[Help] I took and edited a picture, but don't know how!

Hi all,

several years ago I followed a tutorial in a magazine (EDIT: it was Digital Photo Magazine, probably the January 2007 issue if anyone has got one knocking around :p ) and made this image:

377414608_6d570767d1_z.jpg

painting with light by Caterix, on Flickr

Now I'm back on board with photography and wanted to try a new (improved) version of this, but can't remember how I did it. I can light paint with a mini maglite, but then I can't figure out how to change the colour of this in photoshop. I think originally I used photoshop elements 5, and adjusted a slider to get the colour of the light beam that I wanted. Looking back over the old RAW files, it appears that I first took an image of the lit candle, then I doused the candle and took a 2nd picture of the light beam around the candle. I then put these together in photoshop and adjusted a slider somewhere to change the colour of the light beam from the normal orange colour to that blue colour. I now have photoshop elements 9, but the "replace colour" tool won't work on the white colour of the beam in my new test image.

Hopefully I've made it fairly easy to understand what I'm trying to do, and that someone can help me out :)

Thanks!

it looks to me like its two identical lines with outer glow, obviously both are different colors, with the second one slightly transparent...maybe even a slight blur filter effect on it..