts were designed to work with female parts. Any other way around involves great possibility of disease, which is STUPID.... Rather offend then risk death!

It's not about being a homophobe, its about common F5#!ng sense!

I predict this thread will soon close. Anyways says who? You? Oh.... everyone bow down male+female=correct

:no:

im VERY sure after EVERYONE, including gay and non-gay, donate blood anywhere they will check the blood to make sure if it has diseases or not.

Not really, over safe, maybe, a good idea, yes. Sorry we had to offend someone, but that's life, you don't have the right to not be offended

It's not about offense or no offense. It's about treating people like they are oh um human. His attitude supports the idea that gays are disease infested and therefore are not afforded same liberties of other humans.

im VERY sure after EVERYONE, including gay and non-gay, donate blood anywhere they will check the blood to make sure if it has diseases or not.

Absolutely. I am NOT gay but had Hep C and was tested and they through my blood out. Good, it was caught did not harm anybody else and I got a letter so I could get treated. :)

But a good percentage has it, and they don't all get tested. You can make all kinds of retarded claims, don't make them right, law is the law, you are Gay, no blood donation, since it's not PC to ask someone if they are gay , the org did the right thing by not allowing an effeminate person to donate. I mean I can't tell the difference can you tell between effeminate and gay?

OK, point by point.

Define "large percent" please, with figures. These figures (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm) Show the number to be a lot lower than even I suspected.

"They" don't all get tested. They? Let's segregate "them" some more shall we?

"Retarded claims"? Go on...

Where am I arguing against the law. I never argued against gays not being able to give blood. I argued against:

1) Judging someone by your interpretation or opinion of them.

2) Assuming that anyone gay carries AIDS.

I CAN tell the difference between effeminate and gay. One is a demeanour of acting in a femenine manner. The other is a secual preference. They are NOT mutually exclusive. I am very camp at times, but am straight. I have gay friends who are very masculine.

Exactly, male parts were designed to work with female parts.

Got a surprise for you buddy, they fit pretty damned well up the bum too!

Any other way around involves great possibility of disease

The risk of an STU such as chlamidia from vaginal sex with a woman is higher than the risk of AIDS from anal sex with a man

Because they are usually into anal sex. Which involves poo.

So are many straight couples.

And in any case, this person wasn't gay anyway!