• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Amatuer Radio Question

Jombi    28

Not sure how many of you guys are ham operators. I got my license back in 2008, and didn't get a radio set up until about 5 months ago. I have a Yaesu FT2900R, with a dualband whip antenna. I'm going to going off to another college soon, and would like to take my setup with me. However, I'm not sure which route to take with my radio.

Should I go ahead and use my radio in my house after I move (I already have a power converter), and go ahead and buy a handheld for the car? Or should I just set it up in my car and call it a day?

One reason I'm wary about having it in my car is, I rarely do anything when I'm driving. If I'm doing anything except driving, I'm either talking on the phone or texting. Not safe, but oh well. So I don't exactly want another distraction device in there. But I also don't think it'll be any more distraction than the FM radio.

idk, I'm torn on what to do. Anybody here that has a radio and experience? I'd be much obliged.

Travelar    35

I have a Yaesu FT8800, which is a vehicle radio. Since I haven't bought a base station yet, I use it in both places. I commute... and I typically leave it in the car during the week. It's 3 cables and I can easily swap it back and forth. Obviously I have separate antennas for base and vehicle to maximize ease of swapping.

Hope that helps...

KB3UDL

0V3RS1GHT    0

That's some good advice from TrAvELAr there. I just took my Icom 32A handheld with me when I went off to college and left my HF rig at home. Lived in a dorm my first year, then moved about twice a year after that so I never really had a place to move my setup. But if you've got a place with enough room to set up an antenna and know you're going to be there for a while, I say go for it.

KD7JGK

Jombi    28

Yeah, I imagine moving my radio to/from the car would be easy. I just have to lift it out of the bracketing, unplug the power and antenna, and take it inside. What I'm more getting at is, how distracting can it be? And, would a small 2m handheld be more convenient in the car?

Travelar    35

That's what I get for multi-tasking. As for being a distraction, it is not. I often only just listen. A few times when I've been talking and the road needed my attention, I just broke out of rotation on the net and monitored until I was clear with whatever needed my attention. If I'm in the vehicle, I either have the XM radio on or the rig. I don't find either to be a distraction, especially when just monitoring.

ILikeTobacco    839

Yeah, I imagine moving my radio to/from the car would be easy. I just have to lift it out of the bracketing, unplug the power and antenna, and take it inside. What I'm more getting at is, how distracting can it be? And, would a small 2m handheld be more convenient in the car?

If you are anything like me, it would be extremely distracting. I would set up inside for a while till you find the freqs that most people talk on in that area. Otherwise youll be extremely distracted driving around trying to find someone to talk to. Once you have a few frequencies that you can sit on knowing someone will be there in most cases and have those saved to your radio, then put it in your car.