• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Recommend me a BluRay player

medium_pimpin    202

Looking at finally getting a BluRay player. I want one that will connect to Netflix, Pandora, etc and either has built in wifi or can come with an adapter. Most of the units I've checked out on amazon or newegg has a decent amount of complains. Especially regarding response time when streaming Netflix.

Thx

Crisp    3,271

Playstation 3.

Mountain Dew    5

I'm not much of a Playstation fan, but I have to admit that the PS3 is probably the best blu-ray player on the market still.

I've owned 3. The reason being that I just wasn't using it for anything other than blu-ray and figured I could just use a PC drive, so returned my first one, and sold my second one to a friend.

I found out over time that there's a lot of things the PS3 does right when it comes to blu-ray that standalone & PC drives just don't do, like having the updates that allow for new features like Blu-Ray 3D and such.

That's why I just bought the 3rd one from a friend who was in the same predicament as me...wasn't using it & they bought a PC drive. I warned them, but they sold it to me for $150...so I wasn't going to say no.

medium_pimpin    202

Thanks, but no PS3 for me. Anything other suggestions?

DrakeN2k    113

PS3

Mountain Dew    5

I work for Xbox, which means if anyone wouldn't be recommending the PS3 it would be me.

The question is why wouldn't you want the single most upgradable, future-proof blu-ray player in existence?

WiFi? It has it built-in.

Netflix, Hulu Plus? Totally available.

Blu-Ray 3D? Check

What's it missing?

Nerd Rage    531

I'm curious as to your reasons to discount it. It's arguably the best Blu-ray player on the market and integrates with Hulu and Netflix seamlessly.

medium_pimpin    202

Most of the players I found were ~$150. Granted, I hadn't found one with perfect reviews. But, correct me if I'm wrong, a PS3 is $300.

Xerax    182

I work for Xbox, which means if anyone wouldn't be recommending the PS3 it would be me.

The question is why wouldn't you want the single most upgradable, future-proof blu-ray player in existence?

WiFi? It has it built-in.

Netflix, Hulu Plus? Totally available.

Blu-Ray 3D? Check

What's it missing?

I'm a major MS fanboy (windows, WP7, xbox, zune software ect). And i agree with Mountain Dew. It's one of the cheapest and has the most features. (just use fake details for online ;)).

Crisp    3,271

I work for Xbox, which means if anyone wouldn't be recommending the PS3 it would be me...

O'rly? So you're the guy to suck up to if we want inside things done?

shakey    1,127

There is no reason to say no to a ps3, even if you will just use it as a stand alone player. It is the most upgradable player out there, along with offering every perk a player could. 7.1 True HD, 3D, Java, and many other reasons. It has a harddrive on it, so movies you watch often can be cached, thus allowing you to use bluray+ online features with ease and quickness.

It also being a great media server for you to stream PC movies to your TV is a plus, along with Hulu, Netflix, and many more services coming up, it would be unwise of you to ignore it.

HSoft    400

Hate to say it but if you want an affordable Blu-Ray player with everything you want and more, the PS3 is the choice to go for. I bought mine purely as a Blu-Ray player as I have my xbox as my games console (although admittedly since I bought it I have bought a couple of games for it and the PS Move system, but it's main use is as a Blu-Ray and media player).

HawkMan    5,232

Any higher end buRay players. i.e. not one of the 150 dollars or below ones.

Generally Sony makes good ones, though I wouldn't recommend the PS3 as it suffers much of the same problem as the cheaper ones.

But grab one of the higher end Sony ones, Samsung is probably decent to, but I'd shy away from them and LG. the cheap ones and to a lesser degree the PS3 are to slow, take forever to even start the movie. IF you are itnerested in the bluRay extras, you'll also want to stay away form the cheap ones, as you'll run out of memory to install the "apps" on after about 1 movie...

Also for those reccomending PS3 for media streaming. all the higher end BluRay players also do DLNA media streaming just like the PS3, but often with more built in format support depending on brand. meaning you don't have to convert, use PS3 media server or change containers and all that. It'll just play stuff. I have a cheap samsung, which ufnorutnately is one level below DLNA, but supports every format I throw at one on memory stick. but suffers from the long startup time for BluRay's as all the cheaper ones do.

if I owned more than ... 6 bluRays and actually actively bought physical media, I'd buy a more expensive players. but 99.99% of movies I watch once, I don't see why I would buy them. Just not worth it.

Mountain Dew    5

PS3 not even close to best player on the market, but here is one for $500 that is up there with the very best. I highly recommend this:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

You're right. I'm sorry. I apologize to everyone in this thread.

This blu-ray player does everything the PS3 does & more...because it also does Blockbuster on Demand... :shifty:

All for only $200 more.

I'm being slightly facetious, it does have a couple other features like the dual HDMI to ensure you can do Blu-Ray 3D is you're using a receiver that isn't 3D Capable, so you can pass sound using one, and video direct to the TV using the other.

That said, yes the PS3 is about $300 if you buy the 160GB model new from the store, but any PS3 (including used models) can use all these features, and sales do happen. That's who my friend got this PS3 for $200, and why they were fine with selling it to me as a friend for $150 after like 1 month of use.

Any higher end buRay players. i.e. not one of the 150 dollars or below ones.

Generally Sony makes good ones, though I wouldn't recommend the PS3 as it suffers much of the same problem as the cheaper ones.

The cheap ones and to a lesser degree the PS3 are to slow, take forever to even start the movie.

Wait what? The PS3 boots pretty fast (way faster than any other BD-Player I've owned), and when I put in a disc it starts just as fast as any DVD player I've owned. If there's interactive features I do end up seeing the 'loading' screen for about 2 seconds, maybe 3.

Also I don't know why you would recommend against Samsung & LG (snipped that part out to save space), especially Samsung since they make some of the best mid-range (price-wise) blu-ray players on the market.

Mountain Dew    5

O'rly? So you're the guy to suck up to if we want inside things done?

Not so much anymore. I used to work on a very specific team (who was actually in the tech news recently) but switched to a more 'humdrum' team for better pay. ;)

HawkMan    5,232

I don't recommend samsung because they're not terribly good, and their UI is pretty slow and horrible.

personally I would recommend the Sony 480, or 580 (if you need WiFi, I'd recommend cabled anyway, especially if you're going to stream video)

HOWEVER, IF you're going to stream video, then I would recommend a higher end Samsung anyway. Since Sony is a bit Anal about their media support compared to Samsung and LG.

LG is decent enough UNTILL you have a problem. then you're up **** creek.

As for the startup time of your PS3 and the startup time of the disk int he PS3. REAL WORLD experience tells me you're painting a glorified picture ;) it's faster than my older generation cheap samsung, but it's by no means anywhere near the speed you're talking about. Neither the fat or the slim. We use both of them daily for demo purposes so...

Besides all that, I want a BluRay player with a real remote. and since I would combine it with my full setup, I want a real IR remote so I can use my Harmony ONE on it. without paying an extortion fee for the harmony adapter.

Mountain Dew    5

Here is Cnets Review of the PS3 Slim as a Bluray stand alone.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10316079-1.html

Pretty fair review, and it pits it up against some good bluray players.

ZOMG you and I agreeing on something /faints

That said, that review is pretty out of date, since then Blu-Ray 3D has been added, Hulu has been added, they've done a ton of optimization work so things load a ton faster now, and various other improvements just this year alone.

shakey    1,127

ZOMG you and I agreeing on something /faints

That said, that review is pretty out of date, since then Blu-Ray 3D has been added, Hulu has been added, they've done a ton of optimization work so things load a ton faster now, and various other improvements just this year alone.

True, but it still painted a good picture of what to expect. As more time passes, the ps3 bluray player just keeps getting more and more added. For its price range and what it can provide, it is pretty cheap if you think about it. We didn't even mention that it has a web browser for Youtube and streaming of website shows, like using ProjectTV.com and watching all TV and Movie streams just fine.

The only downside I think is what Hawkman said about the controller. It is bluetooth, so most universals will not function properly or even at all with it. There is a ps3 media remote, which can come free with your ps3 or separate, depending on what bundle you get, but can not act as a universal remote for all.

Sylar0    111

My advice Sony they created the format internet services are good.

BillyJack    41

Some of the things to consider. Some blueray players will stream HD and some do not. I think its because of Netflix but who knows. Some will play 5.1 sound and some do not. Some will let you search and add streaming movies to your queue from the device and others you have to search and add from a pc. Some will let you search and add dvds to your queue from the device and others will not. Interfaces are different on devices too. There might be other differences as well. Some players will have other services like Hulu so you might think about that. Also some players get firmware or software updates which is good.

I have a LG BD390. It is one of the fastest players for loading blueray movie discs. It streams Netflix and in HD but I have to add the movies from the pc and it does not stream 5.1. It does not have Hulu but has a few other movie rental services. It gets frequent software and firmware updates.

Mountain Dew    5

Some of the things to consider. Some blueray players will stream HD and some do not. I think its because of Netflix but who knows. Some will play 5.1 sound and some do not. Some will let you search and add streaming movies to your queue from the device and others you have to search and add from a pc. Some will let you search and add dvds to your queue from the device and others will not. Interfaces are different on devices too. There might be other differences as well. Some players will have other services like Hulu so you might think about that. Also some players get firmware or software updates which is good.

I have a LG BD390. It is one of the fastest players for loading blueray movie discs. It streams Netflix and in HD but I have to add the movies from the pc and it does not stream 5.1. It does not have Hulu but has a few other movie rental services. It gets frequent software and firmware updates.

None of them should let you add dvd's from the device since Netflix shutdown the API for that.

Boxster17    78

Was looking into some of this stuff for my parents as they wanted something similar to what you had listed. One of the more recommended ones I cam across was the Panasonic Panasonic DMP-BDT310 (would recommend the 210 but have heard issues with Netflix).

Though as others mentioned, if you can find a good deal on a PS3 that would likely be the route to go. The media center capabilities of it are great and is actually probably one of the main reasons I decided to drop cable TV (found myself wanting to stream to the TV more than I wanted to watch actual live TV). If you can hold out a little longer, wait and see what Gamescom brings as there's a lot of rumors going around about a PS3 price drop announcement.

jerzdawg    338

Check out the Sony s470. I got one about 6 months ago and I'm happy with the response time on Bluray playback and Netflix streaming. It doe not have wifi built in but I'm sure Sony has an equivalent model.

Edit .. Just saw hawk mans post and looks like the 580 is your best bet