Considering WP7

Hey guys,

I'm on Verizon, and currently have a Droid Eris.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, and was considering getting the HTC Trophy (which I can get for $50). I've been wanting a WP7 for a while now, however I'm curious if anyone has experience with this phone. The user reviews on Verizon's website are high (4.5 stars).

My Eris is ok, but the hardware is very limited (can't play angry birds etc.) and I don't want to get another gimped phone. Does the Trophy have reasonable power to handle most apps? Will it support the new Mango upgrade I keep hearing about?

I'm not sure if Verizon will be adding any new WP7 phones to their line up, so I'm not sure if I should wait or go with the Trophy....

Any thoughts?

Hey guys,

I'm on Verizon, and currently have a Droid Eris.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, and was considering getting the HTC Trophy (which I can get for $50). I've been wanting a WP7 for a while now, however I'm curious if anyone has experience with this phone. The user reviews on Verizon's website are high (4.5 stars).

My Eris is ok, but the hardware is very limited (can't play angry birds etc.) and I don't want to get another gimped phone. Does the Trophy have reasonable power to handle most apps? Will it support the new Mango upgrade I keep hearing about?

I'm not sure if Verizon will be adding any new WP7 phones to their line up, so I'm not sure if I should wait or go with the Trophy....

Any thoughts?

Aside from a smaller screen the Trophy has the same processor, the 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon, that my HD7 has but I'm not sure about storage capacity. That's the best thing about WP7, Microsoft set minimum specifications but manufacturers can add or upgrade the hardware from those minimum specs. This means that there's consistancy in performance across all WP7 devices.

I would reccomend WP7. It's a really nice mobile OS, one of my friends have a wp7 phone and he loves it. The only bad thing, over here in Denmark at least, is that you can't use Xbox Live, Marketplace etc. before Mango comes out. Plus there is no danish dictionary in it either. That's why I went for an iPhone 4 instead.

My partner and I both each have an HTC Arrive (Sprint) and we love them, very glad we chose WP7 because it's fast and quite easy to use. The WP7 ecosystem is still developing, but so far we don't feel like we're missing out on anything, and anyway I'm sure that once we get Mango things will really start to take off for this platform.

Microsoft says all phones that run WP7 now will be able to run Mango and will receive the update, so don't let that worry you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I just ordered the HTC Trophy, and the best part is, it was free!

Really looking forward to getting the phone =-D

I'm glad to hear such great feedback. I used to have a Zune HD back in the day, and loved the interface. I'm excited to be able to use the Zune service again.

I moved from a Droid Incredible (which was a fantastic phone) to the Trophy. I really can't wait for Mango, because in it's current state, NoDo is laughable as a smartphone OS. The games and apps are great, but the lack of simplistic features (ex: customizable ringtones) makes it worse than Android for now.

Anyways, the Trophy is a great phone, good build quality, great speakers, world phone capable, great battery life (I get 2 days with 2 email accounts pushing every 15 mins). The only thing I can complain about is the mechanism for the battery door - it just never feels tight.

I moved from a Droid Incredible (which was a fantastic phone) to the Trophy. I really can't wait for Mango, because in it's current state, NoDo is laughable as a smartphone OS. The games and apps are great, but the lack of simplistic features (ex: customizable ringtones) makes it worse than Android for now.

Anyways, the Trophy is a great phone, good build quality, great speakers, world phone capable, great battery life (I get 2 days with 2 email accounts pushing every 15 mins). The only thing I can complain about is the mechanism for the battery door - it just never feels tight.

Thanks for the informative feedback!

I love my HD7 :)

Same here. Running the 7712 build of Mango, and can't wait to see what Microsoft adds to the OS after this. I just hope more developers get on board with good apps. There are quite a few areas where they are lacking.

I have a Samsung Focus on AT&T and after doing it all on iOS and toying with Android for many months, I was weary. It took me a month to take the plunge, and I'm glad I did it!

I am running on Mango 7712 at the moment, and things are smooth and so in place. Good luck with your phone!

• Like 1

I have had the Trophy since day 1 when it was released by Verizon and love it. I have had no issues at all, just waiting for Mango now. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

As a WP7 owner I can recommend it. The only MAJOR thing missing is WhatsApp.

WhatsApp has been announced :)

I just wish my HTC Arrive had an OLED screen. It's the only thing the phone is missing for what I want.

I love my Omnia 7 (uk). It's basically a Samsung Galaxy S but with a better OS.

I love my Omnia 7 too!!!!!!! and no.. It looks and feels times better than the Galaxy S. :) phone design means a lot to me and Omnia 7 wins here!

and about WP7. I have Mango 7122 loaded and ill just say you are going to love it!.

More so when applications will support multitasking. Right now they just load again and dont resume because they dont support multitasking. Many of them.

But the facebook live intergration is pretty neat!.

Overall. A great device for socializing :p if thats the right word.

A little too simple though. Id wish some advanced settings for WiFi and Data Network Setting and such. But they are all automatic. Or i guess ill have to enter the registry to tweak them.

Oh and i point!..

GET A PHONE WITH AMOLED!!..

the OS is built for it!.. my screen blends with the bezel!.. mostly its the black theme. So the blacks are REALLY BLACK!.. The difference is huge. It also saves battery.

Awesome, do you have a source?

Evidently the source I was viewing may have been premature. They've announced that they're working on C# dev at the moment, which would be Windows Phone, but they haven't assigned a date as of yet.