It's here!

Can increase the width maybe 8 more pixels. Keep in mind, a lot of netbook/ipad users so we have to design for 1024x768. Its also the SAME WIDTH as Atlas, and the version before that.

instead of having a set width, why not have a set padding for the width like the forums are?

or a set percentage. I have that with my blogspot CSS as well as my other site.

The default theme is wayyy too bright. It hurts my eyes. I know some websites are mostly white, but somehow those websites don't hurt my eyes as much. I can't explain why. It forces me to switch to darkside and I am not a fan of dark themes myself.

Also, I think it looks very messy now. Things look really cramp for some reason. I think the inspirations from Metro plays a big role in creating a feeling that the page is cramped and messy... I'm not saying Metro itself is messy, but more like the implementation of some Metro principles are not well done. The headlines section just looks like something written in MS Word, not in a website, and I think that's largely due to the attempt to make the layout minimalistic, which is not well-executed.

Also, too many tooltips and animations. It gets annoying.

minimalist websites are the hardest to pull off. Many fail at it. Also with high information density sites like this one it makes it look more overwhelming. I like the darkside layout becuase it makes it easy on the eyes and for high information densities dark makes it easier to read and it's soothing on the eyes.

kinda like a HUGE difference between a messy room with dark colors and accents vs a room with light colors and accents. you notice the clutter more with the light room and it stands out more.

Your eyes need a comfort to be able to take in the information as well.

If I read things I memorize them better if I read it on a dark theme than a white theme. I haven't quite put my finger on that yet, but for some reason it works that way for me and a good bit of others.

While I see where you're coming from on a lot of the tooltips, I think the tooltip on that is useful - a lot of people have asked us in the past how to get to their profile because it wasn't obvious enough.

Thats fair enough then, but they do need toning down a bit.. they are on almost everything.

Apart from that it's really growing on me :)

But I am in love with the darkside theme my hubby even liked it!!!

I think the devs did a great job with the new design. It's more aesthetically-pleasing than the previous design and it has a modernized feel to it. I'd like to thank the devs involved for putting it all together and making sure the bugs are squashed. Good job! (Y)

Right now, the only thing I dislike is the inconsistency between the front page and the forums. The earlier the new forum skin is made live, the better. :p

i like the design mainly, but i dont like that its the thinnest site i've seen in a site. make it wider!

Very nice, modern, professional look to it, nice work!

I especially like Darkside with tile #2

Only one problem though, which others have brought to attention, you need to change the neowin logo "N" back to lowercase, it just looks so much better.

Another note here. You should make the images for the theme selection solid backgrounds with expanding text on hover rather than just a static image, this should hold the text's sharpness when hovering.

I love the new look. Have been visiting Neowin for quite a while, and this is the best it have ever looked in my opinion :)

I've long since forsaken keeping my browser maximized. Even with my puny 1920x1080 screen, keeping the window to the left side, and about the width of Neowin leaves so much for the right side. I don't mind the skinniness of it one bit.

What I'd like to repeat in support of many in this thread, however, is that everything looks very scrunched and starved of space as opposed to the last layout. Which is kind of weird since it's the exact same content, too.

For instance, removal of the images on top to replace it with a *daily* featured article would look quite a bit better, and serve a better function. I'm pretty sure that's the reason most seem to think that the news doesn't stand out nearly as well as before.

Maybe the same person designed both :p

Holly hell, I just noticed winrumors now looks exactly the same as neowin... Wait is it neowin that looks like winrumors... :wacko: :ninja:

Yes, my immediate thoughts were, it's very WinRumors and also, Atlas wasn't broke, why fix it? I thought Atlas was the best front page theme to date. Maybe give us a chance to select it as custom front page for registered members?

Holly hell, I just noticed winrumors now looks exactly the same as neowin... Wait is it neowin that looks like winrumors... :wacko: :ninja:

Just popped on winrumors and I was aghast!!! it looked the same!

I hope to grow to like it like others have said, but as of right now I do not think I will be visiting daily anymore.

The images takeing up more room on the article preview and the lack of content compaired to the old site is not to my liking.

The fact that it looks unprofessional like a wordpress template does live up to your logo, but Ive come to expect more from neowin. The attached image shows all the lost space that used to be used.

2lxh0k5.png

I hope some of this can be addressed

I don't like the images being first. It detracts from the headlines and honestly, it doesn't really grab me like before. Also, I recall this look being similar on the mobile version and I turned that off on my Blackberry. Is there a page option where the images are on the right?