Russia Plans to Sink the International Space Station in 2020

+Fulcrum

They could make it a tourist attraction at least...

FMH

What's wrong with letting it orbit around? Don't we have enough garbage being dumped in the ocean already?

Klethron

I guess it's inevitable. I can't imagine maintenance would be very cheap on that thing. Lol.

I probably takes a beating too so it would be very unsafe as it ages.

Yeah, there isn't a 5 minute run to the Home Depot for some bolts. But if it's safe and has no issues in 2020 why destroy it? Keep it going. Hell if the thing works keep using it. Put some Russians in it with a load of food and send it to the Sun. Let the Russians tell us what the Sun looks like close up.

Titoist

It costs about $3 Billion in operational costs a year. That's without equipment which needs to be replaced frequently due to the stresses of orbit. It would be cheaper for them just to let it de-orbit.

primexx

What's wrong with letting it orbit around? Don't we have enough garbage being dumped in the ocean already?

have you seen the amount of garbage in orbit?

DocM

Not bringing it down in a controlled manner risks large parts of it landing in a populated area, plus in orbit bits could break off from impacts and create a debris cloud.

threetonesun

It's traveling at 15,000 miles per hour. So if you leave it up there, and pieces come off, you now have debris you can't track whizzing around just waiting to hit another space-bound vehicle.

Growled

I certainly hope they do all the calculations right when they decided to bring it down. I don't want it in my backyard.

threetonesun

I certainly hope they do all the calculations right when they decided to bring it down. I don't want it in my backyard.

You NIMBY's make everything so difficult. :laugh:

Hey, even if they just send it down, there's a 70% chance of hitting water, right?

Foxwolf

It descends a bit each year anyway, with each years descent higher than the one before.

Thats why they boost it.

If left alone it would do as stated above; break up with some bits forming a debris cloud and the rest crashing down somewhere.

I wonder if the owners get fined for littering if it will take two DJ's to get the fine paid this time :)

Planar1280

why did we waste money building it?

DocM

I went into that on page 2 of this thread, but basically to keep the Shuttle going past its projected end date of the early 90's. This to keep jobs in states with NASA centers and congressional districts/states with Shuttle contractors.

Without either we could have moved on to more economical and capable systems; HL-20 (Dream Chaser), HL-40 (bigger) or Venture Star transports, Bigelow-style station modules, NAUTILUS class exploration vehicles, erc. 10-20 years sooner.

Hum

Surprised no one Updated this ...

Not so fast

If anything, the International Space Station will be in operation well after 2020. Russia, NASA and the other partners in the 16-nation venture are looking into extending the station's lifetime to 2028 ? that is, if they can verify that its components will still be in working order that far into the future.

By 2028, still more space stations will be in orbit ? almost certainly including the space bases currently being planned for launch as early as 2015 by private companies such as Bigelow Aerospace.

http://cosmiclog.msn...CvDOpZdwI.tweet

SirEvan

I hate how sad our spaceflight has become.... you'd think by now we'd be cruisin around the universe and stuff and having awesome tech... but nope still depressing. bleh.

Reality check.. we will most likely NEVER cruise around the universe. Even if we could travel at the speed of light, it would take years to get to the next galaxies over...let alone across the universe, ala star-gate. Yes, wormholes and other phenomena might shorten the trip, but we're thousands of years away from even finding one, let alone keeping it stable enough to fly through. With the loss of the US space program, we'll likely never leave this planet.

Jason S.

what I love is how Foxnews is playing this off as an OMG WASTING MONEY AND RUSSIANS!!!!!! thing, when the original thing wasn't even designed to last that long, heck fox makes it sound like it should be up there for 50yrs at least or something

i thought that too - FoxNews being stereotypical americans saying "russians are crazy and 3rd world country and the US is the best! rar!"

DocM

Reagan was correct when he said "Trust, but verify."

While we can have a working and trade relationship with Russia trust is going to take a while. The path to them going autocratic again will remain short until the previously controlling generations are gone or too old to do anything.

Even without this the US needs its own up to date or better space capabilities for both economic and strateigic reasons.

spudtrooper

I went into that on page 2 of this thread, but basically to keep the Shuttle going past its projected end date of the early 90's. This to keep jobs in states with NASA centers and congressional districts/states with Shuttle contractors.

Without either we could have moved on to more economical and capable systems; HL-20 (Dream Chaser), HL-40 (bigger) or Venture Star transports, Bigelow-style station modules, NAUTILUS class exploration vehicles, erc. 10-20 years sooner.

Whats with all this hindsight stuff? We're just ****ing in the wind about what could have been done, when the reality is, no matter what you think could have happened, a lot of great technology has come from our Shuttle and Space Stations. No, they weren't the best ideas. Yes, they had problems, but soooo what :) Do you have to politicize everything? The government contractors working on current space technologies are just as guilty, if not more so, in milking the tax payers for all their worth and congressional critters are being invoked in full force to give commercial flight special privilidge today so reality is, if you want to politicize space and science then at least be fair across the spectrum.

Hubble was a lot of money but it was worth every penny, even if the entire shuttle program was developed just to see that project to fruition. Everything else was just icing on the cake.

oceanmotion

It wasn't going to last forever. Out with the old, in with the new. They can't repeat the shuttle. Patch work only goes so far and costs you more in the long run. Be innovative and push Space exploration further. I can't wait to see what new stuff they will be using.