Just ordered first DSLR

I went with a Canon 5D MK II, body only.

As for the candy to go with it I got...

- Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

- Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

- Canon Speedlite 580EX II

- Extra Battery

- 2 16gb Lexar Professional CF 600x

- Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod W/QR Ballhead

- Rocket Air Blaster

- Lens pen cleaning kit

- Lowepro Fastpack 350

Is there anything else I should get, for starters? I like the idea of prime lenses, so thats why I went with them.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the 24-70mm f/2.8L lens... I thought about the zoom thing and with my daughter on the cusp of walking, I decided the wider angle and zoomability would be nice for fast-framing moments.

Edited by spedanden

Nice - i've been dreaming of a nice camera too but girlfriend not budging or buying it for me for a christmas gift! :( I'll have to settle for a "Super-Zoom" but congrats on a great camera!

Do get a zoom lens. While primes are awesome and everything, you would hate every minute for not being able to zoom in. So, since you roll in cash, or so it seems, consider getting 24-70 or 70-200, depending on what you prefer shooting the most.

I love my battery grip on my DSLR but if you aren't doing any long shoots or adventures probably might be better to spend money else where. The main reason i got mine was to have a trigger when I'm shooting portrait.

Nice - i've been dreaming of a nice camera too but girlfriend not budging or buying it for me for a christmas gift! :( I'll have to settle for a "Super-Zoom" but congrats on a great camera!

Decent super zoom cost as much or more than a cheap dslr though....

Wow your first DSLR and you went for over 4K USD in equipment? I must say I'm jealous!

You seem to have everything you need apart from a "flexible" lens which can zoom as you need. Fixed length lenses are good when you know what zoom level you need, otherwise it can get tough :p

Yeah, the wife is normally pretty tough to crack on purchases for 'toys"... but I'm really passionate about this and would like to make it a side career. Plus we have a 7 month baby girl, a perfect photo subject.

Do get a zoom lens. While primes are awesome and everything, you would hate every minute for not being able to zoom in. So, since you roll in cash, or so it seems, consider getting 24-70 or 70-200, depending on what you prefer shooting the most.

I've been back and forth on the matter, and I tested the 50mm and 135mm on the full frame and I like the focal lengths to start with. Later I might change my mind. Probably would opt for the 24-70, but 1300 on top of what I spent is too much for a "hobby" right now.

I love my battery grip on my DSLR but if you aren't doing any long shoots or adventures probably might be better to spend money else where. The main reason i got mine was to have a trigger when I'm shooting portrait.

That will likely be the first add-on I buy, past the original purchases.

Wow your first DSLR and you went for over 4K USD in equipment? I must say I'm jealous!

You seem to have everything you need apart from a "flexible" lens which can zoom as you need. Fixed length lenses are good when you know what zoom level you need, otherwise it can get tough :p

When it comes to cameras in my opinion, the differences in the starter Canons and the 5DMKII are astronomical. 7D being very close in quality, but I wanted full frame. I'm blessed to be financially able, and spouse-ally allowed.

Yeah, Ill probably give in and get one when I get these and realize I need more focal lengths.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the 24-70mm f/2.8L lens... I thought about the zoom thing and with my daughter on the cusp of walking, I decided the wider angle and zoomability would be nice for fast-framing moments.

Grats on everything!

Is this a Sigma or L?

Is there anything else I should get, for starters?

What's your stance on the UV filters? Are you planning on getting one? If so, which one is it?

p.s. just noticed your "joined" date, haha ;)

When it comes to cameras in my opinion, the differences in the starter Canons and the 5DMKII are astronomical. 7D being very close in quality, but I wanted full frame. I'm blessed to be financially able, and spouse-ally allowed.

Image quality, not so much. The more expensive cameras give you more features, more ruggedness, more FPS, etc, but the sensors are very similar across the entire range and core image quality doesn't change that much at all with the same lenses. Obviously you get more megapixels, but megapixels ? quality.

Image quality, not so much. The more expensive cameras give you more features, more ruggedness, more FPS, etc, but the sensors are very similar across the entire range and core image quality doesn't change that much at all with the same lenses. Obviously you get more megapixels, but megapixels ? quality.

Well I believe he got a full frame camera(though I'm no expert on the horrible Canon naming conventions), in which case yes, there is a image quality difference. sharper pictures, less noise and I believe more DOF, though that doesn't really have anything to do with image quality as such.

HOWEVER, for the pictures he's takign he would probably take better or as good pictures with a Nikon 3100 or 5100 at a fraction of the cost :)

That is some seriously awesome gear for a first DSLR, I hope you make the best of it and take great photos. Feel free to ask in this forum for any help or questions you may have.

Woah, you really went all out! :laugh:

Are you new to photography? Or is this just your first DSLR?? :)

I used to have a Canon 35mm about 10 years ago. I knew nothing about the technical side of photography, and just loved shooting. This is my first DSLR, and I wanted/was able to go all out (within my means).

What's your stance on the UV filters? Are you planning on getting one? If so, which one is it?

p.s. just noticed your "joined" date, haha ;)

Maybe, I do like the effect hey have in certain scenarios.

High five on the join date :)

Well I believe he got a full frame camera(though I'm no expert on the horrible Canon naming conventions), in which case yes, there is a image quality difference. sharper pictures, less noise and I believe more DOF, though that doesn't really have anything to do with image quality as such.

HOWEVER, for the pictures he's takign he would probably take better or as good pictures with a Nikon 3100 or 5100 at a fraction of the cost :)

Nikons and I have a bad past. Kind of like getting food poisoning, you never eat that meal that gave it to you again.

That is some seriously awesome gear for a first DSLR, I hope you make the best of it and take great photos. Feel free to ask in this forum for any help or questions you may have.

Ill take tons of photos next week and post my Flickr here. And Im sure ill have a lot of questions, im still a noob.

Great gear!

Thanks!!

I don't know if others would agree, but for the first 3 months I'd put just one lens on your body and get used to using that. Explore the settings in your camera. Get down to using manual mode, and then move onto a different lens and try to master that.

Check this out:

http://www.expertphotography.com/understanding-exposure

He has some other great tutorials :)

Very nice, I bookmarked the site.

You can post your pictures here: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/965060-neowin-digital-gallery-yearly-edition/ Using Argote's flickr to ipb app: http://flickr.argote.mx/

Ohhhh. Fancy!

I don't know if others would agree, but for the first 3 months I'd put just one lens on your body and get used to using that. Explore the settings in your camera. Get down to using manual mode, and then move onto a different lens and try to master that.

Good advice, thanks.

Indeed. Preferably choose the one with a fixed focal length.

edit: well, that won't be hard since both lenses you bought have a fixed focal length :shifty: .

Indeed. Preferably choose the one with a fixed focal length.

edit: well, that won't be hard since both lenses you bought have a fixed focal length :shifty: .

That's funny, I don't remember my 24-70 being fixed focal length :p

The others are right though, you need to learn to use your camera blind, explore EVERY feature and properly learn what it does. You don't want to have to keep looking at your camera to change settings to get that perfect shot.

The 5D has a top window so you can quickly glance at settings :)

sharper pictures, less noise and I believe more DOF, though that doesn't really have anything to do with image quality as such.

Weeeeellllll... I mean, I guess you're right, but a full-frame sensor that has the same pixel density as an APS-sized sensor will yield identical pictures, quality-wise - the APS one will just be smaller. However, there's not much to call between them.

On topic - Congrats - the 5D mk2 will be an epic camera. I used to have an original 5D and it was an amazing piece of kit and lasted me I think six years before it literally started to fall apart after I dragged up too many mountains and screws started falling out. I ended up replacing it with a 7D since the 5Dmk2 was a bit costy for me, and I adore my 7D. I do miss full-frame, though - not for the image quality, but the 1.6x magnification on all my lenses means I need to buy an expensive super-wide lens for some of the shots I want to do!

Wow, nice set of gear. Not sure if you got it already but the 24-70L is pretty nice. I use it as my main lens since it's quite versatile. I'm sure it would be even better on a full frame. I guess I'll save up for when the 5dMk3 comes out.

Weeeeellllll... I mean, I guess you're right, but a full-frame sensor that has the same pixel density as an APS-sized sensor will yield identical pictures, quality-wise - the APS one will just be smaller. However, there's not much to call between them.

On topic - Congrats - the 5D mk2 will be an epic camera. I used to have an original 5D and it was an amazing piece of kit and lasted me I think six years before it literally started to fall apart after I dragged up too many mountains and screws started falling out. I ended up replacing it with a 7D since the 5Dmk2 was a bit costy for me, and I adore my 7D. I do miss full-frame, though - not for the image quality, but the 1.6x magnification on all my lenses means I need to buy an expensive super-wide lens for some of the shots I want to do!

I got it and its great, I put some pics in the picture post. Not AMAZING but for my first shots with a DSLR, not too bad.

Wow, nice set of gear. Not sure if you got it already but the 24-70L is pretty nice. I use it as my main lens since it's quite versatile. I'm sure it would be even better on a full frame. I guess I'll save up for when the 5dMk3 comes out.

Thanks :) I originally planned on it, but decided on the kit lens package (24-105L f/4) and the 50mm 1.4. Those will suffice til i learn how to use the camera and can grasp exposure better.