New Windows Phone Mango Beta Build Released For Developers

Microsoft today announced the release of Windows Phone SDK 7.1 ?Beta 2 Refresh?. Here are the top 5 features Microsoft mentioned in their blog today,

Application platform APIs are now locked; you can feel confident to start getting ready for submitting your apps next month.

Emulator now has a nifty screenshot capability built in, allowing you quickly snap quality images of your app without the need of separate tools or cropping time. The images are great for use in app submission process or to share on your blog or with folks such as my team (hint hint).

The profiler has been greatly improved and provides memory profiling.

As of this drop, you can install NuGet into the free version of the WPSDK tools. I find NuGet to be one of my favorite productivity boosters and I?m happy to see the extension supported in the free tools.

The drop includes an initial peek at the Marketplace Test Kit; with the RC release, you?ll be able to use the included version of this toolkit to test your XAP file against the same certification testing tools that we use when ingesting apps for the Marketplace. For this refresh, it?s there but not fully functional; but more on this in a future blog post.

to be updated..

http://wmpoweruser.com/new-windows-phone-mango-beta-build-released-for-developers/

zune say there is a update for my hacked Mango phone. i'm guessing its this one... is it safe to update?

Shame it's not the final RTM image. Is there a reason for that?

?For the folks wondering why we?re not providing the ?RTM? version, there are two main reasons. First, the phone OS and the tools are two equal parts of the developer toolkit that correspond to one another. When we took this snapshot for the refresh, we took the latest RC drops of the tools and the corresponding OS version. Second, what we are providing is a genuine release candidate build, with enough code checked in and APIs locked down that this OS is close enough to RTM that, as a developer, it?s more than capable to see you through the upcoming RC drop of the tools and app submission. It?s important to remember that until the phone and mobile operator portion of Mango is complete, you?re still using a pre-release on your retail phone ? no matter the MS build. Until that time, enjoy developing and cruising around on build 7712 ? it?s a sweet ride, to be sure?

?For the folks wondering why we?re not providing the ?RTM? version, there are two main reasons. First, the phone OS and the tools are two equal parts of the developer toolkit that correspond to one another. When we took this snapshot for the refresh, we took the latest RC drops of the tools and the corresponding OS version. Second, what we are providing is a genuine release candidate build, with enough code checked in and APIs locked down that this OS is close enough to RTM that, as a developer, it?s more than capable to see you through the upcoming RC drop of the tools and app submission. It?s important to remember that until the phone and mobile operator portion of Mango is complete, you?re still using a pre-release on your retail phone ? no matter the MS build. Until that time, enjoy developing and cruising around on build 7712 ? it?s a sweet ride, to be sure?

So they're still waiting on the dev. tools - that's a shame. Thanks for the quote GP007.

So they're still waiting on the dev. tools - that's a shame. Thanks for the quote GP007.

No, we're not getting RTM because Microsoft would rather you revert back to NoDo and get Mango from your carrier when they release it, that way you get all the proper drivers and software - plus your warranty.

No, we're not getting RTM because Microsoft would rather you revert back to NoDo and get Mango from your carrier when they release it, that way you get all the proper drivers and software - plus your warranty.

Fair enough although they could have given devs an RTM build now and then forced through an official version once carrier testing is complete. Still, a feature complete RC build will be good enough until then.

Getting back on the carrier warranty makes sense to me actually, and why not? MS made it clear from the first Mango beta update that devs would have to revert back to NoDo (7392) and then update directly to the final RTM build (7720).

It just sounds like 7712 is when they locked the APIs so it's a good place for devs to do one final run of their apps on hardware before they submit them to the marketplace next month.

updated to the new build !! there doesnt seem to be any more features than the previous mango build :unsure:

From a user perspective or from a developer perspective? Have you looked for a change log?

From a user perspective or from a developer perspective? Have you looked for a change log?

user..

source link in op has some of the dev changelog

edit: Twitter integration now works. atleast the page opens up.. setting up the account now.

edit 2: done. Twitter integration in people hub rocks!

updated to the new build !! there doesnt seem to be any more features than the previous mango build :unsure:

Twitter account integration works now.

From a developer perspective, there's a few changes - renamed API's, regressed the image loading behaviour, listbox scrolling states, etc.

From a user persecptive - Panorama animations in hubs now play the full animation each time - its nicer and swishier looking, but it's a longer animation. A lot of tweaked and improved animations over the previous BETA. Groups icons have been removed from the people's hub. The music hub has had it's "play all" play button icon replaced (stupidly I think), by an icon with two two musical notes in it. A number of other small visual changes in some places... all in all, just a lot of polishing up from the BETA.

Long enough to get annoying?

Nope. Maybe 100ms more, nothing drastic. Arguably looks nicer, and adds to the sense of depth. (Easier to understand when you see it).

Also, as a note to anyone who is upgrading from the Mango BETA 2 to this build.... MAKE SURE you have actually backed up a copy of your original backup that was made during your upgrade to Mango. This update will create a backup which will overwrite the old one, which means you won't be able to restore your phone back to NoDo to actually upgrade to the retail version of Mango unless you've made a back up of the back up :p

...and unless you're on a Samsung phone with a ROM you can download, you could be stuck on the Mango BETA for a while.

...and unless you're on a Samsung phone with a ROM you can download, you could be stuck on the Mango BETA for a while.

?? There are original 7.0 and NoDo ROMs available for most HTC models as well. I have a backup, but I also have the original RUU saved just in case my backup doesn't work right.

?? There are original 7.0 and NoDo ROMs available for most HTC models as well. I have a backup, but I also have the original RUU saved just in case my backup doesn't work right.

If there are that's good (I had a quick browse beforehand on XDA to see if there any user flashable ROMs for the rest of them, but I didn't see any...) If they're not your original carriers ROM you'll probably lose your warranty (if anyone cares for their warranty or has insurance). Just a word of caution for anyone though just to make sure.

Edit - just found them - as long as your not rocking a DVP there looks to be fallbacks for most people. And if you feel like keeping all your texts and calls and game saves :p