Lighter replacement for Nikon D300 / 18-200mm

As much as I love my setup, it's just too heavy to lug around all day. I have 2 year old twins and I just cant move quickly enough with it to capture the shots I want of them.

I'm in love with the Fujifilm finepix x100 but the fact that the lens is a prime is a big turn off! I love having that 18-200 reach!

Anything else that can meet me in the middle? Would the G12 or P7000 be a worthy replacement? But the fact that the lens isnt interchangeable is the big turn off for me with these cameras.

I've postponed the replacement because I love my D300 but I know it's a change that must happen.I know I'll have to either give up the reach or interchangeable lenses; I just haven't decided which one it will be!!

With the finepix x100 I know I'll be giving up both, but the fact that it reminds me of my old canon rangefinder makes it such an appealing choice!

Maybe you can try the Sony NEX series, or one of the lighter entry level DSLRs which are quite good nowadays (D3100, T3i, A55, etc).

May as well go w/ a D3100 (or D5100, which is the same size as D3100) since you already have the 18-200mm. The D5100's sensor is better than the D300, and you'll have video options. You just won't have the speed(autofocus/FPS/buffers)/durability of the D300.

The D3100 (and D3000, D5000, D5100) are all two "sizes" smaller than the D300.

In terms of size of Nikon's current line up, it goes: D3s > D700/D300s > D7000/D90 > D5100/D3100.

can't have the best of both worlds. maybe look into a m8/9 if you like range finder, it give u the option to change ur lens unlike the hybrid x100.

can't have the best of both worlds. maybe look into a m8/9 if you like range finder, it give u the option to change ur lens unlike the hybrid x100.

You're telling me; but at over 6,000 dollars the Leicas are out of my reach!!

Any Lumix GF2 owners?

used M8 could be had a sub 2000 :o

Where do you see this? cheapest I see is 2500!

Just learn to use different cameras for the right purpose. Use the D300 she you take photos, special occasions and for adventures and trips out of the ordinary. Then get a good compact, super zoom or not, without an interchangeable lens, just a small light compact, and carry that with you to take photos of random situations and stuff.