It's here!

To the people whining that the site looks more like a blog now, why is that a bad thing there are lots of 'blog' sites that are the leaders in their category like Engadget and Joystiq.

I like what KeR designed there.

Also, I think it is time to incorporate an ability for articles to show without having to refresh the page. I know BBC have been doing it for quite some time with their live commentaries. Sort of pushing them to users instead of visitors having to pull them from the server via a manual refresh.

Is this site kicking out Chromium support now then? I just tested and it's better in Chrome but unusable in Chromium, I use Chromium as a part-daily browser due to a bug-fix that's not present in Chrome yet and this is unusable. Goodbye Neowin I must say if it's not fixed.

No, there's just a small number of bugs that need to be ironed out, tis all.

Also, I think it is time to incorporate an ability for articles to show without having to refresh the page. I know BBC have been doing it for quite some time with their live commentaries. Sort of pushing them to users instead of visitors having to pull them from the server via a manual refresh.

Believe me, we would love to do that, but it simply comes down to a matter of revenue. If we load the content in via AJAX, then it doesn't count as another page view, and we end up losing out massively in terms of income from the ad providers. When they get around to providing a solution to that (believe me, I keep bugging them), we'll implement more of that stuff for sure.

To the people whining that the site looks more like a blog now, why is that a bad thing there are lots of 'blog' sites that are the leaders in their category like Engadget and Joystiq.

Because the blog look just doesn't look very professional. They are literally " a dime a dozen" these days. And I took Engadget off my bookmarks months ago and Joystiq, while still there, I hardly visit outside of the occasional review/preview. I could literally find a plethora of WordPress themes that look almost exactly like this or can easily be made to look like this through built-in options in 5-10 minutes...the old neowin at least looked...more refined.

So the way it looks changes the content?

Im confused, you are finding a new news site not because the news articles have changed but because how they are presented???????????????

No, there's just a small number of bugs that need to be ironed out, tis all.

And will they be fixed soon? I need to stay on Chromium due to the bug fix not being on Chrome for a few more weeks and this is torture even trying to read articles is a pain as the scrolling is painfully slow. The only thing that's fine is the forums.

Tip as in tip us about a news article.

Oh. I went to the page and it was about contacting Neowin. Only in the combobox did it say anything about a news tip. You might want to rewrite that contact page a bit.

I can confirm that. I unticked the quick story or whatever box (on the painfully slow site) and all it did is change the storys about Chrome and that to ones with icons.

I switched back the the light one for a while and it is hard to read some things. Ker's version is a little better but I don't like too much grey.

At least the darkside one is nice though.

Just going to have to wait for the black theme.

---

Does Neowin follow user feedback? We've given tons of feedback, and nothing has been done so far, same applies for previous theme changes.

I don't come to Neowin because of its look, but I will say that it is good, and definitely better than Techcrunch's redesign.

Does Neowin follow user feedback? We've given tons of feedback, and nothing has been done so far, same applies for previous theme changes.

Seems like alienating your half your userbase with a ****ty design and not listening to feedback is the norm with websites these days.

Here's how I would fix the front page:

Snip!

The text at the top right with "Normal", "Headlines" and "Settings" appear to look different as the "Headlines" text is regular and the other 2 are bold. Also, the other things you'd like to see changes make no sense to be honest. "Latest news" and the RSS link actually serve for a purpose in the spot they're in now. Moving them above the tiles would break their function as the image above it isn't part of the latest news but they just show random news articles.

They've also stated their reasoning to why "in Games" and "in Software" appear; to give those pages more exposure.

The "Get involved" image actually isn't pointless as it invites lurkers and new members to become part of the forum. Might be pointless to you, but not to newcomers.

Your image just shows a personal preference really. It doesn't show any possible improvements, IMO.

Seems like alienating your half your userbase with a ****ty design and not listening to feedback is the norm with websites these days.

We do listen to feedback, there is evidence oif this by the amount of staff replies to this thread.

When we released Atlas, half of the people commenting on it "hated" it too, because you can't please everyone.

Well I thought the developers were working to keep the site up and running for the past 12 hours while it was very slow (thanks DaveLegg for your behind-the-scenes efforts), not trying to adjust the theme they just released

Suggestion: the white popup things when highlight over logo and links make the appear time a bit longer so when you glance over your mouse it does not appear

suggestion: the black popup when you highlight over forums / blog est , make the appear time a bit longer (same reason)

Bug : darkside theme when you highlight links in google chrome 13 the text colour is the same as background

Idea : ability to hide sections of the website like the 3 news snipits at the top , social stuff , tag wall , we recommend , hide news from apple est if people don't want it.

The "Get involved" image actually isn't pointless as it invites lurkers and new members to become part of the forum. Might be pointless to you, but not to newcomers.

Your image just shows a personal preference really. It doesn't show any possible improvements, IMO.

I suppose we could hide that for people that are logged in :)