How Often Do You Clean Your BBQ Grill?

Grill Cleaning Poll  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How Often Do You Clean Your Grill?

• Clean? Really? (Never)
    • I only scrape off the burnt stuff
    • Everytime before I grill out
    • Once a week
    • Every other time I grill out
    • Another interval not covered (Please discuss)

I just got my first BBQ grill a month ago (I got a Char-Griller Duo S-5050 that does both propane and charcoal). I put it together on Thursday and so far I've used it twice (yesterday and about 20mins ago, cooking a few burgers and smoked sausage). From my brief experience, this is an awesome grill, and well worth the money. After putting it together, I washed the grilling grates before the first time I used it, but have not cleaned it since (other than running a grill brush over it to scrape off some burnt stuff). I've seen that some people never clean their grills (it's pretty much sanitized as soon as the fire hits it anyway), but that got me thinking, how often do you all clean your grills?

what do you mean by clean it? I run a grill brush over it after everytime i use it. I keep a bbq cover on it when not in use.

About once a month i will take the grates off and get all the stuff off the inside.

You're not supposed to "clean" your grill. You're just supposed to brush off anything sticking to the grill surface, wait for it to cool, remove the ashes at the bottom, then close it and cover it with a tarp.

Grills are supposed to be cleaned before you use em, not after. And yeah, like Worth said, just brush it off.

If it's a gas grill, the kind that don't "leak" you can use water with vinager before brushing, but those aren't the outdoor kind.

Yep, as others have already stated, I clean it with a Grill Brush every single time after use. I myself happen to love The Grill Daddy, but you can achieve the same affect with a regular grill brush and a spray bottle filled with water, just nice to have both in one.

I actually also own several different grill brushes, that I use depending on what I just cooked, etc. I also have one that's sole purpose is just to clean the hard to reach sides of the grill bars as well.

Actually, just easier to show what I normally use...

For the sides...

41OLtXCZx6L._AA300_.jpg

For most all other cleaning, the Grill Daddy Pro

21cnOk%2B1R8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then I just have a $5 dollar one that I use for the really sticky stuff, usually stuff that is marinated.

Now there is definitely a school of thought that leaving some residual food on your grill can and usually does indeed add some flavor to whatever you grill on it next, but I take my grilling pretty damn seriously, and get into some pretty eloborate grilling techniques as well, so I personally prefer a nice, clean grill 95% of the time. The residuals are only good for the classics like hot dogs, hamburgers, and some grilled BBQ chicken.

My family has had the same BBQ for 8 years and it's still perfectly fine. We clean it after every use and store it in the garage to keep it dry when we aren't using it. Only cost my dad ?17 :p

I do a quick brush of the grates after I fire it up to cook about 5 mins after its around 500degree's at which it's heated everything enough to where it should just fall off into the catch below.

I do 3 major cleanings of it every year. Once in the early spring before main cooking season, once in the middle of the summer (I may skip this if I don't cook much since last clean) but it does get cleaned again in the late fall November time so while it sits it doesn't have all that junk inside it attracting stuff like mice and what not.

I clean it every time before I use it.

Sometimes after, too.

It?s a matter of 10-20 seconds, really? I better waste this and continue being healthy :p

Edit : I mean, I use my brush to clean the grill all the time. I don?t actually wash the grill every time with water and chemical products.

Cleaned out everytime after we use the grill (share the house with 3 other roommates) - we have been bbq'ing every day possible.

I do a quick brush of the grates after I fire it up to cook about 5 mins after its around 500degree's at which it's heated everything enough to where it should just fall off into the catch below.

I do 3 major cleanings of it every year. Once in the early spring before main cooking season, once in the middle of the summer (I may skip this if I don't cook much since last clean) but it does get cleaned again in the late fall November time so while it sits it doesn't have all that junk inside it attracting stuff like mice and what not.

About the same here.

On my LP gas one I clean the grates before (once it's up to temp) and after use with a stainless steel brush. Major cleaning (no chemicals though) with the pressure washer on a low setting at the start and end of grilling season.

I clean mine with fire.

Seriously, all you need to do is scrape the burnt stuff off each time before you grill with a wire brush. The rest, the intense heat will take care of.

I scrape off the worst of it after grilling but I do a more proper cleaning while it is heating up and prior to use.

This usually involves a lot of "ow"s.

I built a firepit that I grill everything on out of firebrick and some stainless steel mesh. I use it for everything, mix a little hickory with charcoal and start it with a gas burner I built in it, cleaning it I just pop the grate off, hit it with a pressure washer, and scrape the carbon crap out with a cheap set of fireplace tools.

I love this pit, its paid for itself over the years