My friend that I am going through the Campaign with on CoOp cannot play tonight, we got to the beginning of Act IV last night, but I have about an hour or two to play when I get home from work, so if anyone might be interested in checking out Horde or Beast modes or Arcade mode for the earlier Acts, post here and let me know. I will be able to play around 6:30-7 PM Eastern Standard Time US, which is approximately 8 hours from now. If not, I may just see if I can finish Resistance 3 Campaign on the PS3, or just play some MP, so no big deal if no one is around, just thought I would throw the feelers out.

My friend that I am going through the Campaign with on CoOp cannot play tonight, we got to the beginning of Act IV last night, but I have about an hour or two to play when I get home from work, so if anyone might be interested in checking out Horde or Beast modes or Arcade mode for the earlier Acts, post here and let me know. I will be able to play around 6:30-7 PM Eastern Standard Time US, which is approximately 8 hours from now. If not, I may just see if I can finish Resistance 3 Campaign on the PS3, or just play some MP, so no big deal if no one is around, just thought I would throw the feelers out.

6:30-7 is my dinner time . LOL.

heh i'm jealous that you guys are playing and loving this...sounds like it's good. i won't be able to play it til next week when i get back from visiting Chiland. it's really good to be home but my other home has all the gaming stuff heh heh :laugh:

have fun this weekend with this, especially you Vyk and Larry,,.you make the game sound so appetizing.

Played a couple matches of cap n hold ( forget what its officially called ), was on Trench's, got alot of medals for chainsawing people, lol. Was first vs match iv played. Was verry fun, might have to get into multi more

but i could have sworn it said i reached level 10 and unlocked a person ( the guy in the cowboy hat that drove the rig in GoW2) but when i backed out after the match, i was only level 5

Personally I love it. I haven't played the campaign too much, mainly been on TDM and had very very little lag issues (compared with GOW2!)

GOW1 was the first game I played on XBOX and I played it for a LONG time. Definitely got my money's worth.

I feel GOW3 will be played even more. (GOW2 was sold not too long after I finished the campaign) There are so many option for Multiplayer. I haven't even tried Horde yet but am told it is very good..

Im interested in the Selection of " Comming Soon " in the campaign selection, wondering what they are going to end up putting in there

Im interested in the Selection of " Comming Soon " in the campaign selection, wondering what they are going to end up putting in there

It's been confirmed that there will be Campaign sections of DLC. One of them starring Aisha Tyler commanding her own squad or something.

Yeah Im interested I'm sure ill be online than..

javier180

Yeah Im interested I'm sure ill be online than..

javier180

Cool. I just sent you a friend request through XBox.com. Name is DirtyLawrence on Live. Will send you a party invite when I sign on later, and will see if I can get anyone else to join as well.I will have about 90 minutes to play give or take, my wife is getting home tonight from a work trip, so going to unfortunately have to stop for her arrival. :laugh:

Cool. I just sent you a friend request through XBox.com. Name is DirtyLawrence on Live. Will send you a party invite when I sign on later, and will see if I can get anyone else to join as well.I will have about 90 minutes to play give or take, my wife is getting home tonight from a work trip, so going to unfortunately have to stop for her arrival. :laugh:

Thanks I just accepted! nah man, its fine, as long as I can play with new people, it's all good :) Oh btw I dont really have a mic, I use the crappy kinnect to hear people, but its hard for them to understand what I'm saying due to my tv volume.

Guys... if you're a fan of Horde, you HAVE to unlock the Silverback. That thing is so much fun to use. I've already maxed out my level with it (well, it only goes up to level 2) because I'm using it so much. It takes 8/9 waves to save up the cash to buy it but after that.... awww yeah :D

I have a grad school class that I have to drive about an hour-and-a-half to get to (actually about to leave in a bit), or else I'd gladly join everyone this afternoon/tonight.

The final two acts (

besides the submarine level, which is just "eh" -- not bad, but not very good

) are so much better than the preceding chapters. They have a lot of the atmosphere that I felt was missing from the earlier levels. The last chapter especially is a pretty neat twist to the rest of the game, and the storyline about how the characters learn about that location is pretty cool as well. It's also full of action and just very fun in general.

Personally, I felt like the way the story was presented was a massive letdown, though. It seems more goofy and Michael Bay-esque (I know I use that phrase a lot to describe blockbuster games, but if the shoe fits...) than the first two. Characters like Cole and Baird have become even bigger caricatures of themselves. I just don't find the traditional characters interesting anymore, to be honest. I actually loved the two new main characters -- Sam (Samantha) and Jace. They were realistic portrayals of how I think people would act in the situations they've been put in. Sam has a few snarky comments which were funny, but overall she seems level-headed. And Jace seems like a completely real person -- the soldier who you wouldn't expect to be a badass, but is, and is learning the ropes along the way.

I don't know, I think it comes back to my biggest problems with a lot of modern games: horrible cutscenes and poorly directed (by the designer) segments. I don't get why developers insist on using cutscenes -- games are an interactive medium, unlike television or movies, which is an inherent advantage. You shouldn't try to emulate movies, you should try to one-up them. Game like Bioshock, Half-Life 2, and Portal 2 give you interactive cinematic moments that do things far better than cutscenes could. Hell, my two favorite story/cinematic aspects in Gears of War 3 have nothing at all to do with cutscenes --

when the Locust start shooting up from the ground and when the Lambent humans start charging you (and disappear into a neat smoke when you kill them)

. I could write an entire article about how I think Roger Ebert was right about games not being art (a few are -- a very few), but I'll resist. The compressed cutscenes that aren't even in-game also bother me, but maybe I'm being too nit picky.

It probably has something to do with Cliffy B being the designer -- I think he epitomizes the "bro" culture for video games. It's just annoying that the potential of the game goes unrealized in terms of storyline. I don't blame the writer, as I think the general premise is actually really good, it's just poorly executed. I also don't like how they threw in some characters (

Hoffman and Dizzy

) out of seemingly nowhere just to make fans of the franchise happy.

The multiplayer, though... freaking amazing. There's so much game in the multiplayer that I don't even know where to begin. They really refined everything from the beta. The changes to Trenches and Thrashball were absolutely perfect. Trenches is now one of my favorite maps, actually -- it just flows much better. Subtle tweaks like temporary spawn invincibility are also great. All the modes seem to have their purpose, and I could easily see myself hopping from one to another on a whim, just for fun. Plus Horde and Beast mode are great (the changes to Horde had me skeptical, but it works really well -- much more suited for co-op now). I really can't think of anything bad to say about the multiplayer, I just hate getting stuck with morons on my team, which Epic has no control over.

It's not a 10 out of 10 game in my mind, but it's definitely a game of the year contender, led by its strong multiplayer. I know it probably sounds like I'm being really rough on the singleplayer, but it's really enjoyable -- especially the latter half.

Edit: My class got canceled today... more Gears of War 3 for me, yesssssssssss!

Okay, so who else is in for Horde mode in about 45 minutes give or take?

I got freak180, Ayepecks you in now since class was cancelled?

I will start the party and send out the invites, so just let me know, and plan to get going in approximately 45 minutes. (Y)

Also freak180, no problem about the mic. If your interested, I can triple check, but I may have an extra headset I can just give you. I see you live in Philly so I can just try to slap a couple of stamps on it and hope it gets to you. :laugh: I am not 100% sure, but pretty sure I have an extra one, it would be the official one that comes with the controller.

Running just a tad late, will be on in about 15 minutes, freak180, may just be me and you by the looks of things.

Do you know how long the statue have to absorb light? Mine isn't lighting up. lol.

with any reactive paint, it depends on the brightness/type

put it right up to a bright CFL desklamp for a couple minutes ( as in inches away ) and it only got slightly dim. so im assuming at least a couple hours under normal light. still have it in the box as need to make more room on game bookcase, or get another bookcase to display it, if i even do

Some TDM action.. I love Gears 3 more than any other gears before. It's just unbelievable..from single player to multiplayer it truly is epic.

A few good rounds of TDM for those who haven't yet played multiplayer

My bad on forgetting my mic was on mute last night until the last few waves, guys :laugh: I was playing with some people who were just horrible before I joined, so I turned off my mic so I could vent and forgot, hah.

I really want to get the Insane medals for the campaign and horde eventually, if anyone's interested. For the campaign I'm just going to do it on arcade mode, since there's a medal for beating that on insane as well. Obviously I don't plan on getting them done in one sitting, either -- hell, it may take a month or more (on arcade mode everyone has to be on the same difficulty -- so no casual/insane trick).

My bad on forgetting my mic was on mute last night until the last few waves, guys :laugh: I was playing with some people who were just horrible before I joined, so I turned off my mic so I could vent and forgot, hah.

I really want to get the Insane medals for the campaign and horde eventually, if anyone's interested. For the campaign I'm just going to do it on arcade mode, since there's a medal for beating that on insane as well. Obviously I don't plan on getting them done in one sitting, either -- hell, it may take a month or more (on arcade mode everyone has to be on the same difficulty -- so no casual/insane trick).

Brothers to the End, bro. (Y).

I was wondering why I did not really here you. :laugh:

I am back to beating the Campaign with my friend, we have played the same game together the entire time, but we just got to Act 5 tonight before calling it quits, so I think we are almost done. Once we are, all about Horde Mode. Just from playing it those few rounds last night, I really liked it. We checked out some MP after you and Razorwing left, and I was quickly reminded why I never really played the MP in Gears 2, I just cannot compete with the people who do nothing but shotgun, even when I try to do the same. I just cannot get into the groove for some reason. Think the best round I had I went 4-9. I just get super frustrated with the MP, but Horde is fantastic from what I played.

I was wondering why I did not really here you. :laugh:

I am back to beating the Campaign with my friend, we have played the same game together the entire time, but we just got to Act 5 tonight before calling it quits, so I think we are almost done. Once we are, all about Horde Mode. Just from playing it those few rounds last night, I really liked it. We checked out some MP after you and Razorwing left, and I was quickly reminded why I never really played the MP in Gears 2, I just cannot compete with the people who do nothing but shotgun, even when I try to do the same. I just cannot get into the groove for some reason. Think the best round I had I went 4-9. I just get super frustrated with the MP, but Horde is fantastic from what I played.

I hate shotgun fests. I try my best to only use it as a last resort, just because I find them incredibly cheap and lacking in skill. The sawed off shotgun is even worse now, since all someone has to do is literally sprint at you and fire. Unless you've been unloading bullets at them for a good amount of time, you're dead. The biggest suggestion I can give for dealing with shotgun spammers is to pay close attention to sounds -- humans and locusts both make distinct noises when roadie running, and it's pretty obvious when you have someone following you. My favorite move is immediately getting into my own run when I hear someone coming after me, taking a sharp corner and then turning around and unloading on them while they thought they were being hella sneaky :laugh:

I really like the retro lancer for multiplayer. You can impale unsuspecting victims, sure, but the shots are so deadly compared to the hammerburst and regular lancer. Even if someone gets up close with a shotgun you can take them out blind firing at times, so I just like running around with it equipped the entire game.

I hate shotgun fests. I try my best to only use it as a last resort, just because I find them incredibly cheap and lacking in skill. The sawed off shotgun is even worse now, since all someone has to do is literally sprint at you and fire. Unless you've been unloading bullets at them for a good amount of time, you're dead. The biggest suggestion I can give for dealing with shotgun spammers is to pay close attention to sounds -- humans and locusts both make distinct noises when roadie running, and it's pretty obvious when you have someone following you. My favorite move is immediately getting into my own run when I hear someone coming after me, taking a sharp corner and then turning around and unloading on them while they thought they were being hella sneaky :laugh:

I really like the retro lancer for multiplayer. You can impale unsuspecting victims, sure, but the shots are so deadly compared to the hammerburst and regular lancer. Even if someone gets up close with a shotgun you can take them out blind firing at times, so I just like running around with it equipped the entire game.

Thanks for the tips, I will see if I can use them if I actually ever check the MP out again. I will admit, I was so all over the place, I definitely did not hear any noises that tipped off anyone's location, etc. So will remain aware of all of this. Thanks again.