'Resistance 3' Has Turned Me Around On A Series I Never Liked

resistance3_convert.jpg

There are plenty of people who enjoyed "Resistance: Fall of Man." There are admittedly fewer who enjoyed "Resistance 2." But it's safe to say I am in neither of those groups. They're not bad games, mind you, but they never felt like anything much more than passable shooters. Shooters attempting to match the quality of games like "Halo" and "Call of Duty," but never quite making it.

So it was with trepidation that I began playing the first few levels of "Resistance 3" on a preview build Sony sent over. And guess what? I'm suddenly on board.

There's something almost intangible about why I like "Resistance 3" so much more than I did the first two games. I'm still fighting the same aliens, with most of the same weapons, in familiar, post-alien invasion settings. But there's something crunchier going on here. Someone that discourages me from setting the controller down.

The most obvious culprits are the revised weapons. Although series mainstays like the Bullseye SMG, the Auger rifle and the Rossmore shotgun have returned, they've been seriously tweaked. The Bullseye for one, actually feels powerful when fired. It used to feel more like the laughable Needler from "Halo," but now it feels like that auto-targetting gun from "The Fifth Element." The same can be said about all the weapons, both returning and new. They all seem to pack more of a punch.

resistnace3_gameplay.jpg

The other major improvement to the weapons is experience. Insomniac Games made a name for itself with the "Ratchet & Clank" series, which has been doing weapon experience for years. Now they've finally brought the concept to "Resistance 3." Basically the more you use a weapon, the more experience you earn for that weapon. Level it up and you'll unlock new abilities for that weapon. Your assault rifle might get a long-range scope or your sniper rifle might sear through multiple targets at once. It encourages you to mix and match your playstyle, but never penalizes you for sticking with what you like.

But, perhaps the most obvious reason for my new-found attraction to "Resistance 3" is how much fun it is. The revised weapons make every encounter (at least in the first few levels) a blast to play through. You know it's a good sign when you're actually looking forward to your next enemy encounter, rather than dreading it. Very few shooters have been able to pull this off as well as Insomniac has.

There's plenty more to like. The visuals are absolutely stunning and the world is far more personal and interesting than any of the "Resistance" games before it. And this is only after playing for a couple hours.

I'll gladly admit that I've never looked to the PS3 as a platform leading the way for FPS games. With "Resistance 3," though, Xbox fans are going to have plenty to be jealous about when the game launches in September.

Source: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/07/29/resistance-3-has-turned-me-around-on-a-series-i-never-liked/

i liked R1 - nothing great

played 1/2 of R2 - couldnt get into it

would like to play R3 when it's on sale for like $10 :p but honestly it just looks like more of the same.

I could never like the first 2 resistances. Just felt too generic. But I actually have hope for the 3rd. Looks a lot like half life with the atmosphere. But something about it just looks exciting.

I could never like the first 2 resistances. Just felt too generic. But I actually have hope for the 3rd. Looks a lot like half life with the atmosphere. But something about it just looks exciting.

Same here, I never even finished 2. It wasn't a bad game, but just didn't have anything that made it really stand out to me. Hopefully 3 is an improvement.

Considering the map is suppose to be Glamorgan, Wales, there is a serious lack of sheep, though I would have accepted alien mutated sheep too. :rofl:

Though saying these places are around the world doesn't mean much when it looks like a random collection of wooden buildings in area that is seemingly in no way recognisable, lol.

Looks alright though, I'll buy it regardless but it looks like nothing special really, I don't see this taking anyone away from any of the bigger games coming out later this year in the MP compartment, especially considering it has stepped back a little into a more typical MP.

Single Player is where I will be though. :p

Is that why the socom resistance beta codes arent working as well? Or are those for a later date?

Nah it's a code for the closed beta, and it's working now :)

what's not to like about the Resistance games? decent alien invasion story, good art, challenging action, nice combination of Half Life and COD type mood and gameplay. maybe not the best thing since sliced bread, but defo good games. i like the fact R3 is just over a month away! need to finish R2 quick.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first game, though every time I played it through it was generally in co-op with a friend. The 2nd one I had a harder time getting into, though with the 3rd coming out I finally sat down a week or two ago and finished it off. While not a bad game, it just didn't get me hooked like the first game had.

Will definitely be picking this one up at some point here, though it may not be until closer to the christmas holidays. Having moved and needing to buy furniture is limiting my gaming budget and I'll need to pick up the God of War series that's launching around the same time first.

Now if only we can get a controller that has the left stick in the correct place.

I hate the stick placement on the DS3.