How to get new IP?

Not sure if this is possible but I will try:

I have Cablevision (Optimum Online) and want to get a new IP. I have a cable modem and cisco router that I am using. Is there a way to change my IP address without any problems?

It might work to change the MAC address on the router. Assuming the cable is Wall>Cable Modem>Router. Write down the existing one first, so you can change it back if necessary. Some cable companies lock you to that one MAC address, and if you get a new 'computer' you have to call them to authorize it. However, the company I have I can change my public facing IP using this method without issue.

Another idea I've heard of but never tried is to release the binding then leave your cable modem off for at least 24 hours. Once the lease renewal happens you should be bumped onto a new IP addy but I don't think it will force a switch while your connected.

I know rebooting doesn't work. I have turned my cable modem off for a few minutes but still the same IP.

I would leave my cable modem off for 24 hours but it is directly connected to my house phone which I need.

You can change your IP address by changing the MAC address (via cloning one or just changing one number) on your router and then rebooting the modem. Your lease from OOL is 48hrs so you'd need to do it for that long (or check the remaining lease amount in the cisco router status page) to see how long till it expires. If it's only 6hrs or so then unplugging it for that long will also do the trick. Generally just cloning your PC MAC address (using the router admin page) then rebooting the modem will do it right away.

You have a nice IP address though and seems you've had it for a while so why would you want to change it i guess?

Switch off the Modem and router and reboot after a minute. that should give you a new IP.

My ISP let me change it.

10 sec should be enough.

10 sec should be enough.

It shouldn't be i guess, maybe on DSL where you (can) disconnect/connect all the time or something? On a Cable connection, it's an always on connection so you are assigned an IP via DHCP for 48hrs at a time. As long as your HFC MAC (cable modem MAC) doesn't change as well as the first MAC address behind the modem (PC/Router) then you'll always get the same IP address till the DHCP lease expires. This is how it works on private LANs as well (wireless PC connecting to a router). If the CMTS (ISP "router) gets a DHCP request from your modem which passes along it's MAC aswell as the MAC it's associated with, it will just reissue the same IP address again instead of swapping around in the pool of IP address constantly.

So unless the DHCP is set to 1minute leases, it should take longer than 1minute to renew.

the best way is as already said to change the MAC Address of the router. Disconnecting the cable modem not always works, even when it is disconnected for more time than the lease time. If you ISP network as more ips than clients (witch almost all ISP have) when you reconnect the CMTS will check for the last ip you've had, and if it not been given to another client it will be given to you again.

So go for the clone mac address option.

As stated change the mac of the wan interface of the router, reboot your modem then connect your router to the modem. Clone feature of most routers is easy way to do this.

But I personally see no reason why you should want to do such a thing? Other than trying to circumvent some IP block somewhere..

It shouldn't be i guess, maybe on DSL where you (can) disconnect/connect all the time or something? On a Cable connection, it's an always on connection so you are assigned an IP via DHCP for 48hrs at a time. As long as your HFC MAC (cable modem MAC) doesn't change as well as the first MAC address behind the modem (PC/Router) then you'll always get the same IP address till the DHCP lease expires. This is how it works on private LANs as well (wireless PC connecting to a router). If the CMTS (ISP "router) gets a DHCP request from your modem which passes along it's MAC aswell as the MAC it's associated with, it will just reissue the same IP address again instead of swapping around in the pool of IP address constantly.

So unless the DHCP is set to 1minute leases, it should take longer than 1minute to renew.

Ok, my bad. Sorry.

I've learned something new today :)