More tweaks @ Main page

Some people found the items too cramped, so we tweaked it, I think we nailed it now!

Added padding and tweaked the headline and byline. Be sure to CTRL+F5 to ensure you're not loading a cached CSS file.

post-2-0-67477700-1312905714.png

Was there an actual reason for changing the main page?

The old design was clear, concise and it looked good as much on desktops as on mobile devices.

New design is full with useless images which make the whole interface cluttered, confusing, and plain ugly.

Don't meant to offend anyone, but I find myself avoiding Neowin... and I've been a long time follower/reader...

Cheers

Awesome, I find it easier to read already! :)

Was there an actual reason for changing the main page?

The old design was clear, concise and it looked good as much on desktops as on mobile devices.

New design is full with useless images which make the whole interface cluttered, confusing, and plain ugly.

Don't meant to offend anyone, but I find myself avoiding Neowin... and I've been a long time follower/reader...

Cheers

I agree about the images. I liked it when articles just had an icon next to them.

Awesome, I find it easier to read already! :)

I agree about the images. I liked it when articles just had an icon next to them.

Well that's the first thing that hits you, when you load the main page.

I dont even want to load it at work, since it looks like I am on a gaming website.

Another remark is for the news articles. I know that the authors should get some credit for the job they are doing but the "About The Author" box is getting annoying...

A link to a site with more info about the author would be a better solution.

It feels like somebody got a high-school project "Design a website" and here we are trouble shooting and tweaking ....

Here is a hint: Try using "simplicity" as a guide to a good web design.

Another update, main page should be faster to load images.

Seemed we didn't have image compression on for news logos / promos. So we're talking about 300-500kb savings (newb on our part)

Another update, main page should be faster to load images.

Seemed we didn't have image compression on for news logos / promos. So we're talking about 300-500kb savings (newb on our part)

Images look awful now :/

Well, we had it, just whoever wrote it (naming no names) didn't read the comment that the function x doesn't actually work, and the correct function to use is function y :p

Well, we had it, just whoever wrote it (naming no names) didn't read the comment that the function x doesn't actually work, and the correct function to use is function y :p

function x did work on the dev site :p

The front page is looking great but the text in the header is looking horrible. I only just noticed it but I'm almost positive it didn't look this bad before.

Neowin-uglytext.png

Viewed on Chrome 15.0.854.0 dev-m.

The front page is looking great but the text in the header is looking horrible. I only just noticed it but I'm almost positive it didn't look this bad before.

Neowin-uglytext.png

Viewed on Chrome 15.0.854.0 dev-m.

Was probably an update within Chrome, or just the font itself having rendering issues on your OS. I know for a fact that a few are best on OS X.

Was probably an update within Chrome, or just the font itself having rendering issues on your OS. I know for a fact that a few are best on OS X.

Sranshaft is using Segoe UI - which should look better on Windows 7 than on OS X.