Mac OS X Lion Bugs

After a few weeks now... still not a single issue.

My girlfriends old white MB 13" (pre-unibody) C2D, 2GB though has serious Safari issues. But that's to be expected with that kind of machine... She just keeps using Chrome now...

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone with an issue with SLEEP functions.

I noticed an issue today which I suppose has been around since probably two weeks ago. When plugged in my Macbook Pro had "insomnia" and wouldn't sleep. The display turned off but the hard disks kept spinning and the breathing LED didn't breathe.

Turns out on one of my previous office printers there was an incomplete print job. The printer was thus labelled as "in use". This kept the entire machine from sleeping when hooked up to a power source.

I've never experienced this problem before, but it took me ages to figure out what was preventing sleep. So, if anyone is in a similar situation where sleep function takes ages, CHECK OUT your printer settings!

?Medking

My wifi is starting to be REAL slow, don?t know if it?s my Time Capsule or OS X.

Sometimes after a while, I cannot zoom in the screen anymore. Even disabling and re-enabling the functionality in System Preferences won?t work.

I have a couple of major issues with the the Dock and the Finder. For instance, the Dock will crash once in a while, leaving an icon magnified and killing the Dock?s functionality completely. I can?t CMD+TAB, and can?t call Mission Control.

Then the Finder, today I needed to right click on it and click on the window I wanted, because if I left clicked on the icon, nothing would happen.

I?ve been having these issues in 10.7.0, 10.7.1 and now I?ve installed the latest 10.7.2. Based on what I?ve seen so far about Apple?s control over quality, Lion really sucks badly, even a month after its release.

My wifi is starting to be REAL slow, don?t know if it?s my Time Capsule or OS X.

Sometimes after a while, I cannot zoom in the screen anymore. Even disabling and re-enabling the functionality in System Preferences won?t work.

I have a couple of major issues with the the Dock and the Finder. For instance, the Dock will crash once in a while, leaving an icon magnified and killing the Dock?s functionality completely. I can?t CMD+TAB, and can?t call Mission Control.

Then the Finder, today I needed to right click on it and click on the window I wanted, because if I left clicked on the icon, nothing would happen.

I?ve been having these issues in 10.7.0, 10.7.1 and now I?ve installed the latest 10.7.2. Based on what I?ve seen so far about Apple?s control over quality, Lion really sucks badly, even a month after its release.

I seem to recall the emphasised bit being said about Leopard .0/.1 and Snow Leopard .0/.1 as well.

For what it's worth, I don't have any issues with Lion.

I've found my 2nd Gen MacBook air runs way hotter than with Snow Leopard, even when there are no applications running, basically, on a fresh install of Lion. After talking to some senior people at Apple, they told me off the record, Lion is not designed for that laptop, even though it's only a few months old.

I actually regret installing this "upgrade". The only 2 useful features are the ability to resize windows from any direction (which should have been in there since 1984) and the improved QuickLook.

Everything could have been a simple update to Snow Leopard. But the over heating thing makes me want to uninstall it.

Bad Apple, very bad Apple!

After talking to some senior people at Apple, they tild me off the record, Lion is not designed for that laptop, even though it's only a few months old.

This simply can't be true. I'm sorry. Because if it was, why would I, with my 2009 MBP, get better overall performance and even better battery life? Because Lion surely was not made for that.

Also, I have a hard time believing that you talked to some "senior people at Apple", whoever that may be, and they just said "yeah, don't tell anyone but [...]"... Really. I'm not saying you're lying... I'm just saying... I have a very hard time imagine this to be true...

This simply can't be true. I'm sorry. Because if it was, why would I, with my 2009 MBP, get better overall performance and even better battery life? Because Lion surely was not made for that.

Also, I have a hard time believing that you talked to some "senior people at Apple", whoever that may be, and they just said "yeah, don't tell anyone but [...]"... Really. I'm not saying you're lying... I'm just saying... I have a very hard time imagine this to be true...

I have it in an eMail. The phone tech support people at Apple could not help me, so they escalated my call to 2 levels above them and I got through to a senior engineer. I have her eMail and her statement.

I just checked with a buddy of mine... he has no problems with Lion on his MBA whatsoever... The ones right before the most recent ones... oh well.

I have it in an eMail. The phone tech support people at Apple could not help me, so they escalated my call to 2 levels above them and I got through to a senior engineer. I have her eMail and her statement.

I still find it hard to believe. Apple are quick at dropping backward compatibility (just ask any pre-C2D Intel Mac owner) - but not that quick.

-- written on a 2008 iMac which works perfectly fine with Lion

Lion is working okay for me apart from a sleep and wake issue.

It's intermittent. Sometimes my iMac will not wake from sleep properly. If I tap the power button, it will wake, but none of the peripherals work, so I have to kill it and reboot it. Kinda of an annoyance. :p

Make a screen shot of the email message and post it here on Neowin. You can blank out any personal info like names, case numbers, first part of the email address.

I seem to recall the emphasised bit being said about Leopard .0/.1 and Snow Leopard .0/.1 as well.

For what it's worth, I don't have any issues with Lion.

I know what you?re talking about, but it?s nowhere as close as Lion.

Leopard had its bunch of bugs when it came out, Snow Leopard 10.6.0 surprisingly also had its bunch of bugs (it didn?t change too much, that?s why I use the word surprisingly), but was actually better than Leopard 10.5.0.

I really cannot wait for 10.7.3, which I think will be the first real "service pack / massive bug fixer" to Lion.

People say the exact same thing about every single major OS X / Windows / insert random OS here version that is released. No offense, but I just stopped taking responses like this seriously a long time ago. Only once in a while there's an OS release that's truly problematic one way or another like OS X Cheetah or Windows ME and Vista.

Leopard had its bunch of bugs when it came out, Snow Leopard 10.6.0 surprisingly also had its bunch of bugs (it didn?t change too much, that?s why I use the word surprisingly), but was actually better than Leopard 10.5.0.

I really cannot wait for 10.7.3, which I think will be the first real "service pack / massive bug fixer" to Lion.

10.7.2 is going to be a pretty big update given that the combo update is already weighing it at around 670MB so far (a jump from 74MB for 10.7.1 update).

People say the exact same thing about every single major OS X / Windows / insert random OS here version that is released. No offense, but I just stopped taking responses like this seriously a long time ago. Only once in a while there's an OS release that's truly problematic one way or another like OS X Cheetah or Windows ME and Vista.

Honestly .Neo, as far as I can remember, I never had a single problem with Leopard?s release, a couple of minor things with Snow Leopard, but Lion brings pretty big stuff on the table. My OS is still very functional, more than what I?ve seen on any PC so far, but I am concerned about the image/reputation of Apple, as when I say I have a Mac a bunch of people bring the discussion about Lion and it gets rather annoying.

10.7.2 is going to be a pretty big update given that the combo update is already weighing it at around 670MB so far (a jump from 74MB for 10.7.1 update).

Are you talking about bug fixes ? Because 10.7.2 will only include iCloud stuff basically. I have the current 10.7.2 beta running at the moment and it didn?t fix any of my concerns.I?m not saying 10.7.2 is bad, but it is not the kind of update everyone in this specific thread is hoping for.

Are you talking about bug fixes ? Because 10.7.2 will only include iCloud stuff basically. I have the current 10.7.2 beta running at the moment and it didn?t fix any of my concerns.

I?m not saying 10.7.2 is bad, but it is not the kind of update everyone in this specific thread is hoping for.

The latest seed of 10.7.2 (11C40) update is sitting at 730MB and iCloud Beta 8 is sitting at 27MB - you can't honestly explain the jump from 74MB to 730MB purely on the basis that "only include iCloud stuff basically". Just because your concerns haven't been addressed doesn't mean there aren't bugs fixed, you do realise that they triage bugs so that the most important/critical ones are addressed first? If it were just 'iCloud stuff basically' then why go through all the song and dance of having multiple seeds?

The latest seed of 10.7.2 (11C40) update is sitting at 730MB and iCloud Beta 8 is sitting at 27MB - you can't honestly explain the jump from 74MB to 730MB purely on the basis that "only include iCloud stuff basically". Just because your concerns haven't been addressed doesn't mean there aren't bugs fixed, you do realise that they triage bugs so that the most important/critical ones are addressed first?

What do I know about why the update is so big? I was wondering the same thing, but at my biggest surprise, these are the release notes for the latest and greatest 10.7.2 :

This pre-release version of OS X Lion 10.7.2 is being provided solely for testing iCloud and updates the public release of OS X Lion and any earlier seed of OS X Lion 10.7.2. If you installed a previous seed of OS X Lion 10.7.2, please run the included reversioner package followed by the OS X Lion 10.7.2 update without restarting your system. You should restart your system after installing the OS X Lion 10.7.2 Update.

If it were just 'iCloud stuff basically' then why go through all the song and dance of having multiple seeds?

I don?t know? One could also wonder why they are at their 8th iCloud beta, 2nd iWork for iOS beta, 2nd iPhoto 9.2 beta, 2nd Safari 5.1.1 beta?

Honestly .Neo, as far as I can remember, I never had a single problem with Leopard?s release, a couple of minor things with Snow Leopard

Hmm well, I don't have a single problem with Lion... not even minor things. I don't even have unexpected compatibility issues with 3rd party software because I took 5 minutes and looked up which programs will be compatible from the start...

Lion is not even half as bad, not one quarter as bad as people make it out to be. But as .Neo pointed out, people said that about Leopard and SL aswell...

Honestly .Neo, as far as I can remember, I never had a single problem with Leopard?s release, a couple of minor things with Snow Leopard, but Lion brings pretty big stuff on the table. My OS is still very functional, more than what I?ve seen on any PC so far, but I am concerned about the image/reputation of Apple, as when I say I have a Mac a bunch of people bring the discussion about Lion and it gets rather annoying.

Like I said people say stuff like this with every release to date. Whether it's about the new Aqua, system features, performance, bugs, whatever... These are issues that affect nearly every new OS launch. It's something you know and just have to deal with. If not stick to what you know until the new version matured a bit. That said OS X Lion has been smooth sailing for me so far.

Regarding the 10.7.2 update: There's currently no telling if things will stay the way they are or if additional bug fixes will be added later. Apple could very well have split up the iCloud section and major bug fixes only to be merged at a later time.

Do we know when 10.7.2 may be hitting GM?

I really want this Flash problem sorting out....

I?d say the day they show off their new iPhone 5 and iPod Touches. So somewhere in the beginning of September is my bet.