Windows Phone hardware update packages begin rolling out

George P

number of Windows Phone hardware specific updates began rolling out on Wednesday.

WinRumors readers have reported device specific updates for the HTC Mozart, LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Omnia 7. Microsoft previously promised that updates would begin rolling out ?soon? in a blog post earlier this week. The updates will improve battery life, call clarity and touch responsiveness etc. The updates are device specific and will improve certain functions of devices. Not every device will receive an update however.

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-phone-hardware-update-packages-begin-rolling-out/?utm_campaign=twitterwp&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

lalalawawawa

Got anything for your Optimus 7?

primexx

hmm this sounds good! can't wait to get it.

primexx

I got an updated called "HTC Update", wonder if this is Microsoft's update named that, or if this is a coincidental update from HTC. I'm guessing the former since it's taking quite a while to complete.

161821548.png

cleverclogs

Are these going to be blocked by the carrier? I really REALLY hope not.

alexalex

Isn't this a beginning of WP7 fragmentation ? some devices have some code others don't ? I though the OS is the same on every device and not device specific.

• Like 1
primexx

Isn't this a beginning of WP7 fragmentation ? some devices have some code others don't ?

I would guess that this is a level below the software development layer.

edit: didn't notice much difference aside from AP mobile and Facebook apps being slightly less laggy.

edit 2: the OS version stayed the same but some of the firmware versions look like they've changed.

greenwizard88

Isn't this a beginning of WP7 fragmentation ? some devices have some code others don't ? I though the OS is the same on every device and not device specific.

This sounds more like a driver update than a software version update.

George P

Exactly! Ignore him, he often just spits out FUD when it comes to MS, all these are are hardware driver/firmware updates and NOT OS or software updates. There is NO fragmentation going on here.

• Like 3
lalalawawawa

Anything for the Optimus 7? :)

articuno1au

I got an updated called "HTC Update", wonder if this is Microsoft's update named that, or if this is a coincidental update from HTC. I'm guessing the former since it's taking quite a while to complete.

161821548.png

Is that an HTC Trophy/Sparc? Hope so.. I has one :D

Are these going to be blocked by the carrier? I really REALLY hope not.

I very much doubt it.

No, it's a firmware and device update. This is updating the phones firmware layer and the phones wireless chipset interface.

The result is normally much improved quality of calls (due to better signal and or encoding), better battery life due to better optimisation/power management and more responsive hardware for the same reason as battery life.

Troll elsewhere please :)

Bingo!

Plox for my phone nao?

• Like 1
~Johnny

Is that an HTC Trophy/Sparc? Hope so.. I has one :D

That is an HTC Mozart =P

• Like 1
Farchord

I got an LG Optimus 7, no specific update yet.

DaveLegg

There's also a firmware update (which I assume is what these are also) rolling out from Dell for the Venue Pro.

M_Lyons10

Does anyone know if these updates are coming to the HTC Trophy? I was just curious, as I haven't seen anything online...

George P

There doesn't seem to be any specifics as to who does and to which devices. Like, I have a LG optimus 7 and I haven't gotten any update so far but I know some others with a branded (mine is unbranded/unlocked) have. Chalk it up to different respins of the same device, small firmware versions here and there.

Farchord

My LG Optimus 7 is updating atm, LG Update it says. It didnt show until I rebranded the device, I unbranded it before, guess that wasn't the best idea...

Farchord

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it feels snappier....

But GOSH DARN the back of it was BURNING after the update!!! I mean literally! Can't touch it for more than 5 seconds!

Cooled down now, but wow this phone can get warm

George P

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it feels snappier....

But GOSH DARN the back of it was BURNING after the update!!! I mean literally! Can't touch it for more than 5 seconds!

Cooled down now, but wow this phone can get warm

Ya, I've noticed it can get a bit hot when connected for a long time to usb, probably running at max speed all the time because it's not worried about battery etc.

norseman

No Focus firmware update then I take it?

George P

More Windows Phone hardware updates being rolled out

Microsoft is planning to release more Windows Phone hardware specific updates shortly.

The software giant started rolling out specific device updates last week and has now promised more in the coming days. Updates for the HTC Mozart, LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Omnia 7 began rolling out on July 20. The updates will improve battery life, call clarity and touch responsiveness etc. The updates are device specific and will improve certain functions of devices. Not every device will receive an update however. ?Yesterday we started delivering another round of hardware-specific updates to Windows Phones around the world,? said Microsoft?s Eric Hautala in a blog post on Thursday. ?These are being sent to specific models?not every phone?and are designed to make targeted improvements to things like battery life, call clarity, or touch responsiveness, depending on the model.?

BajiRav

No Focus firmware update then I take it?

Yup, focus 1.4 was the last update before mango. Focus 1.3 won't get the security update.

M_Lyons10

More Windows Phone hardware updates being rolled out

Microsoft is planning to release more Windows Phone hardware specific updates shortly.

The software giant started rolling out specific device updates last week and has now promised more in the coming days. Updates for the HTC Mozart, LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Omnia 7 began rolling out on July 20. The updates will improve battery life, call clarity and touch responsiveness etc. The updates are device specific and will improve certain functions of devices. Not every device will receive an update however. ?Yesterday we started delivering another round of hardware-specific updates to Windows Phones around the world,? said Microsoft?s Eric Hautala in a blog post on Thursday. ?These are being sent to specific models?not every phone?and are designed to make targeted improvements to things like battery life, call clarity, or touch responsiveness, depending on the model.?

Interesting. I'm really curious if the Trophy's gonna get an update or not. I guess not all phones are going to get an update... It seems like HTC has been pushing updates to most of their devices though.

primexx

does that mean there's a second update to those already updated, or that there's more updates for other phones?

George P

Joining the chorus of devices receiving firmware updates, the HTC 7 Trophy on Vodafone is now also seeing an update being pushed out. Microsoft has recently said the updates being pushed out will address hardware related issues like battery life, touch responsiveness and call quality.

The update precedes the Windows Phone 7 Mango update, which is expected to arrive in Q3 2011.

http://wmpoweruser.com/htc-7-trophy-on-vodafone-getting-firmware-update-pushed-out/