It's here!

Really nice new look!!! but the scroll is slow as hell in Chrome, perfect in IE9 though.

I guess it's not neowin's fault, but chrome is my default browser... so it bothers.

I find the scrolling better with this design in firefox.

I went to the movies I come back and neowin is all different....That's the signpost up ahead ? your next stop, the Twilight Zone :s

I got the new Neowin page to look widescreen using this .. Check it:

blabla image

I myself use the 95% version of that as i like the small breathing space on the sides.

I understand choice is a good thing but for me it seems a waste of a 24" 1080p monitor to put 1 browser up in full screen taking up the whole screen when i could put 2 side by side pages in that much width and scroll them seperately? :blink:

To each their own though.

I myself use the 95% version of that as i like the small breathing space on the sides.

I actually like that one better :D

It's nice but there are way too many tool tips.. and they are black, nothing else on the page is black

hovering around with the mouse they are popping up all over place it looks very messy and no one will even read them, most people will know what they are clicking on.

Settings => 'customise site settings'

0 Comments => 'view 0 comments' ..why?

Why not change it to 'site settings' and remove the tooltip.

597969294.jpg

a tooltip and an overlay drop down, really?

Apart from that i like it, it is a little blog like and will take a bit of getting used to. it certainly is more modern but the previous design had something more about it, it was very unique and well put together.

wow the 95% mod really adds a different feel to neowin! I like it.

There is literally only one thing I do not like, and that is the capital N on the Neowin logo. Just does not look right.

Summary from another thread:

Generally nice except

- No Helvetica (as far as I can see)

- Maybe too much white, just looks a bit bare

- Removing the 'in Software' updates should remove the articles altogether, I don't need to hear about minor Chrome dev or anti-malware program updates. Don't these programs have automatic updaters?

First time I've used a 'dark' theme on Neowin since I joined, but I've put on Darkside (with Tahoma font and background tile 1) and it's quite nice :)

Though I do miss the 'wide' button that was there once upon a time, everything seems a bit narrow and cluttered. Slightly smaller headline pictures and bigger headline text would be a good start I think.

597969294.jpg

a tooltip and an overlay drop down, really?

While I see where you're coming from on a lot of the tooltips, I think the tooltip on that is useful - a lot of people have asked us in the past how to get to their profile because it wasn't obvious enough.

Common Neowin, the new style is nice but I just want to see all the news in chronological order of posting like it used to be. I don't care if it is all moved into categories, just give an option to see everything as was before.

Common Neowin, the new style is nice but I just want to see all the news in chronological order of posting like it used to be. I don't care if it is all moved into categories, just give an option to see everything as was before.

What exactly do you mean? The news is still displayed by the date it was posted most of the time - occasionally an updated news story will be bumped, but the news is normally displayed by date posted...

So this is Neowin's jump into HTML5. The overall design looks great, but that is just my opinion.

Scrolling is horrible with CPU spikes in Chrome 14.0.835.8 dev-m and navigation menus do not stay open. Scrolling is smooth in Waterfox 5.0 (64-bit Firefox). Perhaps this is a hardware acceleration issue in Chrome, or...? (see hardware setup in sig)

Yeah I know, I too use a 1920x1080 display.

However, if you stretch it out too much, paragraphs of news quickly become very difficult to read across a huge pixel width. This is why a lot sites, including Neowin, still use ~600px as their content width

I don't see why people have their browsers maximized when there is so much wasted horizontal space on most websites.

It's not? :blink:

Changes I'd like to see:

1. An option to disable the "in Software/Gaming" short news alerts, without them being replaced with the proper "big news alerts". There's no need to go overboard in trying to highlight the Gaming and Software categories. We already have "Latest in Gaming/Software" sections on the right-hand side anyway.

2. An option to disable all tooltips.

3. Removal of the "About the Author" section in articles. Again, it's simply over-the-top.

4. A border around the "number of comments" box on the front page, just so that it stands out a bit more.

5. A darker colour for the actual body of text in the articles.

6. The hover menu on "Forum" (next to "News") has subsections - "Forums" and "Blogs". Renaming "Forums" to "Posts" or "Recent Posts" etc would make more sense in my opinion (well more than Forum -> Forums). Alternatively, just have "Forum" as a link to the forums as recent posts and blog entries are already located on the right-hand side anyway.

7. A better favicon. The full logo (not just the "N" bit but also the white circle border) would look nicer.

Apart from the above, I feel that the comments could stand out a bit more and also if the RSS logos were changed to their traditional orange colour it would liven the front page and hover menus up a bit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that "Tip Us!" could have a better placement. It feels too prominent in its current location.

I don't see why people have their browsers maximized when there is so much wasted horizontal space on most websites.

Probably some weirdos, like me, use the browser maximized on a separate screen in portrait mode. :D

Was wondering why people were complaining about choppy scrolling - all smooth on this end. For scrolling: IE is okay, Firefox is a bit better, Opera is great. The latest Chrome dev build is the odd one out.

Another thing, font color is the same exact color as Atlas, but there is antialias forced for webkit users. Which can make it look lighter. I will remove this when I have time to update it.

Also, if you're using a dev version of chrome, maybe blame the browser first ;)