Man Who 'Appeared' Gay Not Allowed to Give Blood

DaveLegg    1,053

Moving away from a pointless argument where no progress is being made...

One thing I love about the homosexual community in Oxford, is that every time there is a blood donation event, there is a protest held outside by members of the homosexual community, but the message on their banners and so on is "Please give blood to help save lives, because we're not allowed to". Very intelligent and responsible protesting of the matter there.

Dark_ph0enix    13

Moving away from a pointless argument where no progress is being made...

One thing I love about the homosexual community in Oxford, is that every time there is a blood donation event, there is a protest held outside by members of the homosexual community, but the message on their banners and so on is "Please give blood to help save lives, because we're not allowed to". Very intelligent and responsible protesting of the matter there.

Provided the people protesting aren't getting in anyone's face, that's the kinda thing I approve of. It's respectfuly done, and gets across two valid points.

Like I said a few pages back, I have a friend who is also gay, that's been donating for almost ten years now. Now personally I have no probs with that, but I know a tonne of gay people who've given him so much crap about how he shouldn't, and who fail to see the bigger picture.

Charisma    2,399

Provided the people protesting aren't getting in anyone's face, that's the kinda thing I approve of. It's respectfuly done, and gets across two valid points.

Like I said a few pages back, I have a friend who is also gay, that's been donating for almost ten years now. Now personally I have no probs with that, but I know a tonne of gay people who've given him so much crap about how he shouldn't, and who fail to see the bigger picture.

The only problem I have with it is that it's against the law, and whether we like the law or not, he can still get in trouble for breaking it. I'd be more worried about him getting "caught" somehow.

Dark_ph0enix    13

The only problem I have with it is that it's against the law, and whether we like the law or not, he can still get in trouble for breaking it. I'd be more worried about him getting "caught" somehow.

I don't think it technically is, in the UK. I suppose if you were carrying an infection, that somehow got past the screening process [the UK blood service has the best blood screening in the world - something I maintain is helped by the fact UK donors aren't paid for their donations.] you could be charged, but other than that - as far as I know, the Regular Blood Donor health questionnaire isn't legally binding.

shakey    1,127

I think the statistics on gay and aids is a little skewed... No one seems to factor in the huge population in africa that has aids, and keeps spreading it through the practice of non-safe sex and having babies born with it.

http://www.avert.org/aids-hiv-africa.htm

If you put in those numbers, it isn't just gays who are at high risk, it is anyone having unprotected sex.

Educate yourself and stop spouting "what I thinks", because "what you thinks" has nothing to do with reality.

seta-san    1,440

I would pick the gay man's blood to try to prove a point. Then, when I'm healthy, I would come onto Neowin and tell you my story, noting your reaction and seeing whether you still have these backward, dangerous views :)

picking either person is a gamble. Going off of statistics I'd chose the straight guy unless he had track marks up and down his arm..

Charisma    2,399

I don't think it technically is, in the UK. I suppose if you were carrying an infection, that somehow got past the screening process [the UK blood service has the best blood screening in the world - something I maintain is helped by the fact UK donors aren't paid for their donations.] you could be charged, but other than that - as far as I know, the Regular Blood Donor health questionnaire isn't legally binding.

Well, I meant in the US where this story is from, it is against the law. Are donors in the US paid?? I thought that was the point of a 'donation' of something is that it was given with nothing in return.

Dark_ph0enix    13

Well, I meant in the US where this story is from, it is against the law. Are donors in the US paid?? I thought that was the point of a 'donation' of something is that it was given with nothing in return.

I'm nowhere near sure, but I think Plasma donors can get paid. Dunno about that for definite, however.

shakey    1,127

I'm nowhere near sure, but I think Plasma donors can get paid. Dunno about that for definite, however.

Depends on where you go, but most plasma donation offices pay for the donation, as plasma is basically universal, where as blood is limited to blood type, as to whom can receive it.

Charisma    2,399

Depends on where you go, but most plasma donation offices pay for the donation, as plasma is basically universal, where as blood is limited to blood type, as to whom can receive it.

*interest is piqued* ooh, how much? I may have to try and get over my needle-queasiness if its worth it.

Yes, yes, I'll Google it.

Edit: Looks like about $20.

seta-san    1,440

I think the statistics on gay and aids is a little skewed... No one seems to factor in the huge population in africa that has aids, and keeps spreading it through the practice of non-safe sex and having babies born with it.

http://www.avert.org/aids-hiv-africa.htm

If you put in those numbers, it isn't just gays who are at high risk, it is anyone having unprotected sex.

Educate yourself and stop spouting "what I thinks", because "what you thinks" has nothing to do with reality.

actually safe sex does play a major role..

but due to the nature of of anal sex the chances of being infected increase dramatically. The anus really wasn't built for that kind of punishment like the vagina is.. So it tears and bleeds allowing the infection away into both people participating. This doesn't happen often in vaginal sex. This is why, even more than drug use and unsafe sex that AIDS is most spread through male-homosexual sex.

shakey    1,127

*interest is piqued* ooh, how much? I may have to try and get over my needle-queasiness if its worth it.

Yes, yes, I'll Google it.

Edit: Looks like about $20.

Roughly $20 to $40 depending on where it is at. Here in my city, there is a plasma donation center just a few miles from me that pays about $40 per donation.

Jebadiah    42

I would love to see all these politically correct types be sitting in a hospital needing a life or death transfusion that can only be given by 2 young males who have offered to do it without a test beforehand due to a blood and equipment shortage during a disaster, one obviously and admittedly gay man and one straight man, and see which one they pick to do it.

No amount of irrational political correctness would make them pick the gay man.

Coin toss or use both of the young males. I need blood!!

Now, if you want to use your uninformed irrational bigoted ideology, surely you can make a choice. Clearly, you have insulted the human race through your last sentence. If you look at what you said in another way, that is also why we have 750 million people on Facebook. There is a reckless disregard for dire consequences which may be due to lack of foresight or the lack of ability to think beyond or just laziness.

Why are certain people refusing to accept that the levels of risk are not equal? It is scientific fact that risk levels are significantly higher from Homosexual males. This is not being homophobic or bigoted or anything else this is just reality.

Nobody is denying that based on homosexual promiscuity statistics. But, you have to take a look at heterosexual promiscuity statistics as well. I have not received the memo that has the heterosexual promiscuity statistics so I do not know how to compare.

We are trying to tell you that because someone homosexual is donating blood, the blood doesn't turn into an automatic risk. This is just like racial profiling. Just because you are brown, doesn't mean you are an illegal immigrant or terrorist. Just because you are black, doesn't mean you're poor. Just because you're white, doesn't mean you can't be a terrorist (see Mumbai bombing).

This is a grave problem in the US and many other places which needs to be addressed. Profiling is used by law enforcement and other agencies to judge whether someone is a possible criminal, or not, just to make things convenient for them to do their job. This leaves a clear loophole. Behavioral profiling is not 100% perfect. In research studies from around 2000-2001, it has been shown that 25% of the time it fails badly with false negatives. (Google it.)

I'll repost my post again:

Why are people assuming there is just as much chance from heterosexuals? No there is not. It is a simple fact of life to say that Homosexual males are a higher risk group than hetero. Additionally, Screening for HIV is not perfect and given the fact that from HIV infected blood the chances of getting HIV are 90% it is a sensible precaution especially when blood that is donated for transfusion is preserved under certain conditions (this is necessary so that the blood will be useful to the recipient) that will allow HIV to continue to survive.

In the US 1 in 450,000 to 1 in 660,000 donations per year are infectious for HIV but are not detected by current antibody screening tests.

Obviously this place went about it the wrong way and a simple question like in the UK on a form would have made more sense

No, because that would be discrimination and it's nobody's business to ask about someone else's sexual orientation. They should ask whether you have had "unprotected sex" because that is what gets you diseases regardless of your sexual orientation. Again, anybody can and will lie, so the best way is to collect the blood, test it and throw it out if it's useless. Duh! No way around it.

picking either person is a gamble. Going off of statistics I'd chose the straight guy unless he had track marks up and down his arm..

Your choice. So if the straight guy has track marks and you obviously don't want the gay person's blood, you would choose to die? Correct? Good. Think of it this way. Dying would save other people's lives. Right? Right?

Charisma    2,399

This is a grave problem in the US and many other places which needs to be addressed. Profiling is used by law enforcement and other agencies to judge whether someone is a possible criminal, or not, just to make things convenient for them to do their job. This leaves a clear loophole. Behavioral profiling is not 100% perfect. In research studies from around 2000-2001, it has been shown that 25% of the time it fails badly with false negatives. (Google it.)

That's still 75% correct. If I had a choice of dying now, quickly, from bleeding out, or dying painfully later on due to AIDS complications and battling it out with expensive meds and feeling like crap for a long time, I'll choose the former.

And yes, that's jumping pretty far to a conclusion, but when it comes to my personal health--again, better safe than sorry. I know I'm not a bigoted person, and so do all my friends (who are of all races and sexual orientations). I don't think any of them would judge me for being overly cautious about something like blood donations. Then again, I chose my friends because they're down-to-earth and not pretentious, easily-offended, politically-correct crybabies.

Hardcore Til I Die    286

You think those blood banks don't mark subjects as being homosexual and thus test their blood more thoroughly than other blood to ensure that they don't get sued for infecting somebody?

You can't test blood "more thoroughly" - you either test it for infections or you don't. It would be the same for gays and straight.

WelshBluebird    95

All this debate about gay people being able to donate or not, it misses the point of the story!

The guy in question isn't gay.

Dark_ph0enix    13

All this debate about gay people being able to donate or not, it misses the point of the story!

The guy in question isn't gay.

But he looked gay - which is enough to bar him from being a suitable donor - according to both the people who run the company, and it seems, certain people who've posted in this thread.

Jebadiah    42

That's still 75% correct. If I had a choice of dying now, quickly, from bleeding out, or dying painfully later on due to AIDS complications and battling it out with expensive meds and feeling like crap for a long time, I'll choose the former.

And yes, that's jumping pretty far to a conclusion, but when it comes to my personal health--again, better safe than sorry. I know I'm not a bigoted person, and so do all my friends (who are of all races and sexual orientations). I don't think any of them would judge me for being overly cautious about something like blood donations. Then again, I chose my friends because they're down-to-earth and not pretentious, easily-offended, politically-correct crybabies.

However, would you rather take that risk of being 25% wrong in a life and death situation? Just like many others, you're using statistics to your downfall.

Not taking blood will obviously kill you. Not testing the blood you have in the bag will also kill you. Which is worse?

bryonhowley    11

Good job! Safety first...better to offend someone then kill someone. I am so sick of the American "You can't offend anyone" bull****! Get the f over it and move on...

So being gay automatically means they have aids? If that is what you are saying? If so then you are the dumbest most uneducated ****ing moron in the world!! Aids has not been a gay only problem for years. You should go back to the first grade and start over because you have no education what so ever ****ing moronic *******!

daniel_rh    78

Because they are usually into anal sex. Which involves poo.

OMG LOL, really I'm at work right now and everybody stared looking at me while laughing very hard, for a sec though :rofl:

The Rev    438

I feel like i'm back in the 80s reading these bigoted comments....

The man "appeared" gay, but likely would have answered to the contrary on the forms... I don't see what legal right they have to turn him away. He should sue. :-p

Abyssus    2

So does this mean black people can't donate blood :shiftyninja:

Joking

The Rev    438

So does this mean black people can't donate blood :shiftyninja:

Oh snap! That's not nice though, really.... I think that whole "down low" phenomenon is way overblown....

M_Lyons10    454

What the hell are you talking about? Why cant gays give blood? Not every gay person has AIDS...

+1 What a ridiculous thing to even support. There is no reason whatsoever for gay people to not be able to donate blood. There was a story a couple of years ago where a family member had Leukemia and needed blood from a compatible donor. They were lucky to have a brother that was a match, but he was not permitted to donate blood because he was gay... Now, normally it isn't this simple a case, but if donating blood can save a life (Any life), why would you turn someone away just because they are (Or appear to be) gay? It makes absolutely no sense, and should have been dropped when it was discussed a year or two ago...

You can't test blood "more thoroughly" - you either test it for infections or you don't. It would be the same for gays and straight.

+1

shakey    1,127

I think the real issue is that some think it is possible to end up liking penis due to having a gay mans blood in you...... just silly.